The Old Gun Laws

I Remember back in 1972 when I was 18 years old, living in a city on the north shore. They had a LTC and FID card that was obtainable at 16 y.o. The LTC could be issued to anyone 18 y.o. and over. Since I had connections the COP issued me and my father a LTC, but I could NOT purchase a handgun or AMMO for it until I was 21. I went to Coleman's sporting goods and had my father buy me a S+W model 19 .357 magnum for $135 cash. I had more fun with that gun target shooting at a local gun club and plinking in the woods. To this day I still have a LTC. Three years ago I sold the 19 for much more than I paid and purchased another type of handgun. I have been in love with guns, shooting, duck and pheasant hunting for as far back as I remember. Little did I ever know that I would be carrying a gun for 25 years as a requirement of my occupation. Anyone else ever get a permit back then at 18 years old?

Bought my first new handgun from a dealer on the lonesome plains of Illinios when I was 18.
No paperwork except a receipt, dated 3 days earlier to comply with the "3 day waiting period".
It was an Iver Johnson .32 revolver, long since gone.
Guns show transactions were strictly cash & carry, no ID, no paperwork.
I still remember passing up a Colt single action for $35 because the finish was about gone and buying a nice Webly MKIV, converted to .45 ACP.
Things were sure a lot simpler in '66 [thinking]
My local dealer once opened a footlocker, stuffed to the top with like new military surplus Browning HP's. Price was $50.
Of course, that was a week's pay and I couldn't afford it.
In those days, I could only afford to have one handgun and one rifle or shotgun at a time. It was easy to remember where it shot, if you only had to remember one. It's interesting to note that most folks that shoot only one gun seem to be pretty good with it.[wink]

Can't recall exactly when the first purchase from an actual dealer was, but I know the paperwork consisted of a sales receipt on a slip essentially identical to the ones my great aunt used to use in their grocery store. The late 50's and early 60's were an entirely different universe from the one we live in today. Why we even bought mail order handguns with the same lack of forms, permits and licenses.

Ken

Ah, yes mail order. I'd about forgotten about that.
Two 1917 S&W revolvers, from Century Arms for $25 each.
Sitting in the apartment hallway until I got home from work and nobody bothered to steal them.
I was living in the "big city" at the time, and used to ride home from the gunshop on the subway with a rifle slung over my shoulder. It didn't even get a second glance.

I caught part of a "JFK Assassination" documentary last night, and it mentioned how Lee Harvey Oswalk bought his S&W Revolver that he killed someone with and his Rifle that he shot JFK with, via mail order. Now people won't even ship you preban mags because you live in MA...amazing.

Back
Top Bottom