Taurus G3C 9mm semi will constantly dry fire.

Been away from guns long time. Always revolvers. Taurus continuously dry fires/recocks, without racking slide. Thouht it was odd. Gunshop owner did too.
Taurus emails beat around the bush. Said they dont recommend dry firing....unless w/snapcaps. Later said dont recomm dry firing at all. Then said see if I have same 'issue' (able to dryfire contantly w/out racking the slide) using live ammo....which made no sense. Finally said the way it functions in dryfire is normal. On phone, said it could damage the gun so they dont recommend it. But both refused to answer why the manual says nothing about such dry firing. Guess I can "practice" alot at home easily. Being disabled, dont get to a range often. Put in a snapcap to be extra safe of 'damage'.

snap caps are fine but you need the ones with the actual springing in them. But if on a budget just use a spent casing.

I am surprised at Taurus' response. The G3C intentionally has "re-strike" capability, which basically allows the user to pull the trigger a second or third time to re-engage the Striker if you get a light strike. I assure you it is intentional and dry firing is absolutely fine. In fact, it is a lot easier with the G3C.

"The trigger is of the single-action variety, but like a double-action it has re-strike capability should the round not fire the first time." Taurus G3C: Why a Sweet Trigger Changes Everything - Guns & Gadgets Daily

Not sure about the Taurus but I have some firearms that function like that. (Can continuously pull trigger without racking the slide)
(I just can't remember what firearms they are)
Not sure "dry firing" with live ammo is a thing lol

Been away from guns long time. Always revolvers. Taurus continuously dry fires/recocks, without racking slide. Thouht it was odd. Gunshop owner did too.
Taurus emails beat around the bush. Said they dont recommend dry firing....unless w/snapcaps. Later said dont recomm dry firing at all. Then said see if I have same 'issue' (able to dryfire contantly w/out racking the slide) using live ammo....which made no sense. Finally said the way it functions in dryfire is normal. On phone, said it could damage the gun so they dont recommend it. But both refused to answer why the manual says nothing about such dry firing. Guess I can "practice" alot at home easily. Being disabled, dont get to a range often. Put in a snapcap to be extra safe of 'damage'.
It's supposed to, lmao.

And no, you can't really use it to practice. The trigger pulls are different. Or at least the last one i tried, there's a difference. Treat it like a glock for that purpose.

It's supposed to, lmao.

And no, you can't really use it to practice. The trigger pulls are different. Or at least the last one i tried, there's a difference. Treat it like a glock for that purpose.
This. G3C has restrike capability. Mine does the same thing. No worries. Dry fire the hell out of it if you want to. Its not going to hurt anything.

The gun shop employee said to me it had "second strike" capabilities.

That's funny Taurus said not to dry fire it. Some modern pistols are the same way *cough* cz p07.

To think that for $300 more you could’ve had a G19 or a SP2022… what made you think buying a Taurus was a good idea???
?

I have 1000 rounds through mine without cleaning it even once. Small enough to be concealed carry big enough to shoot well. It’s a great gun…for $300. But you just recommended the OP pay double what he paid. Obviously paying double will get you a better gun.

To think that for $300 more you could’ve had a G19 or a SP2022… what made you think buying a Taurus was a good idea???
?

What makes YOU think it was a bad idea?

I carry a Taurus TH9 with over 900 rounds through it without a single malfunction. I prefer a hammer fired pistol ( and a double action hammer fired is a bonus ) over a striker fired pistol, especially if I had to carry inside the waist band.

I think you're just too hung up on marketing and other people's inexperienced opinions.

Last edited:
What makes YOU think it was a bad idea?

I carry a Taurus TH9 with over 900 rounds through it without a single malfunction. I prefer a hammer fired pistol ( and a double action hammer fired is a bonus ) over a striker fired pistol, especially if I had to carry inside the waist band.

I think you're just too hung up on marketing and other people's inexperienced opinions.
Let’s see, what could possibly make me think that it’s a bad idea? Maybe the trizillion stories online about their semis going off when you as much as wiggle them. Maybe the fact that one of the worst reputations of any of the existing firearms manufacturers doesn’t fall out of the sky? Maybe because I’m not as dumb as the armed forces and pick the lowest bidder for stuff I want to trust my life to? Maybe the fact that I don’t have the disposable income to buy cheap (and I don’t mean inexpensive) guns just for the hell of it? Maybe because I don’t think that taking a chance with a carry gun is a good idea?
I am a firm believer in the “buy once, cry once” credo. You know the saying “there’s nothing as expensive as a cheap lawyer”. Well, the same goes for firearms, IMO. There are proven and reliable quality choices like Glock or SIG for just a few bucks more out there. I’m not in the business of taking chances or catching falling knives.

Let’s see, what could possibly make me think that it’s a bad idea? Maybe the trizillion stories online about their semis going off when you as much as wiggle them. Maybe the fact that one of the worst reputations of any of the existing firearms manufacturers doesn’t fall out of the sky? Maybe because I’m not as dumb as the armed forces and pick the lowest bidder for stuff I want to trust my life to? Maybe the fact that I don’t have the disposable income to buy cheap (and I don’t mean inexpensive) guns just for the hell of it? Maybe because I don’t think that taking a chance with a carry gun is a good idea?
I am a firm believer in the “buy once, cry once” credo. You know the saying “there’s nothing as expensive as a cheap lawyer”. Well, the same goes for firearms, IMO. There are proven and reliable quality choices like Glock or SIG for just a few bucks more out there. I’m not in the business of taking chances or catching falling knives.
Complete bullshit.
None of your reasoning is from first hand experience.

I suppose you'll tell me that a Ruger P85 or P89 is a piece of shit too right?

And just an FYI, Taurus has been in the business of making guns for forty years longer than Glock and several other companies. They've improved exponentially, no matter what bad press your memory clings to.

Last edited:
see, you may call it bullshit, I just call it common sense. following your reasoning, people should eat shit, because billions of flies can’t be wrong. You just keep your Turdus and be happy. I keep my guns and will keep avoiding them, OK?

The Taurus G series has been very well received in the industry, and the G3C was the top choice for pistol of the year last year by a number of reputable reviewers because it has all of the value of a Glock 43 or P365 at half the price. I have over 500 rounds through mine without a single misfire, and wouldn't hesitate to trust it with my life. But that's because I believe personal experience is much more valuable than other people's opinions.

Well, I’m gonna follow your advice and not give a shit about other people‘s opinions. I’ll start with yours.

Based on your experience or you internet reading?
My own experience. And internet for that matter.
Did someone hurt your feelings ?Jesus christ. Im not a keyboard hero. I buy guns and i use them. From time to time I need to contact customer service. It always a shit show with Taurus. Even op said they told him a few different things.
You come after me like I just read an article. You need to calm down and buy all the Taurus guns you want.

I am surprised at Taurus' response. The G3C intentionally has "re-strike" capability, which basically allows the user to pull the trigger a second or third time to re-engage the Striker if you get a light strike. I assure you it is intentional and dry firing is absolutely fine. In fact, it is a lot easier with the G3C.

"The trigger is of the single-action variety, but like a double-action it has re-strike capability should the round not fire the first time." Taurus G3C: Why a Sweet Trigger Changes Everything - Guns & Gadgets Daily

This. It is perfectly normal. The G2 does it also. I used it as a selling point when I was shilling guns for Academy Sports.

When rimfire guns shouldn't be dry fired, it's usually because the firing pin can strike part of the gun, breech face or cylinder. When centerfire guns shouldn't be dry fired, it's usually because the firing pin/striker might break. Not a bad idea to have a spare striker/firing pin on hand in any case. If you dry fire the crap out of some centerfire pistol that the manufacture says shouldn't be, that's the earthshattering consequence you're probably looking at, swapping in a new striker or firing pin at some point. It's not the only way to break a firing pin. It's hardened steel. Can happen. If you don't get to the range much, you should inspect your gun to make sure your firing pin is still intact. It will probably sound subtly different after the tip breaks off, but you might not notice, and then the gun goes click instead of bang when you need it.

Ah, this is cool.

Based on your experience or you internet reading?
I've sold a lot working in gun retail. Face facts... Most of their lines are f***ing skinflint junk, the G3C, G3, a few others are exceptions that generally do better than their price class. They have come a long way with the G3/G3C but are still mostly ghetto/poverty/skinflint guns.

I mean... Taurus.... seriously?

20210807_144351.jpg

You have to push both of these levers to open the cylinder. What in the unholy f***?

Only Taurus could f*** something up this way.... [rofl]

Hopefully their new CEO will shitcan everything but the G3, G3C, and TX22 and just start over...

Back
Top Bottom