Tewksbury Rod & Gun or Lowell Sportsmen's Club

Sorry - not a member of either of those, but if you are looking for a club in that area you might want to check out Westford Sportsmans:

http://www.westford.com/sportsmen/Index.shtml

Thanks for the recommendation...

Looks like some great facilities, I am looking for both a club with an indoor (pistol) and an outdoor range.

I was hoping to join a club that is very close to my house so I can get out to shoot more and I work in Tewksbury and live 5 minutes away...

+1 on Westford. I didn't look too much into those two because Westford is closer for me and has everything I want. Indoor pistol, outdoor pistol and rifle, trap, sporting clays, fishing, hunting, and no stupid rules to go with it.

If you are in Tewksbury - Westford might be a bit of a drive for you. I am in Chelmsford - and it takes me about 18-20 minutes to get there. Lowell Sportsman's was on my short list when I was looking for a club - I never did check them out. It looked like they might somewhat restrictive on some of their rules.

Woburn Sportsman's might be another one to check out - they are actually on the Billerica/Bedford border on Middlesex Turnpike
http://www.woburnsportsmen.com/

There are actually a decent number of clubs in the area - check them out though - facilities and rules differ.

Here is a good listing:
http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/findlocal.asp?State=MA

Based on some conversations with members, Littleton seems to be in severe trouble due to encroaching businesses and residences on all sides, severely limiting what and when they can shoot. Hope the situation improves for them.

Ken

I live in Westford, and not far from the Littleton club. A very vocal member of the Auotobaun, [wrong spelling!] lives across the street, and has been very active in restricting/closing the use of the club.
I am a life member of Tewksbury and can tell you that range usage is now highly restricted do to developments in the area. They are very active in indoor bullseye & competitive trap, have a bar, and lots of meal/dance functions.
Westford would be fine if you like trap/sporting clay's, & short range rifle/pistol.
A club that offers everything but formal trap would be the Harvard Sportsmans Club. They have outdoor ranges from 7 to 300 yds. Indoor 50, IPSC, Cowboy [SASS] Archery, and even class 111,[machine gun] with no RO requirement to shoot, dawn to dusk, and 24/7, indoor. Harvard does not allow drinking on the premesis.
Your choice!

Harvard is very tempting with its Vast facilities...

Thanks for all the recommendations...

I guess I am thinking As far as distance is concerned:
1. Tewksbury (10 minutes away)
2. Westford (20 minutes)
3. M.R.A in Woburn (25 min)
4. Harvard (30 min)

As far as facilities goes it is reverse!!
1. Harvard (Indoor Range 24/7) (300 yard Rifle)
2. M.R.A in Woburn (Indoor Range 24/7) (200 yard Rifle)
3. Westford (Indoor Range 24/7) (100 yard Rifle)
4. Tewksbury (Closes around 10pm/12pm) (100 yard Rifle)

BIG GUN, you seem to be the only Tewksbury member on the forum, do you go often?

If you are in Tewksbury - Westford might be a bit of a drive for you. I am in Chelmsford - and it takes me about 18-20 minutes to get there. Lowell Sportsman's was on my short list when I was looking for a club - I never did check them out. It looked like they might somewhat restrictive on some of their rules.

Woburn Sportsman's might be another one to check out - they are actually on the Billerica/Bedford border on Middlesex Turnpike
http://www.woburnsportsmen.com/

There are actually a decent number of clubs in the area - check them out though - facilities and rules differ.

Here is a good listing:
http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/findlocal.asp?State=MA

Calsdad,
Are you a member at Woburn Sportsmen?

No - sorry. I used to drive by there just about every day - but I have never actually been to the club.

It is ok, I realized after searching a little, that maybe it does not have the best of reviews... [wink]

I live very close to Chelmsford so after much thinking I might just Join the MRA in woburn.

I wish some more NESers had some info on the Tewksbury Rod & Gun, it is very close to me...

Hey Bob,

What is the indoor range length and hours?

The indoor range is 50ft with 10 shooting stalls. It is open 24/7 but is shared with the indoor archers at times and may be unavailable. The outdoor range is 50 yds with target stands at 25 & 50 yds.

I am not a member at Tewksbury but have shot on their indoor range many times. It is also 50 ft with 6 or 7 stalls. The ventilation system in the range is not very good though. I am also in Chelmsford. If you want to talk so I can answer question let me know & I will PM my phone number.

Bob

Also a member of Woburn Sportsmen Assoc.

I really like it there. good people, never crowded.

I try to go a few times a week and hardly ever see anyone else in the indoor range. Thye have a great archery range with two walking target trails for archery as well.

www.woburnsportsmen.com

For what it's worth, I was in the same boat a while ago (I also live near the Tewksbury club) and I've ended up joining Woburn, with MRA being a very close second that I may eventually join as well. Reading seems a bit stuffy but also has nice facilities. For all of the Boston area's anti-gun reputation there sure are a lot of nice places to go shooting. (There are some great gun shops, too, but they sure are hard to find; half of them don't even have signs!)

Thanks for the recommendation...

Looks like some great facilities, I am looking for both a club with an indoor (pistol) and an outdoor range.

I was hoping to join a club that is very close to my house so I can get out to shoot more and I work in Tewksbury and live 5 minutes away...

Check out the Andover Sportmen's Club (http://www.andoversportsmensclub.org/) -- it has what you want: indoor and outdoor range, proximity, archery, trap range, and good people. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom