• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The all around rifle!!!(been awile how is everyone got a ?)

What Cal. of rifle should i buy!

• Total voters
Hey guys been a little while since i have posted last but i came up with a ??? and i could not think of a better place to ask! I am taking a trip at the end of the month coyote hunting and then next october im going to be going on a trip to colorado for elk. Considering the fact that i live in Indiana i have never rely had a reason to buy a hunting rifle! Until now lol! So i was kind of wondering if anybody had an idea of what would be a good caliber that i can get loads for or load my self that would be enough to nock down an elk but also go low enough not to blow apart a coyote hide. I was thinking .308, or 30-06 but not sure just looking for some ideas not in any real hurrie i have a .308 that im going to use for coyote at the end of the mounth it is my grandpaws so i rely cant do everying i would like to but it will work. There are to models that i rely like that i can get in both of the cals, the Winchester stealth 2 and the remington 700 sps. If anybody could help my out on this one it would be a very big help thanks

DallasK (if you put other please explain thanks again)

Dallas K

I voted 308. Plenty of power to take down even the largest Elk, yet not over powering.

As for the coyote pelt... No telling. You would want a FMJ bullet for that, but you can never tell what is going to happen to the bullet if is hits bone and is deflected.

Adam

For Elk, I suggest the 30-06 or a 300 Mag. I'm assuming longer range and moderate shooting ability. The 308, with the right loads WILL drop a 575 pound Moose in VT (Firend's step-son, with ammo I made). The load was 165 gr Sierra HPBT GameKing, with a load that duplicates M852 Match ammo otherwise.

But, you mentioned using it for other purposes, like Coyotes. Therefore, I voted 308. It'll take the Elk, if you do your part well, and is a moderately decent Varmint round. I'd use handloads with 150 or 168 gr Match bullets on the Coyotes, and shoot them further out for sport.

Nickle said:
We'll have to fix that. You really need a FAL or M14/M1A. Nice guns to have WTSHTF. Better dropping power than a 5.56.

I need to get me one too...
My hunting rifle is a .308, and I love the round!

Adam

Adam_MA said:
Nickle said:
We'll have to fix that. You really need a FAL or M14/M1A. Nice guns to have WTSHTF. Better dropping power than a 5.56.

I need to get me one too...
My hunting rifle is a .308, and I love the round!

Adam

Me three...

The only .308 I have is my Encore. And I don't want to shoot that all day long.

As you may or may not know, Dallas is my life-long best freind's son. We've spoke at length what his requirements are and .308 gets the vote. Now, whether he is actually able to get one is another story. [wink]

Re: The all around rifle!!!(been awile how is everyone got a

DallasK said:
Hey guys been a little while since i have posted last but i came up with a ??? and i could not think of a better place to ask! I am taking a trip at the end of the month coyote hunting and then next october im going to be going on a trip to colorado for elk. Considering the fact that i live in Indiana i have never rely had a reason to buy a hunting rifle! Until now lol! So i was kind of wondering if anybody had an idea of what would be a good caliber that i can get loads for or load my self that would be enough to nock down an elk but also go low enough not to blow apart a coyote hide....

If you go to www.coyotegods.com they will frown on anything larger than a .17 Remington for coyote. More reasonably, a .22 Hornet or even up to .223 would be OK, though .223 is a little tough on fur. I don't think you are going to find one rifle which is good for both unless you get something with changeable barrels.

Back
Top Bottom