The C&R rifle/pistol you missed

SKS Ray

NES Member
I see lots of folks here getting into the C&R stuff lately and I think its great. Unfortunately for many of the newbies, they've missed out on some great guns and will now pay a much higher price for one or spend a long time hunting for something they really want. Then there are those of us who browsed through C&R dealer flyers and passed on some guns thinking they'd be there forever and now they're gone.
Brings to mind a question... What is the C&R gun you wished you had grabbed before they we're gone?
A few rules of this question... no wishing you'd have grabbed a Thompson back in the day when full auto stuff was everywhere, or wishing you had bought a crate of SVT40s back in the 60s when they we're as cheap as today's Mosins. [wink] Lets be realistic and live in the past 5 years at least.
As for myself, I remember seeing Romanian and Yugo M59 SKS rifles for cheap money everywhere just 3 years ago and now finding one at a good price and in good shape is hard!
Sure I've gotten some nice examples of both of those rifle, but not without searching, building from more than one gun, and just plain getting lucky. Than again thats part of the fun of collecting that keeps it fresh and exciting.
Oddly enough some guns like Yugo M59/66 rifles used to be over $300 when they were first imported, then they dropped to $149 for a mint one when they were plentiful, and now they're getting back up there in price since importation has slowed. The same can be said for Steyr M95 carbines. I doubt we'll ever see K98s go back to under $100 but ya never know.
Back to the question... whats the one C&R gun you wished you'd have grabbed but missed?

The K31s aren't gone yet!

As for me, I missed all the cheap enfields, the dirt cheap SKSs, and the carbines that used to be more readily available, and the swiss mausers that used to be really cheap. Couldn't help it, I was under 18 at the time, but my dad was busy snatching up preban EBRs (and that's turned out very well indeed) so I can't complain.

83 reads and only 2 posters have a mention of guns they can say they missed out on?!?
There must be a lot of NESr military surplus collectors that have a wider collection then me. Who wants to sell? [smile]

Finn M39 Mosins, Manhurin PP's, and CMP Garands.

Grrr......

Of course, I've bought them anyway, just for more than I could have.

Still avoiding the C&R 12 step program, too. I don't think I have to go until I max the credit card, right?

CZ50 I figured they would be a handy pocket pistol, but I never had the coin when they where cheap.

Yeah thats another one I figured would be around and cheap for a while but they dried up. I even missed a second chance when Makarov.com used to sell guns but they've stopped.

A registered Maxim MG08 with sled and accessories about 4 years ago. I decided to pay off my truck instead. Same fellow had a 1919 amnesty registered. 5K each or 9K for both. Stupid! Stupid!! Stupid!!!

My bone-headed move went as follows:

I was attending a MA Firearms Law update by Chief Ron Glidden at Newton PD some years ago. After it ended, Ron came up to me and asked me if I'd be interested in a bring-back P38 that an old gentleman had . . . and I STUPIDLY SAID NO!

After the seminar, the older gentleman/Vet went up to Ron and said that the BS wasn't worth it to keep his LTC or FID and he just wanted to get rid of that one gun and forget about MA gun laws.

It wasn't until the next day that I realized what a bone-head I'd been. But Ron didn't know who the guy was. I even asked the PD Dispatcher (who was a Newton PO that I'd known for years) but the guy just left the building and didn't speak to them about it either.

No doubt he turned it in for destruction later! [crying]

My bone-headed move went as follows:

I was attending a MA Firearms Law update by Chief Ron Glidden at Newton PD some years ago. After it ended, Ron came up to me and asked me if I'd be interested in a bring-back P38 that an old gentleman had . . . and I STUPIDLY SAID NO!

After the seminar, the older gentleman/Vet went up to Ron and said that the BS wasn't worth it to keep his LTC or FID and he just wanted to get rid of that one gun and forget about MA gun laws.

It wasn't until the next day that I realized what a bone-head I'd been. But Ron didn't know who the guy was. I even asked the PD Dispatcher (who was a Newton PO that I'd known for years) but the guy just left the building and didn't speak to them about it either.

No doubt he turned it in for destruction later! [crying]

NEVER turn down free guns!

The ones I regret are a Swiss M95, a Rasheed, and the REAL Sig 210s that were available for a short time before the new 210s came out.

Back
Top Bottom