Texas gun culture of having firearms 'inside suits, boots, bras' shocks reporter

Reptile

NES Member

Washington Post detailed how Texans 'take guns fishing, to church, the park, the pool, the gym, the movies — even to protests at the state Capitol'​

A new report from The Washington Post seemed to marvel at the sheer number of guns that Texans have.

In an article published Tuesday, reporter Molly Hennessy-Fiske provided an in-depth look at how much Texans value their firearms, opening it with the claim, "To live in Texas is to live surrounded by guns."

The piece, titled, "In Texas, guns are everywhere, whether concealed or in the open," provided a litany of settings in which guns are present for citizens.

Hennessy-Fiske wrote, "Each morning, men here strap guns inside suits, boots and swim trunks. Women slip them into bra and bellyband holsters that render them invisible. They stash firearms in purses, tool boxes, portable gun safes, back seats and glove compartments."

She continued: "Neighbors tuck guns into bedside tables, cars and trucks. They take guns fishing, to church, the park, the pool, the gym, the movies — even to protests at the state Capitol. The convention center hosts gun shows where shoppers peruse AR-15s and high-capacity magazines outlawed in other states."

The author also observed how "Texas billboards offer an endless stream of advertisements for ammunition, silencers and other accessories."

Noting that this lifestyle isn’t only due to the state’s Second Amendment-loving heritage, the author explained that Texas has loosened restrictions on firearms in recent years.

"Two years ago, state lawmakers gave those 21 and older the right to carry handguns without a permit; in 2015, they gave those with concealed handgun permits the right to carry on public college campuses," she wrote.

Hennessy-Fiske claimed that after two elementary school shootings in the U.S. – one in Sandy Hook, Connecticut, and the other in Uvalde, Texas – lawmakers allowed "public school staff with concealed handgun permits to arm themselves," and blocked a proposal to raise the age to buy rifles from 18 to 21, respectively.

The author then stated, "Texas has no state firearm sales registry, no required waiting period to buy a gun, no red flag law guarding against the mentally ill or violent having weapons, no restrictions on the size of ammunition magazines and no background checks for guns purchased in a private sale."

Continues...

I am amazed how much of the general public and those in the media both believe 1) That registration provides some measure of safety 2) that it exists outside of a few commie states.

Registration of anything only exists to exert some form of control...whether it's taxation, confiscation or future regulation. I don't know why the fallacy that it makes people safer exists. Or worse...that it helps solve crime after the fact....too much TV I think

Once a trigger is pulled and the bullet leaves the barrel.
How can any law prevent said action, if the person possessing said item is willing to use it to harm another?
The damage done was caused by the individual possessing said item.
It only became a weapon because they used it as such.
Laws are for people that follow them. Criminals don't follow laws...

Man, I'm in Texas right now, different world. Just walked into the state capital carrying, since I didn't go in the entrance for "permitless carry" they have you bypass the metal detectors then a friendly state trooper just checked that my LTC was valid (they couldn't pull up MA so I used my FL). All good. Not perfect down here, I know, but I could get used to it.

I read as far as "reporter Molly Hennessy-Fiske" and didn't need to go any further. Hyphenated name = progressive liberal (usually college "educated" white broad).

Last edited:
More info on Ms. hyphenated name, Molly Hennessy-Fiske has reported from Texas for the past decade. Before joining The Post, she spent 16 years at the Los Angeles Times.

From Cali and a "journalist" for WaPo..no surprise at all.

Man, I'm in Texas right now, different world. Just walked into the state capital carrying, since I didn't go in the entrance for "permitless carry" they have you bypass the metal detectors then a friendly state trooper just checked that my LTC was valid (they couldn't pull up MA so I used my FL). All good. Not perfect down here, I know, but I could get used to it.
I was in Austin and Houston for work this week. Didn’t see any guns, but was crazy hot and humid.

I mean, yeah? That's probably not abnormal in a whole bunch of states, Ms Hennessy-Fiske.

Welcome to America.

I went from probably being the only person carrying legally in Wal-Mart in MA to probably being one of many carrying in Wal-Mart in NC.

Something to think about.... hence why I do order pick up or go to Wal-Mart very very early on a Sunday in a non hood area.

What? Do you even BBQ bro?

View attachment 800551
Apparently not.
Sad Arrested Development GIF

Back
Top Bottom