The police spent 18 hours blowing up this man’s house to catch a shoplifter update post 23 cops owe no money for damages

I keep saying it. It's time the adults in the room commence to serious discussions about dissolving the "Union" in a soft-landing matter, before circumstances dictate something other.

He did... but that's not the point. The gov is pushing their responsibility off onto the private sector.

I agree; I'm just curious.

Because if it were me and the insurance payout was otherwise sufficient, but I lost the lawsuit against the cops, I would just leave the building there unrepaired, all smashed to pieces to be an eye sore for the town. That's assuming the rest of the town doesn't look similar so that it would be a problem to them to have a trashed building there.

He did... but that's not the point. The gov is pushing their responsibility off onto the private sector.
An insurance claim will never make you 100% whole - adjusters see to that. And that's before the costs associated with lost use, lost of irreplaceable items, lost time, ..., are counted.

his home insurance company paid him $345,000 for the damage
I find it hard to believe that any insurance company would compensate the insured when they could legitimately point the finger at the responsible party (the cops) for the damage. Maybe the court had to order them to pay?

Honestly, the Roger Pion method would be totally appropriate. I’m sure the agents involved in destroying the home wouldn’t be happy about their own home being destroyed. I’d get a chuckle out of it though.

An insurance claim will never make you 100% whole - adjusters see to that. And that's before the costs associated with lost use, lost of irreplaceable items, lost time, ..., are counted.
I had a house fire in 2010. I had these private insurance adjusters banging on my door 2 hours later. (ambulance chasers). I signed a contract with one of them, He ended up getting 6% of my total claim. Lets just say, he earned his money plus some. I was made whole plus a whole lot more. I promote these private adjusters anytime possible.

"Finally, contrary to the Lechs’ position, we see no indication that defining the police power broadly enough to encompass the defendants’ actions in this case will signal to police they may “act with impunity to destroy property” or deprive them of “reason to limit the destruction” they cause simply “because they will not bear the burden of the cost and will be absolved of any responsibility” for their actions. This argument overlooks other limits placed on the police power."

Yes yes, those other limits in place. What are they again? Oh right, due process, as found in the 5th amendment. Wait a second. Which amendment are they alleging was violated in this lawsuit? That wouldn't happen to be the 5th amendment, would it? The one you just said wasn't violated and doesn't require compensation? It is? So much for those "other limits".

“So long as the government’s exercise of authority was pursuant to some power other than eminent domain, then the plaintiff has failed to state a claim for compensation under the Fifth Amendment. The innocence of the property owner does not factor into the determination.”

Got it. If they simply call it something other than eminent domain, than you can take and destroy anyone's property you want, without compensation.

When the state acts to preserve the “safety of the public,” the state “is not, and, consistent with the existence and safety of organized society, cannot be, burdened with the condition that the state must compensate affected property owners for pecuniary losses they may sustain” in the process. Thus, “as unfair as it may seem,” the Takings Clause simply “does not entitle all aggrieved owners to recompense.

Right right, it's a huge BURDEN on the state to find ways to arrest shoplifters if you cannot destroy innocent peoples homes AND have to compensate them, nevertheless just not destroy their home at all. We all know there is no other reasonable way to arrest people if you can't blow stuff up. None. So when you do blow innocent people's stuff up, you definitely shouldn't have to compensate them. No way! That's asinine!

I wonder if one of our NES lawyers might drop in and tell us if the suit was worded poorly so that it didn't stand a chance?

"Finally, contrary to the Lechs’ position, we see no indication that defining the police power broadly enough to encompass the defendants’ actions in this case will signal to police they may “act with impunity to destroy property” or deprive them of “reason to limit the destruction” they cause simply “because they will not bear the burden of the cost and will be absolved of any responsibility” for their actions. This argument overlooks other limits placed on the police power."

Yes yes, those other limits in place. What are they again? Oh right, due process, as found in the 5th amendment. Wait a second. Which amendment are they alleging was violated in this lawsuit? That wouldn't happen to be the 5th amendment, would it? The one you just said wasn't violated and doesn't require compensation? It is? So much for those "other limits".

“So long as the government’s exercise of authority was pursuant to some power other than eminent domain, then the plaintiff has failed to state a claim for compensation under the Fifth Amendment. The innocence of the property owner does not factor into the determination.”

Got it. If they simply call it something other than eminent domain, than you can take and destroy anyone's property you want, without compensation.

When the state acts to preserve the “safety of the public,” the state “is not, and, consistent with the existence and safety of organized society, cannot be, burdened with the condition that the state must compensate affected property owners for pecuniary losses they may sustain” in the process. Thus, “as unfair as it may seem,” the Takings Clause simply “does not entitle all aggrieved owners to recompense.

Right right, it's a huge BURDEN on the state to find ways to arrest shoplifters if you cannot destroy innocent peoples homes AND have to compensate them, nevertheless just not destroy their home at all. We all know there is no other reasonable way to arrest people if you can't blow stuff up. None. So when you do blow innocent people's stuff up, you definitely shouldn't have to compensate them. No way! That's asinine!

Duh... the Eminent Domain just identifies as Police Work.

Imagine that a guy is safely surrounded and locked inside a building, and we just... you know... waited him out with some coffee and donuts.

When they finally went in the guy was just chillen all drugged up in the bathroom. Their public safety excuse is bullshit.

When cops have more power to blow stuff up because they feel like it with utter disregard for who it impacts than actual militaries in combat, something is very very wrong. Collateral damage? Who cares, we’re the police!

When they finally went in the guy was just chillen all drugged up in the bathroom. Their public safety excuse is bullshit.

When cops have more power to blow stuff up because they feel like it with utter disregard for who it impacts than actual militaries in combat, something is very very wrong. Collateral damage? Who cares, we’re the police!

OMG the Police! Call the Terrorists!

Duh... the Eminent Domain just identifies as Police Work.

Imagine that a guy is safely surrounded and locked inside a building, and we just... you know... waited him out with some coffee and donuts.

Or send a little rover or drone in there and see what he is up to. Just laying around? Okay we are going in now, no need to destroy the building. Brookstone used to sell these for $200.

Or send a little rover or drone in there and see what he is up to. Just laying around? Okay we are going in now, no need to destroy the building. Brookstone used to sell these for $200.

I’m pretty sure they did use robots. Wasn’t fun enough, and they still had other toys to play with, so they used them all and blew up the house, which was awesome! The joy it brought them was more than worth the zero dollars they had to pay for the destruction.

The homeowner should go to the town and tell them he's not saying any property taxes until he's even on the cost of the damage the town employees caused to his property.

That ought to stir up some shit.

The homeowner should go to the town and tell them he's not saying any property taxes until he's even on the cost of the damage the town employees caused to his property.

Also a great way to guarantee a return visit from said .gov employees.

they'd be cool with it. Eventually the house/lot goes on sale for tax non-payment. The beuracrats will get paid regardless.

As with other methods used to pierce corp veil, I wander if some attorney or firm would want to pursue a cause to sue officers personally.

Also, I hope PDs don't get that drone tech and start nuking res houses while some shoplifter may be hiding there. No reason not to and you don't even need to ride in a cruiser to the location. Just munch on donuts and steer the drone.

brush up on your trap and skeet skills

oh, no, I didn't mean that Best Buy shitty drones, at some point some of the bigger military hardware will trickle down to PDs like all those bear cats and MGs ... so much for no standing army withing bordres.

plus good luck attacking king's men, your all hood will become one giant smoking crater ... and non one will be responsible, lol.

Back
Top Bottom