• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scope recommendations for AR10

CStirling8011

NES Member
Title says it all. Newly built Aero AR10 chambered in .308. Budget is up to $1,000. Would like to do some good distance shooting. Plus if it is FDE to match the gun but not a deal breaker. Thanks!

How far is "good distance shooting"?

Start with looking at Low Power Variable Optics. These are typically 1-4, 1-6, 1-8, and 1-10 variable scopes. They're light and don't look like you mounted a Hubble Telescope on your rifle. With good glass, you can make hits out to 400 to 600 with a LPVO.

If you want more magnification, how precise do you need to be?

How far is "good distance shooting"?

Start with looking at Low Power Variable Optics. These are typically 1-4, 1-6, 1-8, and 1-10 variable scopes. They're light and don't look like you mounted a Hubble Telescope on your rifle. With good glass, you can make hits out to 400 to 600 with a LPVO.

If you want more magnification, how precise do you need to be?
I’m at the point where my eyes are starting to deteriorate a little bit and I need glasses for some things. 500+ is the goal. I’m just not sure where to begin with brands. I know the heavy hitter brand names but I always like to hear actual thoughts on the products from shooters who have actually used them.

I’m at the point where my eyes are starting to deteriorate a little bit and I need glasses for some things. 500+ is the goal. I’m just not sure where to begin with brands. I know the heavy hitter brand names but I always like to hear actual thoughts on the products from shooters who have actually used them.

If you're trying to shoot 500 plus yards and want good glass, you're going to be spending a lot. How much are you willing to spend?

If you have eye issues, it's probably best to look through a few scopes at a range as close to that distance as you can. I have a pst2 5-25 that does the job, but it may not be ideal for you.

Have one on our CX4 Storm it is superb but am uncertain if will meet your 500 yd requirement.

Title says it all. Newly built Aero AR10 chambered in .308. Budget is up to $1,000. Would like to do some good distance shooting. Plus if it is FDE to match the gun but not a deal breaker. Thanks!
Primary arms 3-15x. Vortex pst2 3-15x. Vortex razor 3-15x.
Etc.
3x on low end is better than 5x for shorter distances.

You might want to check out my post comparing the Athlon Optics Helos BTR GEN2 Rifle Scope 34mm Tube 1-10x28mm Illuminated ATMR4 MOA, the Swampfox Arrowhead LPVO 1-10x24 with the Guerrilla Dot MIL Long red illuminated reticle, the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 with the AR-BDC2 reticle and the Trijicon 1-8x28 AccuPower (replaced by the Credo).

Scope Compare

The short version is I would look at the Swampfox Arrowhead for around $480. For me the 1-10x LPVOs team well with LR308 builds.

Vortex is a well known and trusted brand.

If you want a few more zoomies and a larger objective lens.

Keep in mind weight if you’re going to be doing anything other than bench/prone type shooting.

For a little less money but still a perfectly good scope. People like to shit on PA but in my experience and from what I hear, they’re punching above their weight class. They also give you discounted mount options when buying a scope. $700+tax and a nice mount at $10-$20 off puts you darn close to $1000.
YouTube helps, but watch out for paid shills.

Back
Top Bottom