Taking two newbies shooting tonight.

Brin747

NES Member
My neighbor is from Britain and has a friend staying with him this week. The friend told my neighbor he'd love to shoot a gun while he's here so my buddy called me and asked if we could work it out. I am taking them out tonight to the local sand pits with a few choice selections to try out.

Neither has ever fired a real gun before and my neighbor tends to lean toward the anti side. This ought to be fun. Hopefully I'll report back two new converts later tonight.[grin]

Last edited:
I'm sure they'll have a blast (pun intended).

Actually, this is probably the best way to thwart any gun-grabbing in the future. The more that are on "our" side...

Sweet....A shame the guy will never be able to own a gun when he gets back.

Lots of people own guns in the UK. There are hoops, but they have hoops in MA & NJ and other states. All the guys I know have cans (silencers) for their rifles. They don't need to pay a silly $200 tax either.

B

As it turned out, a third friend of mine showed up as we were leaving so I extended the invite to him as well. He was more of the "never touched a gun and afriad of them) mindset.

We got to the range (sandpits) and I went through the various guns I brought, did a safety briefing, and then loaded one at a time and let them each shoot each gun.

We started with my Marlin 980S bolt action .22, then my old Springfield semi-auto .22. After they got the hang of sighting and shooting I broke out the Saiga for a few mags, then a round of SKS to finish off the rifle portion of the night. Everybody had a blast and they particularly loved the Saiga loud report.

We then moved a little closer to the targets and started with my Ruger Standard .22. All through the session I was going over safety, trigger discipline, and more safety. After a few mags on the Ruger we moved on to the Ruger P95 with laser sight (a big hit), then my S&W 6906, and finally I let them run through some .38's on my 642.

To cap off the evening, I let the visitor run through a full mag on the Saiga at dusk and we got it on video. He can't wait to go home and show all his friends.

DSCN8448.jpg

DSCN8450.jpg

DSCN8451.jpg

DSCN8455.jpg

DSCN8458.jpg

DSCN8459.jpg

DSCN8463.jpg

Last edited:
Just FYI - nonimmigrant aliens (tourist, student visa etc.) in the US cannot even legally hold the gun in their hands, unless they fall under few exceptions. For ordinary folks they either must have a valid hunting license from any state or entered the country for participating in shooting competition.

The feds don't really care about prosecuting the tourists that much, but law is on the books and I know at least one precedent where a person was sentenced.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the big grins on everybody's faces the first time they heard the Saiga go off. And after running through a mag on the P95 I knew I had them all hooked.

We brought blocks of 4X4 so we'd have some reactionary targets. We set up 6 of them in a line spaced a few feet and they had a great time trying to knock them all down.

Back
Top Bottom