Tactical vs Mid Length - ARs

Hi Guys -

Looking to puchase an AR15 (most likely a RRA) and I am trying to decide between the tactical and the mid-length models. From what I can tell - everything is pretty standard between them except where the gas block is located. I've read some posts that argue the tactical CARs are a bit harsher on the internals and the sighting is a little different based on the placement of the front site. I do like the look of the of the mid-length forearms, so even if I puchased a tactical, I would most likely upgrade to an after-market mid forearm.

Any additional reasons why the mid-lenght would be a better choice?

(Really just plan on using this for some tactical shoots)

Thanks and Merry Christmas.......

Why don't you start by sharing your experience level and what your
intended use for this rifle is (just the tactical shoots, home defense, hunting, High Power...)?

Thanks,
F

On the 3-gun forums, guys are always recommending the rifle gas systems even for the shorter barrels, so longer seems to the popular choice.

I have a RRA Entry Tactical and I believe that the short stock that mine has is great for protection at home but not so great for plinking at the range. I bought the 6 position adjustable when the "assault weapons ban" was ending thinking that they would reverse that stupid rule. Now I am going to get another stock that is a little longer but not full length I just haven't decided yet.

Shorter barrels sacrifice velocity which will affect trajectory on longer shots, out past 200 yds.

The tactical uses a carbine length gas system. it will be alittle harsher recoil with the quick gas impluse, and possible alittle less reliable.

The mid-length will be a little softer and possible more reliable.

Full length will be the softest.

You will not be able to a the mid-length hand guard on the tactical because the gas block with the front sight is to close to the upper. You will need to remove the front sight / gas block and install a low profile gas block and then get another front sight. Also if the muzzle brake is premanetly attached then you will have to have it removed.
you could install a carbine length 2 piece handguard without having to do all the above

Mid-length is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom