The Effect of Proposed Gun Control Laws on Collecting

Feinstein today came out with a summary of a bill she will be pushing in the Senate soon. A quick glance details that there are weapons we collect that will be part of the ban.

She is proposing banning the sale and transfer of many semi-auto guns, including the SKS, the M1 Carbine, the BAR, the Tommy Gun and more. If this law passes the government will allow us to keep ours while we are alive if we meet some conditions. We will have to get finger printed and pay the $200 NFA tax for each weapon. And when we die, our kids will not get them, but I guess they will have to be turned in to be destroyed.

We would also have to turn in any magazine for them over 10 rounds as there is not grandfathering of them as there are for the guns themselves.

You can read the full summary here:

http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/assault-weapons

My question is this. Many of us have bought these weapons as a means of investment as well. This law, if passed, will make these guns worthless. The history that we so cherish will be lost as well. That is what I am thinking anyway.

I could also add some comments about the validity of the 2nd and its influence on the balance of power in the nation of ours, but that is not the purpose of this board.

I am interested to hear what my fellow collector's thoughts are on this as well.

Last edited:
Look at it this way the crazier the law proposed the more likely flyover Dems(IL excluded) will run away from it.

Dupe of a dupe of a dupe of a.......

This has been posted multiple times today.

I think you are wrong. If you read the OP carefully, you will see this thread is specific to milsurp collectibles such as the ones I mentioned. I think amongst collectors of milsurps, one would think that an M1 Carbine is not equal to an AR. I am asking my fellow collectors of milsurps if they are paying attention and understanding that the proposed ban will affect their collections, even if they do not have AR's or AK's in them. I am asking for their reactions to the newly proposed ban.

This is not a dupe.

I've not yet seen any actual list of the "120 specifically-named firearms" referenced in the above link.

As far as I can tell, it has not been made public. While it may contain the SKS and the M1 Carbine, I've yet to see any evidence of that.

Is there more ?

They will shoot for the moon (ban all semi-autos) and settle for an attainable goal (ban detachable mags of more than ten rounds).

I don't think the proposal will fly, but I can not say that I haven't envisioned liquidating a very large section of my collection.

I've not yet seen any actual list of the "120 specifically-named firearms" referenced in the above link.

As far as I can tell, it has not been made public. While it may contain the SKS and the M1 Carbine, I've yet to see any evidence of that.

Is there more ?

http://www.examiner.com/article/report-obama-gun-ban-list-leaked?CID=obinsite

Take this for what it is.. it is leaked so who knows. But the 1994 Ban would be amended to having just one feature and not two. So a semi-automatic that can take removable mags and having one of the banned features will make it an assault weapon. Or it can be on the leaked list. M1 Carbines are banned in NJ. I am sure they will be on list.

The SKS meets the definition. Notice the wording:
Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds.
SKS's can accept mags with more than 10 rounds.

Last edited:
Things like telling folks what they can and cannot inherit have a way of finding their way into the courts... I cannot see Feinstein's bill passing as it's written, but even if it does I can see many, many ways in which courts would have a say further down the line, most likely with a stay in the meantime. Thinking about all this in advance is a good idea, of course, but I for one am not about to start kissing my M1 mags goodbye. I'm just not sure I see it happening.

I suspect they will try for what ever then can get. A lot of this might just be a for bargaining away later on if they must. I would like to think that the House will hold firm and nothing will pass. But, what is clear is that this assault weapons ban is a weapons ban and they will not stop with what ever they can get now. Since it affects us as collectors I am trying to see what other collectors are feeling about it.

By what demented logic does she call/include the M1 carbine in an assault weapon ban? When was an M1 carbine EVER considered or used as an assault weapon! LOL First off its a 70 year old carbine ( not a rifle) that fires an overrsize pistol round. It was developed as a defensive weapon for troops who could not use or need a battle rifle! The M1 carbine is also being sold by the US Government through the CMP so I guess the US Government also pimping / pushing assault weapon to US citizens also! I can't think of a crime committed in the last 40 years where an M1 carbine was the weapon used. Just what is an assault weapon anyway? I looked at the draft bill and it contains weapons that have nothing to do with been an "assault" weapons. The pick list of what should be ban and why reads like something a demented child would create based on what "looks" bad.

She is the type of government offical that should be watched very carefully. She easily justifies taking away the rights of others based on her own beliefs and wishes to spread her gun control witch hunt through out the country. She is the type of politician why we need a 2nd ammendment!

Last edited:
Civil disobedience.
This

Let them go full retard... i think they are over playing their hand...
and this

Look at it this way the crazier the law proposed the more likely flyover Dems(IL excluded) will run away from it.
maybe, but I'm not hearing too many politicians speaking against this are you?

