SW Sigma Series

They're reliable, reasonably accurate if you can shoot it, and are cheap.

But the trigger, its horrible. I have my SW9F in front of me right now. I think it has a 15 pound pull (and this is a pre-AWB version, much less AG regs version). It also has an annoying tendency to eject to my face, but I think that's just a problem with an old ejector/spring.

Short story is that if you pick one up and don't mind the trigger (newer ones should be a little more crisp than mine which is sort of mushy) then it would be fine as a range/CCW gun.

I think they are CRAP! But then again I am lucky enough to live in a free state where I can buy something much better.

Do a search, as there are probably hundreds of posts regarding these handguns.

I find the grip on them extremely natural, unfortunately it seems to prod the finger into the trigger guard. For a plinker at that price its a no brainer, not sure if I would use one for carry.

I have a SW40P the ported version. It has never given me one problem and always been accurate. Never looked back on the price I paid for it.

My first CCW was a SW9VE. I owned if for about 2 months until I finally decided to sell it and purchase a much better quality weapon. I found the trigger to be extremely heavy. Constantly trying to overcompensate for such a heavy trigger pull was throwing off my aim. I also didn't like the hinged safety trigger. It felt very unnatural to me. As stated in a previous post, mine also had a tendancy to eject hot brass at my face. In conclusion, I was unimpressed with the overall quality, however I suppose you do get what you pay for. I would definately recommend saving the aggrivation and spend the money on an acual Glock instead of a cheap Glock clone.

edited to add: The S&W Sigma Series has been discussed here several times. If you do a search you will find several topics and reviews covering this weapon.

Last edited:
I have a SW40VE. It has never malfunctioned since I've had it. I shoot it reasonably well (it just takes practice). My only issue is that I wish I bought the 9mm instead of the 40 s&w version so I could practice for less. If you are on a budget its a good choice and if not you'll have $$ left over for practice ammo.

for the price - it's not a bad deal... anyway,

DejaVu -

i've fired my brother's Sigma 40, my buddy's Sigma 9 and they aren't that bad... i think the price throws people off....

I find the Sigma and full size M&P's have similar 10# pulls - but you can practice practice practice with it and make it your own...

I don't own one, but i think it's a perfect platform to "practice" or CCW with... especially if you are on a budget... i've seen these used for as low as $200 around the area......

I own an M&P9 compact - which is my CCW... no problems with it whatsover

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two of them...a .40 and a 9mm. They are fairly new...I got them with the $50 rebate and two free mags.

Both are accurate and reliable. No malfunctions on either one, but I have only run a few hundred rounds through each one. The trigger doesn't bother me at all. It's similar to a DA revolver.

They aren't range queens.....but they are good for self defense IMO. I usually carry one or the other.

Check out the S&W forum for more info/reviews.

That series of firearms have been junk since the beginning, I'd save up for a used or rebuilt glock as well...

There's a old post about how to lighten the trigger on S&W Forum.

Basically you do your own trigger job by using a punch on the pin at the rear and taking out the firing pod.

Once you take it out you remove the very bottom spring and reinsert the pod. It lightens the trigger pull alot with no effects on it's abilty to fire or eject..

If you do any mods without clearing through S & W you void your warranty..... something to think about....

Incorrect. S&W will honor the warranty regardless of any work. However, if you send it back, and that mod is part of the problem, they will remove it and restore it to factory condition.

That series of firearms have been junk since the beginning, I'd save up for a used or rebuilt glock as well...

LOL - why would I save up close to $450 for a Glock 17 / 22 when I can buy a new SIGMA?

DEJA VU again - they are pretty much the same freakin gun, but the sigma has better ergo over the glock... the trigger is the only arguable (sp) issue. some like them, some don't... the same guns are always mentioned.. Glock, SIGMA & M&P's

see this great discussion about 9mm

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=426019#post426019

I apologize if I was incorrect about S & W, a factory rep told me if it wasnt done through a certified gunsmith that it would void the warranty, that was about 12 yrs ago... cudos for the LOL, but I still think nothing beats a Glock when it comes to reliability..... Just my opinion though.....

but I still think nothing beats a Glock when it comes to reliability..... Just my opinion though....

I had a Glock 22 for a while. I agree and I admire the "cult like" following Glock has...

However, I also own a few guns that are equally reliable.

The edge for me was the better ergo on the Ruger P345 and M&P9c... hence why I carry them.

The price was also a factor. I paid in the $400 range (each) for these two guns brand new.

A Glock of equal caliber (.45) or size (G26/27) would have ran be close to double in MA.

My SW1911 rang in at $774 before the $100 rebate....

Again, none of these guns have failed me to date. I have at least 500 rounds of ammo through each... Winchester, Remington, Blazer CCI, Independence, American Eagle, Federal... JHP or FMJ's

I still look at Glocks - but not the same as when I owned one. They definatley have their niche (sp) in the market...

Back to the Sigma's... same thing. they are inexpensive, reliable and made in-state. How bad can the be? I mean in the worst case, a trigger job. Smith and Wesson even lets you try before you buy at their Springfield, MA location... so it's a win-win.....

The Sigma is not in the same price class or refinement level as the Glock or the M&P. It's made as a value buy for those who don't spend 90% of their net income on guns (thus, no one here)

I had 2 sigmas, and they jammed every third round, on brand new guns.... look around at different shops, you can find some reasonable prices on glocks...

The Sigma is not in the same price class or refinement level as the Glock or the M&P. It's made as a value buy for those who don't spend 90% of their net income on guns (thus, no one here)

I am NOT affiliated with Smith and Wesson in any way....

I hold my M&P in one hand and can hold a Glock, Sigma, Walther, Ruger, Sig ect. ect. ect.. in the other hand...

Are they that much different?

My Ruger is probably "best feeling" gun in my hand for me.... I love my 1911, but the controls aren't as reachable...

I've also held 1st and 2nd Gen Glock 19 / 23's that felt just a cheesy....IMO.

**again, I will say the Sigma gets a bad rep because of the price**

What makes it feel cheap? I mean the thing shoots, mag release works, slide locks are there.... the magazines are metal vs. plastic...

I read the same complaints about Sig's, Walther, Glock, Kimber ect. ect... but those guns cost more....

I think a lot of 1st time buyers are potentially being cheated by over looking a Sigma when they go buy a gun. $200 bucks???? Shit!, that's beer money! LOL

And I think I was illustrating that by noting that it's in a different class than the others. It is a well made, reliable handgun for people on a budget.

And I think I was illustrating that by noting that it's in a different class than the others. It is a well made, reliable handgun for people on a budget.

Bingo! Most of the people who trash it have never even held one. Yes, the trigger is tough, but with a little practice that is easily overcome. It's a trade off for being a safe carry piece.[grin]

Yep.

I've been tempted to buy another one as a SHTF backup, just because it's so cheap. I definitely like it better than the CZ-82 which is the only other comparable semiauto in that price range that I own.

The 2 tht I had were junk, the one my friend had was junk, and any reputable dealer tries to stay away from them.... some dealers dont give a sh** and will sell you what ever you get tickled pink over.... my Glock doesnt need a trigger job, doesnt need ramp polishing etc. etc...

Well, brand new guns will sometimes need a few hundred rounds.

No one is saying that the M&P and Glocks aren't better, because they generally are. But a Sigma, for someone who doesn't have the money to burn, can get a Sigma for HD use and still have $200+ to pay the bills with over one of the others.

The 2 tht I had were junk, the one my friend had was junk, and any reputable dealer tries to stay away from them.... some dealers dont give a sh** and will sell you what ever you get tickled pink over.... my Glock doesnt need a trigger job, doesnt need ramp polishing etc. etc...

Sorry, I'm a reputable dealer.
We make a lot more money on the higher end versions, but I would never hesitate to recommend them to anyone on a budget. Smith is a good company and stands behind their product. If there is a problem they fix it.

These internet myths just get out of control. Sorry you didn't like yours but to disparage dealers who sell them is disingenuous. I suppose you'd say that about Carl?

I'm not trying to offend anyone here, if I did I am truly sorry... If the economy was in great shape, and Glocks were MA complian, and some one asked you which one would you pick to protect your families life, what would you tell them???

I'm not trying to offend anyone here, if I did I am truly sorry... If the economy was in great shape, and Glocks were MA complian, and some one asked you which one would you pick to protect your families life, what would you tell them???

RugerGlockSigSmithParaWalther.... LOL

We only have a handful of choices - in Mass

i am NOT offended.... this is yet, another interesting discussion w/o flaming.

+1 for you... i don't even know how to add rep points... [smile]

*just learned... gee2gee

Back
Top Bottom