• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tavor scope mount height?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking into buying my first rifle scope and mount. I have an IWI Tavor, so I've read on a few other boards that I may want to also get a riser. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I'm thinking right now about the Vortex PST 1-4x for the scope. As far as the mount, is there really a big difference between the Burris PEPR and the vortex mount, besides the money?

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/cantilever-ring-mount-for-30mm-riflescope-tube-2-inch-offset
http://www.burrisoptics.com/arpepr.html

As far as risers, I've read 1/2" should do it, I have no idea though and I'm pretty sure I don't want to buy more than one.

Thanks!

I saw those... But $200 for a mount vs. $80 for a mount and $15 for a riser is hard to swallow. Are they really better? What makes them better? I do not know what makes a scope mount better than another. Obviously if they're machined better and actually hold the scope in place that's good, but shouldn't that be the bare minimum anyway?

Get a versatile mount, what if you decide to put a 50mm objective glass??? Get a mount that could be switched between firearms in seconds and could be placed back without losing its zero. ADM mount is excellent because you can keep the same mount and change the rings if you decide to get a different optic down the road or if you have more than one optic like me. ADM QD allows you to go from bolt action to AR or any variant of firearms that use the PCT rail in seconds.

The mounts you linked to already have enough rise for use on a Tavor they will work fine WITHOUT risers.

The amount of rise necessary for use with a Tavor is the same as an AR15.

An AR requires a mount with a forward offset, like both of those you linked to. Thats because the rail on the top only goes so far forward and you need the forward cantilever to allow you to mount the scope forward like this. Notice how the front of the scope is out over the barrel:

This mount is a Leupold mount.

With a tavor, because of its continuous rail, you don't need a cantilever mount. You can put the scope as far forward as is required for its eye relief.

The mount that Beaker linked to is TALLLL. It would be what you would use if you mounted a scope with a 50mm objective to the Tavor. I assume you wouldn't be doing that.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Getting a mount that will fit a 50mm objective on a Tavor will put the scope up so high, you won't be able to get a decent cheek weld on the gun. Thats the problem with high mounts on rifles like this. They can't exactly be restocked with a Monte Carlo stock to accommodate the high mount.

Have you owned a Tavor?
I did.

There is a BIG issue with optic mounting solutions on the Tavor.
The rail on the Tavor is on the same plane as the comb of the stock.

Using standard height AR15 scope mounts place the optic too low for any sort of a useable cheekweld or repeatable sight picture. In fact, using standar height AR scope mounts would not be advisable at all.

Only when using the higher "lower 1/3 cowitness" scope mounts will you have a cheekweld and sight picture that is adequate.

Quite a few Tavor owners place their AR scope mounts on 1/4" risers in order to attain the sight picture and cheekweld necessary for accurate and comfortable shooting.

Hence, a tall mount on the Tavor will not negatively affect wolfenkraft, in fact it will be of benefit to him.

I've had at least one Tavor in possession since the spring, and you know what.

YOU ARE RIGHT. I am wrong.

Now that I'm thinking about it, the scope I used on it is on an Arms mount that I used to use on ARs, but always considered it to be too high to get a decent cheek weld. On an AR, it gave more of a chin weld. On the Tavor it works fine, so I never thought much about it.

I'm going go back and change my posts. Thanks.

I changed the bolt over to LH and played around with it, but haven't shot it much because of the trigger. The trigger is still 11# based on my Lyman gauge even with the return spring removal.

Last edited:
Have you owned a Tavor?
I did.

There is a BIG issue with optic mounting solutions on the Tavor.
The rail on the Tavor is on the same plane as the comb of the stock.

Using standard height AR15 scope mounts place the optic too low for any sort of a useable cheekweld or repeatable sight picture. In fact, using standar height AR scope mounts would not be advisable at all.

Only when using the higher "lower 1/3 cowitness" scope mounts will you have a cheekweld and sight picture that is adequate.

Quite a few Tavor owners place their AR scope mounts on 1/4" risers in order to attain the sight picture and cheekweld necessary for accurate and comfortable shooting.

Hence, a tall mount on the Tavor will not negatively affect wolfenkraft, in fact it will be of benefit to him.

That's great info. So, what height do you recommend? If I go for an AD mount, which one would be appropriate?

Thanks!

So Steyer. Now the question is if anyone makes a quality tall mount that is reasonable money.

A question for the OP is if you can live without a quick release mount.

