"The Beast of Horn Mountain" ~ Bowhunting Story... #1

Mornin' ALL,

In looking for an update to a story I'm doing on Argentina (surviving the SHTF years), I came across Northeast Shooters. I've been reading threads in several of the forums... then noticed the "hunting and fishing" one.

By way of introduction, I guess, I thought I'd share a few of my stories. Hope you enjoy.
CM Sackett

[FONT=&amp]...It was too damn hot to be in HERE! But, here I was. And the stifling blanket of what only God Himself could call 'air', mixed with the steaming wound-scent of my adversary was only one of the things that didn't exactly thrill me about the moment.

I was on my hands and knees, about 30 yards into a laurel thicket choked even further with honeysuckle and brambles. On any other occasion, I might have noticed that it was one of the best hog tunnels I'd ever seen. It was indeed good ground. But at the moment, all I noticed about the place, besides the absolute lack of clean breathing, was the screamin' of my dogs... the thunderous crash of brush... then, the sudden quiet... and the realization that there was no way in Hades I could back out. I was stuck!

The boar we'd chased in here wasn't the biggest I'd ever seen, maybe 250-275lbs. But he was the first hog that ever put a chill down my back. From the first time our eyes met, after the Catahoulas had bayed him in that draw, a primal warning bell went off in me that I hadn't felt in years... and never with a critter. Even now, when I think back over it, I find it hard to believe what I KNEW in that instant.

This animal not only wanted to kill every one of us, it's as if he had planned the whole affair, and had just been waiting for the moment and the players to come together.

Shouda Known!
The hunt had gone pretty much like they're suppose to. Came to an area I'd found the week before, ate up with sign. Put the trackin' dogs out on that first clean, crisp, deep track down along the creek. And then sat back listenin' with pleasure as they worked out the trail.

Didn't seem to take no time a'tall for my hounds to catch up with him. And for a time he led us on a grand chase (never ceases to amaze me how fast and far those buggers can cover ground on these mountains!). Couple of times it sounded like they had him bayed up good. But then he'd break out and take off higher up the mountain and deeper into the thickets. And to be honest, I was too caught up in the hunt to pay much attention to an odd 'empty' feeling that was growing somewhere down inside me.

After 4 hours of what men call 'time' and 6 miles of eternity (what else do you call ground that goes from Hell, to worse?), my hounds had put the lid on him three times. I'd a swore there was no way out for him. But each time he would simply melt into the shadows of an overhang or deadfall... and disappear. He knew every inch of ground and every trick in the book.

And for all his mass and menace, he never once marked a dog, even when my best catch woman I wouldn't want for a mother put the clamp on his snout. He simply shook her 110 lbs. of quiet fury off like so much water. And with the tender flesh hanging in pulsing bloody shards, looked straight at me. It was almost as if he was measuring each animal's stamina, temperament and mettle... including mine. Not for weaknesses, but for where and when and how.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]First Blood![/FONT][FONT=&amp]
It wasn't 10 minutes after the behemoth's last Houdini that we both drew our first real blood.

My dogs were working out his ghosting in the tangle (had been for a while), when for reasons I still don't quite care to investigate fully... I looked behind me, across a clearing of shale-stone where nothing grew. He was standing at the opening to this tunnel, in a separate thicket. And in all my days of coonin' these dark havens, I had never seen a more tightly woven choke of vines and thorns.

How he got across that naked expanse without being seen or heard, I'll never know. But there he stood. And at about the same time my eyes touched his frame ol' Boomer, my best rounder caught sight of him from the edge of where they were all working the scent. At his first bawl the whole crew was out and on him!

And he never moved, never twitched... just stood there and stared at me.

My dogs were mauling every inch and every hair. And he never even grunted.

My brain finally kicked in, and I found myself running across that shale and skidding to a halt, not 7 or 8 steps from the steam now rising from them all.

I don't remember raising the Black Swan. I have no recollection of drawing further than normal, and cutting the index finger on my bowhand with the scalpel'd edge of the Snuffer. I can't recall the release.

But in crystal clear frame-by-frame motion I can still see the arrow, rotating slightly... kissing, and then sliding past the shield... the shaft disappearing beyond the cresting that Eddie had put on for me the night before, right up to the fletch. And I can see his eyes, red with his own blood and fury, narrowing ever-so-slightly at the impact, yet never straying from the hole they were burning in mine.

He shifted his leg forward, and I broke his gaze to burn my own hole through that small hint of a shadow that appeared above his elbow.

As the second arrow disappeared into the wall of this heaving mountain of calculating Hatred on hoof, the shadow turned a glowing crimson, and the first sign of any effect from the entire contest escaped him... a gasp. Not a grunt or a growl, but a gasp¦ almost as if he were surprised by a sudden realization of his own mortality.

The dogs sensed the shift in events, and renewed their offensive like raw recruits with something to prove. For his part, the boar only turned and headed into the tunnel as though he had finally grown bored with the whole affair. As he turned, I saw that last arrow hanging from the nock. It had definitely done its job.

I had drawn my blood.

Now he was to draw his.

