• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Teen charged after bullet fired at road sign fatally struck retired Marine sitting on porch

commodon

NES Member
teen.jpg

Eason Reid Gravley, 17, turned himself in Saturday for the fatal shooting of retired veteran Joe Darius Black Jr. in South Carolina. (Greenwood County Detention Center)

A teen turned himself in Saturday after allegedly shooting a bullet through a road sign, which went into a wooded area, before fatally striking a retired U.S. Marine who was sitting on the porch of his South Carolina home earlier this month, authorities said.

Eason Reid Gravley, 17, has been charged with involuntary manslaughter in the death of Joe Darius Black Jr., 48, a retired veteran of 20 years, Greenwood County deputies told Fox Carolina.

Black suffered a gunshot wound to his upper torso and died at the scene on October 10, the report said.

The veteran's wife and children were inside the home at the time of the incident, according to deputies. Black's family had admitted CPR before the arrival of EMS personnel, who continued to treat the victim, deputies said.

Gravley is charged with involuntary manslaughter and possession of a handgun in connection with Black's fatal shooting, South Carolina's WYFF-TV reported.

The suspect has been released on $25,000 bond from the Greenwood County Detention Center, Fox Carolina reported.

Gravley was placed under a curfew, and a judge ordered all firearms to be removed from his home, according to WYFF-TV.

It was not immediately clear why the teen was shooting at the road sign.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/teen-charged-after-bullet-fired-at-road-sign-fatally-struck-retired-marine-sitting-on-porch-officials-say

damn near every road sign has bullet holes in them all over the deep south and western part of the country. I dunno. I've seen holes in traffic signs in downtown Denver for chrissake. hope they were just old signs repurposed from out in the county.

anyway, a freakin' stupid, needless and senseless way for mr. black to die.

Tragic all around. The kid's an idiot and vandal, but this is also supreme bad luck. What are the chances, after passing through a sign and woods that the bullet would still have lethal energy and hit a person in the vitals.

From the article:
Because, dumbass, he's a 17 year old dumbass.

So the bullet actually went through the sign, not just ricochet off of it? Idiots shooting at signs usually leave dents in it. I don't recall ever seeing a hole. Was he using a rifle?

So the bullet actually went through the sign, not just ricochet off of it? Idiots shooting at signs usually leave dents in it. I don't recall ever seeing a hole. Was he using a rifle?

Depends on the sign. Most these days are relatively thin gauge aluminum, and wouldn't put up much resistance to a bullet.

The Lefts denial of the need for Gun Safety training in schools makes as much sense as the Rights resistance to Sex Ed in schools. Unless you teach kids the safe way to do risky things, they are going to get into trouble.
Politics above all else. Sex ed furthers their agenda, gun ed works against their agenda.

Dents would be from .22LR or shotgun pellets at a distance, I guess. The signs are aluminum and the thickness increases with the size of the sign.

Never understood the shooting at road signs thing.

A comment on the article:

Everyone in South Kackalacky shoots at road signs! If you can hit a road sign, then you can hit a deer in the "bread basket" or "boiler pan" as some would say. Also, a bullet riddled sign is a great souvenier fer the man cave!!! JUST MAKE SURE no one is sitting on the front stoop behind it!!!

Last edited:
Nearly all centerfire handgun rounds will easily penetrate a traffic sign. Some of the sloppier young rednecks I met in my job in VA would eagerly participate in shooting signs, typically after consuming large amounts of beer on a weekend night.

A suppressed Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Tactical with CCI Suppressor 22lr ammo will penetrate a 14g steel squirrel guard on a bird feeder at 30ft - my wife caught me red handed...

Would a gang banger have turned himself in ?

What does that have to do with anything at all?

Kid probably grew up around guns, had shot them many times and his parents had taught him to “respect” them like any good gun loving family.
They also gave him easy access to them and he killed someone.
Don’t deflect and don’t push your agenda with a hypothetical.

What does that have to do with anything at all?

Kid probably grew up around guns, had shot them many times and his parents had taught him to “respect” them like any good gun loving family.
They also gave him easy access to them and he killed someone.
Don’t deflect and don’t push your agenda with a hypothetical.
Tinky, this kid turned himself in, your kind wouldnt.

Back
Top Bottom