Swiss GP11 brass worth saving?

yogi

NES Member
Ended up with a Swiss K31 rifle. awesome shooter BTW. Does anybody reload Swiss 7.55x55 GP11 surplus brass? I know it is Berdan primed and that there are other considerations, just hate to recycle it. I also shoot PPU factory new ammo and from the several YouTube videos I watched it looks like I can reload this brass with a little care. Thanks!

Have you seen the videos about converting berdan brass to boxer? If you have a primer pocket swager and a drill, you basically just drill a new flash hole and then swage the berdan primer into a new boxer primer cup. I have heard that the GP11 brass is good brass, so it would probably do well with the conversion.

No I haven't seen those videos but will check them out. Thanks!

Ended up with a Swiss K31 rifle. awesome shooter BTW. Does anybody reload Swiss 7.55x55 GP11 surplus brass? I know it is Berdan primed and that there are other considerations, just hate to recycle it. I also shoot PPU factory new ammo and from the several YouTube videos I watched it looks like I can reload this brass with a little care. Thanks!
dont scrap it, depending on how much you have there are folks that reload with berdan primers. I was doing 54r and 8mm mauser before I got a good stock on boxer brass. Where are you and how much brass do you have?

I tried the conversion and it was a royal PITA ok for last ditch effort.

GP11 is a bear to decap. Instead of just being staked in place, it's crimped with an annular ring.

I have a Berdan decapper which works pretty well on everything else, but I could never do anything with GP11 except rip it out in pieces. I never bothered milling out the ring to re-prime it with Berdan primers.

GP11 is a bear to decap. Instead of just being staked in place, it's crimped with an annular ring.

I have a Berdan decapper which works pretty well on everything else, but I could never do anything with GP11 except rip it out in pieces. I never bothered milling out the ring to re-prime it with Berdan primers.

I pretty much copied this

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7lvZ1OwY7F4[/video]

Last edited:
If you don't want to reload this brass [easily decapped with water and a broken-tip Lee 30 caliber decap punch (no pin)], I'll offer 11 cents a piece (up to 300 pieces) if you will ship it to me. A USPS small flat-rate box should be able to handle 150 or more cases, I'm guessing.
Scrap value is 4.9 cents (case weighs about 194 grains; 36/lb., basis: $1.75/lb).

For that matter, if you ever get down around Foxwoods, you're welcome to bring your rifle and brass and I'll work with you on reloads for your K-31.
I reload/shoot mostly reduced cast loads, using the Lyman 311410, which makes for economical plinking on my 100 meter range.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-details-rifles.php?entryID=45
About the only other projectile I have in .30 caliber at present is a sabot load which uses a .224" bullet. I'll have to do some casting, since a RCBS 180 grainer (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...r-309-diameter-180-grain-semi-point-gas-check) is somewhere in my collection
If you have bullets of choice, bring them, too (I don't have many rifle powders at present beyond W748).

KBCraig: My RCBS tool works fine, but I prefer water to avoid any marking along the extractor groove. Try finely adjusting your cutter. Too deep, it may snap the cutter and/or damage the anvil. Too shallow and it will tear away at the primer cup until there's nothing left to catch.

FWIW, the SF308-125 NTP (https://www.sinterfire.com/Shop/Bullets/Rifle/308-Winchester/SF308-125-NTP-100-ct.aspx?p=28) works great in the K-31, as does the sabot
Oh... and don't neglect the plastic bullets either:

You could probably shoot these in your basement with a suitable backstop.

Last edited:
It appears that only 108 cases will fit into a small USPS Flat-Rate box, neatly stacked without cramming. If you have 500 or fewer pieces, I'll make it 15 cents each shipped. That comes out to about 12.5 cents S.V. (500 pieces @ 15 cents less $13 shipping / 500).
Offer good til month end.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom