Technician Class begins tonight at Whitman Police Department

Tonight at the Whitman Police Department begins Ross Hochstrasser's Technician Amateur Radio License class. This is a multi week class that is free of charge to help people learn material required to pass the entry level Technician license issued by the FCC to begin your hobby in amateur radio.

If you've ever been interested in ham radio and didn't know where to start, swing by the Whitman Police Station at 7:00pm tonight.

Ross, W1EKG has had great success in helping many people pass their exams and he can help you as well while making it fun and entertaining.
24314f53a02c4341becbe79ea1dfa1d2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice, can you give any more details? Is it one night a week? How many weeks? Are there anything needed to sign up?

...thanks for the info...but perhaps some more advanced notice would be helpful in the future. I have a bunch of people I know wanting to study for their Tech.

Do you know if he will be offering it again and when?

I know virtually nothing about ham radio(aside from folks saying it's an interesting hobby), would this have been a "I wouldn't mind dipping my toes in" class or more advanced?

The class starts with an assumed understanding of being completely new to amateur radio.

The test to pass for the Technician license is a 35 question multiple choice test, so not too crazy.

I know virtually nothing about ham radio(aside from folks saying it's an interesting hobby), would this have been a "I wouldn't mind dipping my toes in" class or more advanced?
The Technician license is the first (lowest) license, so it's toe dippin. It's very common for 14 year old kids to get their license, so it's not rocket surgery.

The class starts with an assumed understanding of being completely new to amateur radio.

The test to pass for the Technician license is a 35 question multiple choice test, so not too crazy.

35 questions randomly drawn from a pool of 426 questions.

Youngest ham radio operator, Mattie passed her Tech. at age 4:

6anos.jpg

In the Gloucester club's 1 day cram course most kids over 13 pass. At the age of 11 my son passed then 2 weeks later got his General ticket
cool_zpsb18cf5f4.gif

He's now 17 with a girl friend and of course has no interest in ham radio at all.

Does anyone know if these folks do a General too? I see reference to it on their club's website, but didn't see any specifics on the calendar. I may have missed it somehow.

Does anyone know if these folks do a General too? I see reference to it on their club's website, but didn't see any specifics on the calendar. I may have missed it somehow.

No clue, but the Nashua club does both General and Extra class upgrade sessions. I think those are 3 full day events starting on a Friday and ending on Sunday with a VE session.

do you have to take a class or can you just get a study guide and study on your own? Or is it that you take the class and then they issue the exam as well?

do you have to take a class or can you just get a study guide and study on your own? Or is it that you take the class and then they issue the exam as well?

No formal class required. You can just study on your own and when you are ready, just find a test location and pay your $15 and take the test.

True for all 3 levels of license.

Glad to help. Warning: this hobby is like the gun hobby. It is VERY easy to spend tons of cash! [grin]

yeah...I already saw a radio for like 13k....too much? lmao

$12,989.95 yikes....

[h=2]HF/50MHz Transceiver - The Pinnacle of HF Perfection[/h]
71-001916A.jpg

Yes, Ross does General classes. I imagine he'll be scheduling one once the technician class runs it course.

- - - Updated - - -

Trijicog, do you belong to the Whitman club?

Yep :)

Back
Top Bottom