A game little black-mouth Cur named Thor decided he would single-handedly drag that ol' boy back into the 'conversation'. He shouldn't have.

I reckon he must have grabbed a part of the pig's backside that even tough boys can't toughen up. And that ol' boar backed out, spun around and did something I've never seen a hog do. He didn't hook and slice with those 9 inch rapiers, like you would expect. But like a territorial male hippo in one of those old African epics, he open his mouth in an unbelievable gape and caught that poor pup right behind the shoulders.

I say "pup". Now Thor was 73 lbs. of my neighbor's best hope. And I had been training him for the boy for a couple of months. He would have made a fine dog. But as the tusker closed the doors on that unfortunate animal, I knew he'd never get the chance.

The boar lifted his bloodied, sabred head with the dog still struggling to get his own licks in (gotta love that kind of heart!). And with one sickening motion, brought his massive jaws together. And then, like a cocker spaniel dropping a stick at your feet, he nonchalantly lowered his head and let Thor fall, limp, to the ground.

He turned and headed back down the tunnel. And after a stunned silence, Thor's companions tore after him... without fear, or a backward glance to see if I was coming.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Settin' The Stage![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
So now, here I was in this foul-smellin', all natural "tube oven", stuck tighter than your last stamp on the wrong envelope. Cut, sweaty, dying for a swig of something other than dirt... and for the first time I could remember, just a little off top-dead-center about how this was gonna turn out. I couldn't retreat. And I didn't exactly have all the room I would've liked for whatever dance I was fixin' to be invited to.

So, I kept going.

The silence was bothering me worse than anything. What was happening? What had happened to my dogs? And WHERE WAS HE?

My bow and quiver were back at the mouth of the tunnel, wouldn't do me anymore good in here, anyway. So I squirmed around and shucked my Randal, hoping that 7 inches of the man's best steel would be enough. I started thinking how my friends would have gotten quite a chuckle if they had seen me crawling through the eye of this Hell's needle with that blade gripped between my teeth! I looked like some pirate in an old Errol Flynn flick. But a boy's gotta do.

As I inched my way forward, I saw what looked to be another clearing. Good, a little space!

Then I heard the whimper.

The tunnel made a slight bend to the left just ahead, and as I reached that point, I found Boomer. He was cut pretty bad, but still intact. For a moment I don't know who was happier to see who... that was a good dog, still is.

After looking the boy over and figuring that he wasn't all that bad off, and definitely wouldn't get any better until this situation was secure, I crawled on into the growing light. What happened once I hit that clearing still brings a fog to my eyes and a tremble to my lips.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Finish Time![/FONT][FONT=&amp]
The boar was sitting on his haunches, about 11 or 12 steps into the clearing, just staring at the opening, waiting for me.

My dogs, my friends... were strewn about this amphitheater of combat, torn, cut, bleeding and spent. I couldn't tell if any of them were dead. And from the looks of them, I wasn't sure how many of them would live.

Right now, the thing to do was finish this.

I instinctively wiped my hands on my now tattered BDUs and shifted the knife from angry grip to angry grip. My dogs didn't seem to move. Neither did our enemy.

He just sat there, watching.

I knew that he had enough left in him to match my thunder with plenty of lightning. But I also knew he was running on hatred, there just wasn't any blood left in him. And I was running on my own fury, and loyalty to my dogs... there wasn't a single thing else left in me.

We were both down to our last card in this game.

As I made my way towards him the boar shifted his position to keep us face to face. We were both panting, steamy, filthy... and ready.

When I was no more than 3 steps from him, I feinted to my left. He merely cocked his now trembling head and blinked. So I quick-stepped that way. And as he turned his bulk to match me I pushed off that left foot and lunged for his now-exposed shoulder, knife edge up and the point focused on the crease in front of the bone.

I never made contact.

Two of my Catahoulas came from out of nowhere and knocked me flying. As I landed and rolled I saw them turn and launch themselves, full-body, into the boar!

Sadie, my catchdog was reclamped to the remainder of the monster's snout, and this time there wasn't any shaking her off! Jack and Russel were now each on an ear. And as one powerful beast, they dragged the now screaming bruiser back and down.

From behind, Boomer leaped over me and straight into the fight... which, thank God, didn't last too much longer.

The two arrows had finally finished their silent work. The time it took had nothing to do with them not finding the mark (it was later discovered that one lung and the top of the heart had been clipped by the first shaft, and the heart and both lungs had been laid through by the razor's edge of the second), but with the determination, intelligence and intent of the beast. I swear he had a plan, and was that focused on seeing it through.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The dogs are all healed up now, and rearin'-n-ready to go tonight. They're a little quieter on the trail, these days... and far more intense. I can honestly say that I've never seen such a "team" in all my born-days.

The Swan? She's still in my hands on every hunt. And why not? She sang a beautiful tune when I needed her most. Many another sweetstyk would've done just as fine a work... but this one'll do for me. She'll do.

And that hog? Well, you'll just have to wait for another day... to find out "The Rest Of The Story"!

As Always,

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]CM Sackett[/FONT][FONT=&quot] ©2011[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom