Texas hog hunt

NH_Realtor

NES Life Member
NES Member
I'm going to Texas in a couple weeks to hog hunt with a friend who lives down there. He said our max shooting might be 250 yards but most likely under 200. Unfortunately he doesn't have a helicopter we can shoot from... I use a Ruger American ranch rifle in .300blk suppressed up here to hunt but I'm unsure if that'll get it done down there.. Thoughts? Advice?

I'm going to Texas in a couple weeks to hog hunt with a friend who lives down there. He said our max shooting might be 250 yards but most likely under 200. Unfortunately he doesn't have a helicopter we can shoot from... I use a Ruger American ranch rifle in .300blk suppressed up here to hunt but I'm unsure if that'll get it done down there.. Thoughts? Advice?
What distance are you shooting hogs at with 300blk up here?

What distance are you shooting hogs at with 300blk up here?

0 yards so far. Also 0 yards for deer as I've successfully managed to avoid every possible deer every time I'm in the woods.

ETA - I've shot a pig before with the .300blk in PA but it was only a 40 yard shot.

Last edited:
200 yard shot, I think I would want a 308, but I don't really know what I am talking about.

What are your opinions of that 300blk Ranch rifle? I want to get a 300blk bolt gun to shoot with my can.

0 yards so far. Also 0 yards for deer as I've successfully managed to avoid every possible deer every time I'm in the woods.

ETA - I've shot a pig before with the .300blk in PA but it was only a 40 yard shot.

My thoughts are your going to want a little more horsepower on a wild hog than a subsonic 30 cal bullet at 200 plus yards. Wild hogs are tough. What else do you have in the safe?

Additionally.....there's this info past 100 yards as your bullet drop between 100 yards to 200 yards is almost 40 f***ing inches.

300 AAC Blackout is a fantastic hunting round. ... While having a chunky projectile is a nice improvement over the standard 5.56 cartridge, it does mean that you lose some muzzle velocity. And in turn, the trajectory past 100 yards for this gun has been described as “rainbow-like.”

Your 300 blk is a sub 100 yard gun. Get a better carteridge.

Last edited:
My thoughts are your going to want a little more horsepower on a wild hog than a subsonic 30 cal bullet at 200 plus yards. Wild hogs are tough. What else do you have in the safe?

Additionally.....there's this info past 100 yards as your bullet drop between 100 yards to 200 yards is almost 40 f***ing inches.

300 AAC Blackout is a fantastic hunting round. ... While having a chunky projectile is a nice improvement over the standard 5.56 cartridge, it does mean that you lose some muzzle velocity. And in turn, the trajectory past 100 yards for this gun has been described as “rainbow-like.”

Your 300 blk is a sub 100 yard gun. Get a better carteridge.

Not sure where you are pulling this info, but I am pretty sure it assumes he is using a subsonic load, which I doubt very much that he is.

The load in the chart I researched was 1000 fps. And the "rainbow trajectory" past 100 yards was quoted from the article.

The 1000fps stuff is for chuckles while showing off how quiet the gun is with a can on the end of it. If you are trying to kill something with it, super sonic loads are where it's at. This past fall I had those Barnes 110's loaded in my rifle while I was pretending to hunt deer.

There are some boutique bullet makers that are turning out some real fancy heavy bullets that are supposed to work very well at ~1000fps, but it's still not something I would hang my hat on.

Even when supersonic, that seems like a fair bit of drop for targets past 200 yards. From what I've gathered, the 300BLK is popular for hog hunting at night using subsonic rounds, suppressed, for shots inside 100 yards (feeders). Not a whole lot of energy going on with that round, either.

Last edited:
Even when supersonic, that seems like a fair bit of drop for targets past 200 yards. From what I've gathered, the 300BLK is popular for hog hunting at night using subsonic rounds, suppressed, for shots inside 100 yards (feeders). No a whole lot of energy going on with that round, either.
That was my point. Op says 200-250 yard shots is what's expected on the hunt......that's not 300blk territory from my knowledge of 300blk.

The 1000fps stuff is for chuckles while showing off how quiet the gun is with a can on the end of it. If you are trying to kill something with it, super sonic loads are where it's at. This past fall I had those Barnes 110's loaded in my rifle while I was pretending to hunt deer.

There are some boutique bullet makers that are turning out some real fancy heavy bullets that are supposed to work very well at ~1000fps, but it's still not something I would hang my hat on.
How about at 200 to 250 yards though? Not sure I'd be confident in the accuracy and impact energy at that range .

How about at 200 to 250 yards though? Not sure I'd be confident in the accuracy and impact energy at that range .

I already said for taking shots at 200 yards I would want a 308, I was just commenting on the differences between sub/super loadings from your first post. Supersonic 300blk where I would take a shot on a deer (75 yards MAX) is more then sufficient.

I wouldn't hunt with a subsonic 300 blk round, I think that would be unethical. I have an 2 Vets Arms ar10 in the safe but have had issues with it in the past. I went and tested it today and it needs some serious attention before I'd feel comfortable shooting with it. Multiple failures, especially when suppressed.

I saw a threaded Savage axis SR .308 at Shooters the other day for $340, will probably go with that. The dropoff past 100 yards is just too much.

200 yard shot, I think I would want a 308, but I don't really know what I am talking about.

What are your opinions of that 300blk Ranch rifle? I want to get a 300blk bolt gun to shoot with my can.

The rifle's good and insanely quiet with a subsonic round with my Omega on it. HOWEVER the magazines are the absolute worst... just effing terrible. The initial mag it came with failed to feed with more than 2 rounds in it. So a buddy of mine that works in the gun industry knows an engineer who works at Ruger and the engineer was nice enough to send me a bag of 10 mags. 10 OUT OF 10 MAGS won't feed with more than 3 rounds in it. Tried all mags with 4 different brands of ammo, sub and supersonic. So it's lightweight, super quiet with sub rounds but is basically a 3+1 rifle. Annoying.

If you do some googling you'll see that this was a big problem.

The rifle's good and insanely quiet with a subsonic round with my Omega on it. HOWEVER the magazines are the absolute worst... just effing terrible. The initial mag it came with failed to feed with more than 2 rounds in it. So a buddy of mine that works in the gun industry knows an engineer who works at Ruger and the engineer was nice enough to send me a bag of 10 mags. 10 OUT OF 10 MAGS won't feed with more than 3 rounds in it. Tried all mags with 4 different brands of ammo, sub and supersonic. So it's lightweight, super quiet with sub rounds but is basically a 3+1 rifle. Annoying.

If you do some googling you'll see that this was a big problem.

Holy shit. I was just looking at Rogers site and it looks like they are offering a new ranch in 300blk that actually takes AR mags.

When I went this past New Year's, I used a .30-06. 165 gr. Nosler Partition with 49 gr. IMR 4064. At about 150 yards, bullet penetrated well and maintained weight to do the necessary damage. You're going to need something that penetrates the scapula because the hog's vitals are hidden behind their big shoulder blades. We saw one hog that had a bullet hole in the middle of its back, just below the spine. Didn't phase it a bit.

I already said for taking shots at 200 yards I would want a 308, I was just commenting on the differences between sub/super loadings from your first post. Supersonic 300blk where I would take a shot on a deer (75 yards MAX) is more then sufficient.
Gotcha. I didn't look back in the thread and see you mentioned you'd go 308.

If that works it makes it an awesome rifle, especially suppressed. Suppressed sub loads are honestly like shooting an air rifle, just wish 300blk was a little cheaper. If you wanna try mine let me know.

Thank you, but knowing myself, and the up coming in port ahead of me, I am likely going to get drunk and order one. Hope it doesn't suck. [laugh]

When I went this past New Year's, I used a .30-06. 165 gr. Nosler Partition with 49 gr. IMR 4064. At about 150 yards, bullet penetrated well and maintained weight to do the necessary damage. You're going to need something that penetrates the scapula because the hog's vitals are hidden behind their big shoulder blades. We saw one hog that had a bullet hole in the middle of its back, just below the spine. Didn't phase it a bit.

Damn. I was thinking something like this...

GMX® - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

I used an AR in 5.56, but it took more than one shot. On my last hunt, I brought an Enfield in .303 British, but didn't see a hog, so I don't know how well it would work. My friend shot his hog with a .270 coming out of Remington of some flavor. Did the job with one shot.

I also found out that Deer have fingers. While sitting in the blind vainly waiting for a hog to make an appearance, a Doe and two fawns walked by. Easy shot, but no deer lease. The Doe looked right at me, raised a foreleg and gave me the finger. She knew.

Looks like it's 18 with the flash suppressor, 16.5" without??
Savage Arms Firearms 110 Scout
(expand out the "Available Chamberings" at the bottom and it's says 16.5")

Different rifle, but that is pretty damn close to what I have been looking for for a while. I wonder if a LaRue LT104 mounted backwards would get a 1-6x scope in the spot.

Good find.

Back
Top Bottom