Giving up a QR mount can save you money for similar quality.

Has anyone looked at LaRue?

Sent from Samsung Note 2

Here are some other thoughts. If you have a tavor, you don't need a cantilever mount. And if you don't need QD or cantilever then you should be able to just get a set of quality tall mounts from any quality scope company.

Leupold makes some extra tall mounts for their 56mm objective scopes. I'm not sure they will do it. But its a thought.

Here are some other thoughts. If you have a tavor, you don't need a cantilever mount. And if you don't need QD or cantilever then you should be able to just get a set of quality tall mounts from any quality scope company.

Leupold makes some extra tall mounts for their 56mm objective scopes. I'm not sure they will do it. But its a thought.

Time to resurrect! I have some new info - a guy on reddit said he used the PEPR mount from Burris and it worked great for him. Any info from anyone on NES? Maybe someone local can let me check out their setup?

I ordered Leapers Deluxe See-Thru Riser Mount with Picatinny and STANAG Dimension MNT-RS10L from OpticsPlanet for my Tavor ($15) . . . my intent is to get another EOTech to put on it in January.

In the meantime, I bought a UTG see-thru high mounts with a Millett red dot scope and Butler Creek at the BR&P small gun show for either $40 or $60 (don't recall which price as I bought this and another setup for a total of $100) and put it on the Tavor . . . it lines up with the iron sights as co-witness perfectly. It was owned by a very serious rifle shooter who had it mounted on one of his ARs to co-witness the iron sights.

I ordered Leapers Deluxe See-Thru Riser Mount with Picatinny and STANAG Dimension MNT-RS10L from OpticsPlanet for my Tavor ($15) . . . my intent is to get another EOTech to put on it in January.

In the meantime, I bought a UTG see-thru high mounts with a Millett red dot scope and Butler Creek at the BR&P small gun show for either $40 or $60 (don't recall which price as I bought this and another setup for a total of $100) and put it on the Tavor . . . it lines up with the iron sights as co-witness perfectly. It was owned by a very serious rifle shooter who had it mounted on one of his ARs to co-witness the iron sights.

Thanks for the info. So, a riser may be the right way to go.

One mount possibly to try is the aeroprecision lightweight mount.

I bought one for my AR but found it to be just a bit too tall. So it might be perfect for a Tavor.

Don
Old thread, same question.
I am setting up my x95 now. I see its stock iron sights are 1.5” above the rail.
The Aero Precision ultralight 30mm mount is presumably also has scope’s optical axis 1.5” above the rail. I am not a fan of setting scope mount on any kind of a rail riser, would rather replace a whole stock rail with a taller one - but, it is really considered necessary?
I have the 1-6x scope now but still wait for the mount to arrive, so it is all theoretical at this point.

I purchased my Tavor SAR used, but it came with the Manticore Arms Overwatch rail, which is the same height as a standard AR and I'm very happy with it.
I was thinking about that exact rail.
I am gonna set aero precision mount with vortex viper psp and vortex venom red dot on a pinty 45deg offset rail mount. Hope it will work as expected.

Last edited:
I was thinking about that exact rail.
I am gonna set aero precision mount with vortex viper psp and vortex venom red dot on a pinty 45deg offset rail mount. Hope it will work as expected.
Any update how the Aero Precision ultralight 30mm mount worked out for you ?

I saw those... But $200 for a mount vs. $80 for a mount and $15 for a riser is hard to swallow. Are they really better? What makes them better? I do not know what makes a scope mount better than another. Obviously if they're machined better and actually hold the scope in place that's good, but shouldn't that be the bare minimum anyway?
what made you think that tavor was built better than any other for its price tag ?

As far as scope height , you need to go with the scope hieght that works with "most" of your shooting.

Are you tuck and crouch rifle holder or more head up right?

Are you getting your cheek and head heavy down onto the comb or are you more of a "chin weld" type ?

Good mounts go a long way. Some mounts are not expensive and good. Others are made by much smaller companies so price point reflects that....ARERG just noticed how old this thread is!

Bravo Paul73 for quick update/response
carry on its all fun

I used to own a SAR-1. Tried out my aimpoint pro with the included mount from my AR (which had a center iron cowitness with the dot) and threw it on the Tavor. Way too low. A lower 1/3rd cowitness height sight mount on a traditional AR would give you roughly a center line cowitness on a Tavor rail. Better to shim a small riser even higher if you have fat cheeks tho.

Back
Top Bottom