Texas apartment tenant shoots through door as men posing as maintenance workers try breaking in.

If he killed both of them it would be considered a "Good Shoot" under my state's castle doctrine. He should have fired sooner when they were in front of the door. Around here, the first foot or shoulder to the door can be a self inflicted death sentence and there's plenty of people who will gladly carry it out.

Suspect ID'd ... updated

According to the Dallas Police Department, just after 6 p.m. on Aug. 19, officers responded to call for service at the Interlace Apartments where two male suspects had knocked on a victim's door claiming to be maintenance.

On Tuesday, Aug. 22, police said one of the men, Aaron Contreras, 30, was arrested in the case on charges of aggravated assault, deadly conduct and attempted burglary of a habitation. Police did not say whether a second suspect had been identified.

Ethan Rodriguez identified himself as the victim to WFAA.

Rodriguez told the supposed maintenance worker he wasn't home through his doorbell camera, and the "worker" left.

When he returned, another man was with him, and they attempted to kick down Rodriguez's door.

Rodriguez told WFAA he had no choice but to shoot at them once he saw the gun in one of the suspect's hands.

"I was hoping I got 'em," he told WFAA. "That was mainly it, just hoping I got 'em."

"[Police] told me I let off 13 shots," he continued. "I couldn’t believe it, but then again I did empty the clip!"

Rodriguez said he was home with his brother at the time. Dallas PD confirms one of the suspects returned fire at Rodriguez, but neither he nor his brother were hit.

In the video, you can see bullets fly into Rodriguez's neighbor's apartment. He told WFAA they were not home at the time of the shooting. Neither were Rodriguez's wife or their 7-month-old baby boy.

"Everything happened I guess you could say in God’s favor. I protected my family, and he was just being a dummy trying to come to my house and get whatever."

Rodriguez told WFAA his family will now break their lease and move

Huge fan of barring your doors when you're home. Also, the guy should have grabbed a bigger gun. President Biden recommends the double barreled shotgun, something like a DP-12. Wait for them to break the door [or tire themselves out] so you can see enough to place a more accurate aim and bang bang, slide, repeat, etc.

0f4f0c1b-7fc0-43cb-960f-934c18e44393.__CR0,0,1464,600_PT0_SX1464_V1___.png KZBc3n0.jpeg

I wonder what kind of ammo he was using?
I would think that hollow points going through the door would have been flattened out by the time they reached the criminal.

I wonder what kind of ammo he was using?
I would think that hollow points going through the door would have been flattened out by the time they reached the criminal.
Still going to ruin your day when you're only wearing a T shirt. [laugh]
Huge fan of barring your doors when you're home. Also, the guy should have grabbed a bigger gun. President Biden recommends the double barreled shotgun, something like a DP-12. Wait for them to break the door [or tire themselves out] so you can see enough to place a more accurate aim and bang bang, slide, repeat, etc.

View attachment 787936
A front door with glass in it or "lights" close enough on the sides to break and reach the knob/deadbolt/security bar kind of defeats the purpose of a secure door.
Also, if that leg isn't fixed to the floor with some type of drop in pocket that locks it in place from moving, it can be knocked out of place, and the rest of the door and frame have to be fortified too. Four to six inch screws in the hinges, screwed into a substantial 2xX framing with a steel plate sandwiched between the door frame to act as a hidden striker plate that absorbs/spreads impact.
Fortifying a door has to be done as a system, not piecemeal as it will fail at it's weakest point.

Most people's front or back doors won't withstand two well placed kicks by anyone of substantial body weight wearing boots.

He shot through his own door? So he wrecked the door and couldn't see his target. What a great idea.
LOL I had a similar situation my first night in the very first apartment I rented. I handled it differently and was OK with the outcome.

Around midnight someone was trying kick open the door to my apartment. I could see three white thugs through the peep. Grabbed my 6" 686 loaded with full boat hollow points and once I saw that the threshold was beginning to split I unlatched the door and stepped back. Next kick the door flew open and to their surprise they were staring down the barrel of a .357 held by me in my boxers informing them 'wrong f-ing apartment'. Briefs or naked woulda been way more cool [laugh] . They hauled ass and I went back to bed with no holes in the door nor any po-po hassles.

Worth noting that in many jurisdictions castle doctrine only protects you once the perps actually cross the threshold. This was the case for me at the time.

Back
Top Bottom