The Big Licence

Hey to all of you who may be like me and have the BIG ugly oldschool FID or LTC in Mass, and you want to fold your wallet again, I just got done calling the Firearms Registry Bureau, and it's the local police departments call if they want to issue you a replacement Standard-Size permit.

So I'm heading into the station so my wallet can FINALLY fold, and I won't have to worry about that big permit falling out of my wallet.

-Weer'd Beard

Never thought to trim the edges off. That would probably work.

be nice to get the real-deal permit, and have it have my current address on it.

-Weer'd Beard

Bummer, it was a falce alarm.

Seems that local PDs can only re-issue permits that are "lost or stolen" without having to pay all the fees.

Maybe I'll think about trimming the edges of my card, see if that helps.

Sorry if I got some hopes up.

-Weer'd Beard

Weer'd beard said:
Bummer, it was a falce alarm.

Seems that local PDs can only re-issue permits that are "lost or stolen" without having to pay all the fees.

Maybe I'll think about trimming the edges of my card, see if that helps.

Sorry if I got some hopes up.

-Weer'd Beard

Well, tell them it's lost ! :D

I don't have a problem with the old one. I just fold it in half.

Caution folks...you need to know if your PD is using the new system or still on the old one. Old ones lost or stolen are not on the new system and it will cost you another $100. The new system ones can be replaced just like the drivers licenses and won't cost $100.

One of our students had his wallet stolen two weeks after getting his LTC. He had to pay another $100 to get another one.

Lynne, that is NOT how it is supposed to work according to Ron Glidden.

However the PDs can get away with damn near anything they want to do. There is no penalty to them for abusing people and charging them the $100.

I know someone that lost his LTC (old style) and got it replaced with the new one for $0.00 and that was only ~1 month ago. He spoke with both his PD and with CHSB regarding the procedure and was advised on how to do this and cost him nothing. This person is also a member on this forum.

LenS said:
I know someone that lost his LTC (old style) and got it replaced with the new one for $0.00 and that was only ~1 month ago. He spoke with both his PD and with CHSB regarding the procedure and was advised on how to do this and cost him nothing. This person is also a member on this forum.
Maybe we can get that prodedure and post it as a Sticky?

The State imposes no penalty to lost or stolen cards BUT I was told that the local PD is the issuing Body, so they can charge you WHATEVER you want.

So if Boston wants to raise the App fee for a FID to $10,000.99 they can they just have to send thier $70 (or whatever it is) to the state while they do the what-have-you.

At least that's my impresson form what I've been told.

-Weer'd Beard

LTCs were $10/5 years until 1998. Then they went up to $25/4 years. My Wife was charged $35 and the chief's excuse (when I told him it was illegal for him to do that . . . the law specified the fee) was "it cost him man-hours to do the process!" (which is true).

I made a stink with the chief's boss, our state rep & state senator. Eventually he was given marching orders to comply with the law and it was dropped back to $25. Did we get a rebate of $10, no way in hell! The town kept the money that they stole from taxpayers.

Now that it is up to $100/6 years (changed from $25 to $100 in 2003 IIRC and that was for 4 years, recent change due to GOAL's persistence took place last year to 6 years), there are two statutory exemptions for LE - If it is issued by the same department that employees the LEO it is free, if the LEO works for any other agency the fee is supposed to be $25. Well, I applied for the $25 rate and was denied . . . the chief doesn't consider Constables to be LE (even though per MGLs we have LE and arrest powers) . . . his response is that we are "not police" (but the law says "law enforcement" not "police"). Sheriffs Dept, Aux POs, Special POs, Campus POs, etc. are regularly denied the LE rate as not being "police" in the eyes of the chiefs. We can all just piss up a rope because just like common citizens with no LE connections, the individual licensing authorities can do damn near anything that they please and get away with it.

Back
Top Bottom