"Turning in" expensive firearms and/or accessories for free or almost free will be a really big problem. If it were ever to come to that, the stories/events on the 6 o'clock news will be very interesting to say the least. It will make Waco look like Disneyland...
MOLON LABE

On a more serious note, I keep hearing the term "military-style" weapons. Even recently in Obama's recent response to the petition. Well, I wrote him back - us being "buddies" & all.

My point is all firearms are to one extent or another military-style. They all have their roots in the military. In regards to a well regulated militia U.S. v. Miller (sawed off shotgun) "when called for service . . . were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time." Ipso Facto "Assault Weapons" can not be banned it is unconstitutional by definition!

Yeah - I don't care if the government has my e-mail address.

I've not yet seen any actual list of the "120 specifically-named firearms" referenced in the above link. As far as I can tell, it has not been made public. While it may contain the SKS and the M1 Carbine, I've yet to see any evidence of that. Is there more ?

NRA-ILA says they have a draft copy, and it includes "M1 Carbine ..., a model of the Ruger Mini-14, and most or all models of the SKS"

Simple. m1 is a weapon used in war, thus an assault Killy weapon.

Geesh ... ;)

Geesh ... ;)[/QUOTE]
Ah now I understand...
If it shoots its an assault weapon!
and if its and assault weapon we lose all our constitutional rights to have, own, sell, trade, pass down, our own personal property.
God I love Amerika!

dont think for a minute they are not looking at the cmp's gun and ammo sales....they can easily turn them into a firearms safety only program....and whats stopping them from getting the sales records?
I for one think it sucks if they try to do a non transferable NFA type of bill. Seriously I was banking on my small collection to at least be worth something.

I don't think anything will happen. First Harry Reid, despite being a liberal, is pro 2A. He's from a state where guns are owned by a lot of people. He also routinely gets A or B ratings from the NRA. Second, the House is controlled by the Republicans, and there isn't a lot of sentiment for more gun control there. Feinstein is grand standing for her constituency and donors.

I don't think anything will happen. First Harry Reid, despite being a liberal, is pro 2A. He's from a state where guns are owned by a lot of people. He also routinely gets A or B ratings from the NRA. Second, the House is controlled by the Republicans, and there isn't a lot of sentiment for more gun control there. Feinstein is grand standing for her constituency and donors.

Frankly, I dont see how something DOESN'T get passed. This was on the agenda before Conn, now its just a layup. Whats worse is with the constant media glorification of a nutbag its almost a guarantee than this happens again, soon. Im not sure "house" control really matters to those in power anymore.

As far as collecting, the only time I look at the value of my guns is when I want to upgrade and trade off. While its nice to know I could liquidate and have a good amount of $$$$$ I dont see that happening. I really want these guns to be there for my kids someday.

It's not a lay up, because more than half the country opposes gun control. The House is up for election every two years and voters have a long memory when it comes to gun related issues. In 1994, the House flipped mainly because of the Brady Act and the AWB. In 2000 Al Gore lost because of anger at the Democrats about gun control. Diane Feinstein doesn't care because she's not going to lose, no matter what. Other, more vulnerable Democrats from states where gun ownership is widespread do care.
Obama doesn't care, because he's never running for office again.

The liberal media can whine all they want, but the politicians have to cater to a local constituency, not the press.

Frankly, I dont see how something DOESN'T get passed. This was on the agenda before Conn, now its just a layup. Whats worse is with the constant media glorification of a nutbag its almost a guarantee than this happens again, soon. Im not sure "house" control really matters to those in power anymore.

As far as collecting, the only time I look at the value of my guns is when I want to upgrade and trade off. While its nice to know I could liquidate and have a good amount of $$$$$ I dont see that happening. I really want these guns to be there for my kids someday.

Hate to bring this up (don't want to give them any ideas) but instead of pushing for a ban in this area they "compromise" and allow you to keep your collection provided the weapon is registered and made permanently inoperable. You can keep your rifles and magazines and anything else you want, you just can't shot them.

I can see them going this route before an outright ban. A ban with no grandfather clause or buyout program just won't fly. A buyout would be to expensive and confiscation will get struck down in the courts (if it doesn't precipitate a civil war first).

How did england and australia ban firearms? Didnt everyone turn them in? Was there compensation? With all the free state second hand sales they need registration first. Big question is will Americans turn in their guns if told to? Easier to talk about then do.

I'm completely against any new gun law. I won't worry about what I already have until I see the actual list of 120 Specifically named Firearms they want banned and the actual list of the 900 Specifically named Exempted Firearms. Our old military and non military bolt actions should be exempted. It's the list of semi-autos that I'm waiting to see.

Back
Top Bottom