• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Switching out the buttstock on my M&P 15 sport question

So this is a question particular to Marxichusetts because it may involve the rules they enforce upon us. I own a M&P 15 sport rifle. I ordered an A2 style buttstock to replace the stock one. The bolt that keeps the stock buttstock attached could be pinned, if I'm understanding correctly. Would it come that way from Smith or will I be able to just use one of those buttstock wrenches and take it off no problem? You know, a wrench like this: AR-15+Stock+Wrench+Tool.jpg

I think you'll just need to use a vice, the wrench and some strength to unscrew the castle nut that keeps the buffer tube in place. Having said that, I think you'll need to replace the carbine buffer tube with a rifle length tube if you're throwing on an A2 stock. Also, I'm not sure if you'll have any issues using a carbine buffer and buffer spring or if those will need to be replaced with rifle buffer and rifle buffer spring as well...

Last edited:
I just recently replaced the stock on my M&P15 as well. On mine (and I assume on yours as well), the castle nut was staked. I had some issues getting the nut off by hand, so what I did was position my armorer's wrench on the nut, and then whack the end of the wrench with a rubber mallet. The nut came off on the first try, and I used much less force with the mallet than I expected to need to.

If you don't have a vice, you could always just sit on it while you do this...

My Sport also came staked. A castle nut wrench + some elbow grease and the castle nut came loose. The stock is pinned to the buffer tube, but the tube is not permanently attached to the upper receiver. Staking the back plate to keep the castle nut from coming loose is pretty standard.

My Sport also came staked. A castle nut wrench + some elbow grease and the castle nut came loose. The stock is pinned to the buffer tube, but the tube is not permanently attached to the upper receiver. Staking the back plate to keep the castle nut from coming loose is pretty standard.

What exactly is a "stake?"

thanks for all the suggestions, by the way.

please stop spreading mis information on the internet...

THIS is a Stake:
b2dd8048-052c-4a9b-a5cd-0762b5c3e2c9.jpg

please stop spreading mis information on the internet...

THIS is a Stake:
b2dd8048-052c-4a9b-a5cd-0762b5c3e2c9.jpg

Ribeye is my favorite. Problem is you can't get decent meat in the northeast like you can in the midwest. The first thing I noticed when I went out to the midwest was how much better their meat tasted.

Castle nut should come off with the wrench pictured, even if staked.

I like stake and potatos.

Be careful not to lose your buffer retaining pin and spring & your takedown pin detent and spring. Both are held in by the buffer tube/buttstock.

So does a stake require a dremel or drilling, or have people just used force to slip over them?

If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways.

Seriously though, you should be able to use a little oomph to get past the staking.

If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways.

Seriously though, you should be able to use a little oomph to get past the staking.

Thanks. I saw in an Amazon review someone dremelled the stakes out. I don't dremel unless absolutely necessary.

Back
Top Bottom