Taurus Tracker ... Opinions?

Well, I'm just about decided on a 4" Taurus Tracker in .357 for my next firearm. I've done a search for threads on the subject but couldn't find anything of substance.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these? I can get one for about $429 NIB from a local dealer.

For comparison, my other options were a Ruger SP101 or GP100.

My inflexible advice to prospective revolver purchasers is to go S&W. For the long haul, there are no alternatives.

Also, be aware of the limitations of a 4" .357. Putting aside frame size issues, full house loads in a .357 are very difficult to control. Quick second shots are impossible unless you descend to "spray and pray," and the recoil quickly infects training with bad habits.

For street carry purposes, my 4" and my 3" .357s (both S&W K-frames) are loaded with factory Remington 95 gr. .38 Special +P.

K-Frame S&Ws should not be fed a regular diet of full house .357 loads. The "Combat Magum" (later the Model 19) was specially designed for the United States Border Patrol, at a time when the training regime employed .38 mid-range ammo and full house .357s would be used only in a gun fight.

For a "walk in the woods" gun, where I want .357 ballistics, probably in a heavy Keith-shape cast slug, I would only carry an N-Frame.

S&W makes the best revolvers. With that said, if you like the Taurus buy it. Life to short to deny your self anything.

Hint. Taurus makes a real nice cheap 41 mag. If you reload, that's the way I would go.

Back
Top Bottom