The Old Fox and New Colt.

Greg Derr

Gun Smith
Dealer
NES Member
A new Series 80 with some upgrades. Color case hardening by Tyler, mammoth grips by Boone. I think the only original parts are the frame and slide. Comments welcome, this is the first color case hardened gun I have done.

O4zde62.jpg

xRtpufQ.jpg

OEl3B13.jpg

uM6GHpX.jpg

Outstanding work, as usual. Really like the case hardening visuals.

IMHO, I understand the non-glare function of a matte blasted finish but my personal preference would be another finish to better complement the case hardening. I'd prefer a glossy buffed finish or at least a semi-gloss brushed finish. Perhaps even a very fine glass bead blast to retain a little gloss and 'dark' look. Not to take away from the beautiful work, and the combo is growing on me a little after a second look. Just giving you some different perspective & one of these days I'd could just commission what I want, LOL.

If no one else is going to say it, I will. Fabulous photography work too!

I know I'm getting repetitive about this, but I'm still waiting for you to do a coffee table picture book of your work.[grin]

Very nice work, as always!

Since you are looking for feedback on the case hardening, I personally do not like how the frame and slide don’t match. It looks to me like a mismatch gun, new slide on a very old frame. If you could somehow case harden the sides of slide, but leave the top and bottom a matt finish, I think that would tie it together better. If you case hardened the whole slide, it would be too much. Just my 2 cents!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom