• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Texas hog hunt

Different rifle, but that is pretty damn close to what I have been looking for for a while. I wonder if a LaRue LT104 mounted backwards would get a 1-6x scope in the spot.

Good find.

I'm now looking at long eye relief scopes for the savage I linked earlier. Anyone have any affordable suggestions?

I go every year and will be headed down in just over a month as well. I usually bring a 243 and a 308, they both are great for hogs. For fun last year I bought a new Cooper in 204 Ruger. I'm in no way advocating the 204 Ruger as a good hog gun but trust me when I tell you speed kills. I would like to try a 22-250 sometime as well, little more bullet weight with velocity approaching the 204 Ruger.

On my last hunt, I brought an Enfield in .303 British, but didn't see a hog, so I don't know how well it would work.

I am sure with a quality bullet it would be fine. I have killed plenty of deer with .303 British without any issues. Growing up in Canada there was no shortage of .303 being used to hunt deer, moose or bears.

Balistically, .303 British is equivalent to 30-06. In No 4. Mk 1 (which is what I use for this) it's a very pleasant shooting round. Of course the gun weighs in at about 9 lbs, even modified with a Parker Hale barrel and sporter stock. Still, a good gun for hunting.

Since the round could easily kill a 150 lb person, it should do quite well on deer or hogs. I think at one time the Australians used .303 rounds in "bang sticks" to kill Great White Sharks on the Barrier Reef.

I am sure with a quality bullet it would be fine. I have killed plenty of deer with .303 British without any issues. Growing up in Canada there was no shortage of .303 being used to hunt deer, moose or bears.

That's what my buddy said. If we get something we're definitely gonna cook some stuff up. He's bringing his smoker.
That sounds amazing!

I'm off on Monday and Tuesday to Maine for snow shoe hare! It's mine and my son's favorite hunting! We go every year.

There are no doubt guided hunts that will guarantee you success. That's not really hunting, it's shooting. Feral hogs are pretty smart. They generally lie up in muddy river banks during the day and come out at night to forage for food. They have good hearing sense of smell. They are very wary of humans.

The place we hunted had seven blinds spread out over several acres. Most of the blinds had lines of sight to feeders that had corn. Even at that, we struck out more than we found or shot anything.

any good places that will have a high success rate of seeing them pigs? i'd like to go over the weekends with my 2 brothers from europe

any good places that will have a high success rate of seeing them pigs? i'd like to go over the weekends with my 2 brothers from europe

My friend has gone with an outfitter, Pavur outdoors I think, and had good success with them.

So I got my Savage 11 Hog hunter, anyone got any recommendation for a scope mount?

Well, unfortunately the hogs must have taken tips from the New Hampshire deer to avoid me as we had an unsuccessful trip. Saw some tracks here and there but weather conditions weren't really helping. It was 70+ both days we hunted and super windy. We were hunting on my buddies friends families land which was really set up more for deer than hogs. We were set up right by a creek and baited them with this corn sugar mixture both nights and they never touched the stuff. My friend said he would have set us up and done things a bit differently but it wasn't his land and didn't want to overstep his bounds with his friend. Either way had alot of fun, got drunk and successfully made it in and out of Logan with a certain accessory that make shooting much quieter and more enjoyable. First time flying with firearms so I was a bit nervous but overall a pretty easy process.

Good thing is my friend is working to buy a share of some land that he will be able to set up some spots his way, as well as the other person he would be buying in with will set up some spots. Hopefully next trip will be a success. Couple pics from the trip...

20180302_151408.jpg 20180303_165842.jpg 20180302_160037.jpg

Back
Top Bottom