• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Elusive East German SKS - Pictorial

When referencing the uncommon SKS's, the 'Big Three' are considered: Type-1 from North Vietnam, Type-63 from North Korea, and the Karabiner-S from East Germany. Of these three combined, there are still under 100 specimens recorded in the US by the Simonov collector hounds. The following example brings the total to twenty-five known East German SKS's. All of the Big Three SKS's are non-imports, and all but a few European Presentation guns are Vietnam bringbacks.

Enjoy the pics, and as always, thanks for looking.

DDR_001.JPG

DDR_003.JPG

DDR_0041.JPG

DDR_005.JPG

DDR_006.JPG

DDR_007.JPG

DDR_0081.JPG

DDR_009.JPG

DDR_011.JPG

DDR_0131.JPG

DDR_012.JPG

DDR_014.JPG

DDR_015.JPG

DDR_016.JPG

DDR_0171.JPG

DDR_0181.JPG

DDR_020.JPG

DDR_0021.JPG

As you can see, there is much patina and pitting from its stint in the SE Asian jungle environment. And as usual, the the MNRV (DDR Ministry of Defense) sunburst stamp which precedes the serial number has been stamped out. But a careful examination of the macro pics shows it to be from one of the three known arsenals of 20z (1a and 1b are the other arsenals).

This is a complete matching unit, and highly desirable. So desirable, in fact, that it won't be in my collection for long. It is already traded for a Type-63 North Korean which should join my other Karabiner-S and Type-1 NVA. Three years in the pursuit, my Big Three quest will be complete.

I've been away from the SKS boards for a while. Looks like I'll have to check in and see how all this came to be.[grin]

It's not on the SKS Boards under my ownership, Ray. Since I'm only going to have it in my possession for a few days, I'll wait for the new owner to put it up in his name. The next owner isn't a member here, so this pictorial will be the only chance for NES Members to see it.

But you can bet that the North Korean that is coming will have some air time. [wink]

Nice!

Question... why are SKS's from those countries hard so rare?

Low production numbers, very few allowed out of the country, destroyed after being discontinued from service, combination of any/all of those?

Nice!

Question... why are SKS's from those countries hard so rare?

Low production numbers, very few allowed out of the country, destroyed after being discontinued from service, combination of any/all of those?

None were ever imported so what is here are bringbacks.

Correct.

Aside from two or three presentation and/or smuggled units from behind the Berlin Wall, the only source for these DDR manufactured guns would be from Vietnam.

There are stories about some being issued in the Balkans and North Africa, but these should be treated as stories until hard evidence (a gun from those regions) can be confirmed. And there are also stories that the remaining stores of the Karabiner-S were destroyed when Germany was unified, though no official documentation has been verified.

I'm always looking for a new best friends....you interested?

Only if you have a nicer North Korean SKS to trade! [smile]

And while I had the chance, I decided that I had better take a picture two East German SKS's at the same time. Now, that's an even rarer opportunity than one!

2_DDR_s_002.JPG

Just a note to add:

The pictures above and below represent 8% of all known and documented units. [shocked]

2_DDR_s_001.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom