SWAT standoff in Billerica

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about an active bb gun?

Not excusing the curmudgeon, but the neighbor and the police may just have overreacted a trifle.

I wouldn't say the police over reacted based on what they were supposedly told. The neighbor likely did. Again, this all could have ended with much less fan fare if the guy had come out and said it was just a BB gun.

Oh we definitely got in a lot of trouble at home when things like this were discovered or reported to our parents, but you know... we were different. We played outside. It's easier to keep track of kids these days when their plugged into computer or television screen all the time.

So [sad2]

I wouldn't say the police over reacted based on what they were supposedly told. The neighbor likely did. Again, this all could have ended with much less fan fare if the guy had come out and said it was just a BB gun.

Again, shouldn't police be asking questions when they arrive on scene rather than jumping to conclusions? They arrive on scene, no one is outside shooting. They have time to call SWAT and evacuate a neighborhood, but no time to verify a gun was fired or what type it was? Maybe get some background on previous calls at that location or talk to other neighbors?

It's doubtful if questions were asked that a long standing feud wouldn't come up.

Just talked to my elderly mom in Billerica.

She can't believe that swat was called in for an incident over a fricken bb gun.

[laugh]

This thread is retarded.

I feel like my 2A and 1A rights are being violated by the state, but all the rest of the BS that is being spewed out? Nah. The paranoia is a bit much. Just how many of you are living in shipping containers buried underground?

Again, shouldn't police be asking questions when they arrive on scene rather than jumping to conclusions? They arrive on scene, no one is outside shooting. They have time to call SWAT and evacuate a neighborhood, but no time to verify a gun was fired or what type it was? Maybe get some background on previous calls at that location or talk to other neighbors?

It's doubtful if questions were asked that a long standing feud wouldn't come up.

They tried to ask questions. The drunk nut job wasn't answering. They call SWAT. The guy talks to SWAT. The guy goes to jail. No shot dogs. No home invasions. What the heck are you upset with?

Police are told someone is shooting at houses.
Police show up to get the story.
Suspect locks himself in the house and refuses to talk.
Suspect could have been a nut job with hostages. Suspect could have been a drunk with a BB gun. Nobody knows which except the douchebag in the house not talking.
Police call SWAT in case it's the former.
Man talks to SWAT and says its the latter.

I don't have a problem with this. No rational person would.

Read the thread.

Read the thread and the article - maybe you are confusing a complaint with evidence.

Please point out any evidence of an active shooter situation that was evident in the reporting until such time that the guy admitted to shooting a BB gun?

Last edited:
Police are told someone is shooting at houses.
Police show up to get the story.
Suspect locks himself in the house and refuses to talk.
Suspect could have been a nut job with hostages. Suspect could have been a drunk with a BB gun. Nobody knows which except the douchebag in the house not talking.
Police call SWAT in case it's the former.
Man talks to SWAT and says its the latter.

There it is. The sad reality is that we live in a world where SWAT teams are necessary. Whether or not they're used judicially, and the manner in which they're funded is most certainly up for debate, but the biggest problem here, - seems to me anyway-, is that said 70 year old neighbor was too drunk, or too stubborn, to answer the phone when the cops called.

We now know who the Old Drunk was, Messala, they must have let him out!

Considering you don't do well when confronted with facts, I figured I would bring it down a level. Shame on me.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Considering you don't do well when confronted with facts, I figured I would bring it down a level. Shame on me.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Considering you have a problem with reality, I will not confront you with it. Plus, Derek likes us to play nice.[rofl]

Seriously. Some of you on this site live in full retard mode.

You never, ever go Full Retard.

dog-parrot.jpg

An assumption which leads to the adage "only guilty people invoke their 5A rights"...
But that's the issue here--he didn't invoke his 5A rights. He holed himself up in his house refusing to have any outside contact.

As Martlet says, he resused to so much as come out of his house. At a minimum, he could have said "I have nothing to say, talk to my attorney."

- - - Updated - - -

I called it. Knew there had to be a great story with this one.

I love these 'out yourself' threads!! [popcorn]
God forbit anyone disagree, lest they not longer remain NES sheep who don't hold the same views you do.

But that's the issue here--he didn't invoke his 5A rights. He holed himself up in his house refusing to have any outside contact.

As Martlet says, he resused to so much as come out of his house. At a minimum, he could have said "I have nothing to say, talk to my attorney."

- - - Updated - - -

God forbit anyone disagree, lest they not longer remain NES sheep who don't hold the same views you do.

I dunno. I'd be a little surprised to find the police didn't pick up a vibe from the person making the complaint that there was something wrong with the story.

I'm not asking the patrol officers to walk up to the suspect's house in a tee shirt and say "we've got you surrounded!" But calling out SWAT for a old drunk with a bb gun just seems out of proportion.

I dunno. I'd be a little surprised to find the police didn't pick up a vibe from the person making the complaint that there was something wrong with the story.

I'm not asking the patrol officers to walk up to the suspect's house in a tee shirt and say "we've got you surrounded!" But calling out SWAT for a old drunk with a bb gun just seems out of proportion.

Hindsight is 20/20. At the time they didn't know he had a BB gun. The only info they had came from the neighbor who called in the complaint, saying that some drunk guy took a pot shot at their house with a handgun. Then when they go to get his side of the story, he refuses to (or is too drunk to) answer the door or phone.

Hindsight is 20/20. At the time they didn't know he had a BB gun. The only info they had came from the neighbor who called in the complaint, saying that some drunk guy took a pot shot at their house with a handgun. Then when they go to get his side of the story, he refuses to (or is too drunk to) answer the door or phone.

That's a good argument for involving police with the community. They *could* have known there was history between these two.

Where I grew up, the police were neighbors that sometimes wore a uniform and badge, and you saw at the town dump on Saturday morning or mowing his lawn on Sunday afternoon. The chief knew darned right well where the "issues" in town were.

Wow, this thread is still open? I spent the day rigging my house so if fired upon it can fight back on its own.

Where I grew up, the police were neighbors that sometimes wore a uniform and badge, and you saw at the town dump on Saturday morning or mowing his lawn on Sunday afternoon. The chief knew darned right well where the "issues" in town were.
My guess would be that a town like Billerica logs somewhere around 20k-25k incidents per year. Having been in that position myself--showing up to a scene and having the parties expect that I know every line in their own life dramas--I can tell you police are generally far too busy to always know everything that's going on.

Reading all the reports in their entirety in the 16 hours that occured when I'm off duty would take hours, time that I can't justify taking off the road. Take a vacation, or just go on your normally scheduled days off, and it's damn near impossible to read every incident that your PD is involved with.

I am not calling for anarchy, nor is anyone else in this thread. We are calling for limited government as laid out by the constitution. You do not know what anarchy is or what an anarchist believes in, so I will help you:

For what it's worth, it may be helpful to remember that you are arguing with someone whose definition of rational is whether they agree with him or not. Having a point really isn't relevant in this discussion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom