• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Survival/Bushcraft Knife - There can be only one (or two)

On Survival-Bushcraft Knives: Most folks will pick the biggest, nastiest knife on the table when selecting an S-B knife. I've found that a blade between 4-5 inches is best suited for
this use. One example is to try and carve a small L7 trigger trap for meat harvesting with a 7-inch behemoth that you would baton a small log with. Futile...

You will more often wish you had a smaller knife... and almost never wish you had a bigger one...
1630865884950.png 1630865966753.png

My vote: Mora Garberg Carbon

1630866231644.png

Moras are great and cheap. Get two; that solves your backup problem. Carbon trumps stainless.

Post what you get!

Moras are great but which Moraknivs are you talking about? The cheap ones like the Companion, which I own several of, I’ll always go stainless. The practical benefits outweigh the carbon versions, as the carbon versions also have a polished spine that isn’t suitable as a fire starter. Only a few of the bushcraft specific carbon Mora knives are designed to be fire strikers. Sure, the more expensive bushcraft carbon Mora’s are great. That doesn’t fall in the cheap Mora category though.

adventure sworn... kind of like 1911s - you show them off to your friends...
kxFxXPc.jpg

but when I need to actually go out in the woods, I take the Terava Skrama and/or Bark River...

seriously - get the Mora (or two)

I am not a knife guy... but my son bought this for me for Father's Day. I immediately began to abuse it camping and batoning wood for fire starting. Only posting it because I raised him right lol.

I don't think this is something I would buy on purpose for how I use it.

20210906_093106.jpg

On Survival-Bushcraft Knives: Most folks will pick the biggest, nastiest knife on the table when selecting an S-B knife. I've found that a blade between 4-5 inches is best suited for
this use. One example is to try and carve a small L7 trigger trap for meat harvesting with a 7-inch behemoth that you would baton a small log with. Futile...

You will more often wish you had a smaller knife... and almost never wish you had a bigger one...
View attachment 519725 View attachment 519726

View attachment 519727

That's a good point. I may find a smaller fixed blade to go along with my camping gear

The Randall Model 5 is their camp knife, and although you can order it at any length, it was originally just 5 inches and I find that's about the right length around camp (I carry mine often; it's my go-to user fixed blade in the woods, along with an old Benchmade Nimravus or sometimes a Randall Gambler). I do often use something shorter and thinner for wilderness chores, too. When you're carving, something like a Swiss army knife is just perfect.

View attachment 519725 View attachment 519726

View attachment 519727

I have to disagree... If you can only carry 1 knife... I want the big one... A big knife can do anything a small knife can do... Not well, but it can do it. The same can not be said about a small knife filling the role of a large blade. You ain't building a shelter, processing firewood, etc. with a 4" blade... It just ain't happening.

I have to disagree... If you can only carry 1 knife... I want the big one... A big knife can do anything a small knife can do... Not well, but it can do it. The same can not be said about a small knife filling the role of a large blade. You ain't building a shelter, processing firewood, etc. with a 4" blade... It just ain't happening.

@ThePreBanMan and a buddy, picking up supplies on their way out to the woods for the weekend:

1630939533682.png

Seems like they have specific requirements for the course and this won't work, but a classic option and its current gen version for a bug out bag or other survival needs:

31+7KnEW8IL._AC_.jpg
514wQrvRHNL._AC_SL1035_.jpg

Dad had the former when flying for the Marines before and during Vietnam. Since I have one of the leather handled ones, I need to remember to put it in my Oh shit! pack.

The former is still sold as the OntarioKnife Model 499. We have one made by the original contractor, Camillus, in 1993. The blade is unblued 1095 and the sheath is slightly different, but that's all. The odd thing is that neither my wife nor I remember buying the thing.

"Back in the day" (of M81 camo w/ Elvis collars) I carried a BFK in the field for a short time.
It was a cool blade (despite the finish flaking off), but it proved to be too unwieldy for use in the field opening MREs, cutting 550 cord, and opening mangos.
Even for cutting aiming stakes and building shelters, it was just too much knife (heavy).
I gladly sold the knife to another Marine, who seemed to enjoy it.

The first Marine on the left (still buddies with today) carried an SRK (Survival Rescue Knife) from Cold Steel and he still has it.
I thought that was a really good knife also.

Colombia, July 1990:
Mangos in Columbia 1990 cropped.jpg

Last edited:
The former is still sold as the OntarioKnife Model 499. We have one made by the original contractor, Camillus, in 1993. The blade is unblued 1095 and the sheath is slightly different, but that's all. The odd thing is that neither my wife nor I remember buying the thing.

Almost everyone I know who went to jumpmaster school bought one of those old-school ASEKs at graduation. They always wore them on the outside of their boots when doing JM duties, in case of a towed jumper. I always figured it was partly because of the risk of loss; they're a cheap knife to replace.

Last edited:
That is the great thing about knives... Personal Choice.

If you're happy; I'm happy. 😘

the one on the left is a scout model (tribute to joe robinet's dog scout) with ironwood burl scales. The one on the right is a tradesman model also with ironwood burl scales... I forgot what motivated me to purchase these as I had busted up several previous adventure sworn blades.I am better served by cheap but decent blades like the Mora or skrama

so far the skrama is my favorite. Its big but takes an edge pretty quick - you would still need a smaller blade for cleaning game, fine work etc...The mora fills that niche

Ordered the Mora Garberg which delivered this evening. Damn, nice knife! Very robust and perfect execution of a Scandi bevel- edge is razor sharp. I was expecting to have to work on that edge but it's GTG right out of the box. I also ordered another ferro rod- haven't seen mine since one of the kids borrowed my pack. Back of the Mora against the ferro rod throws huge sparks that keep burning a while. Pleased and impressed with both.

Ordered the Mora Garberg which delivered this evening. Damn, nice knife! Very robust and perfect execution of a Scandi bevel- edge is razor sharp. I was expecting to have to work on that edge but it's GTG right out of the box. I also ordered another ferro rod- haven't seen mine since one of the kids borrowed my pack. Back of the Mora against the ferro rod throws huge sparks that keep burning a while. Pleased and impressed with both.
For the Good of the Order... Where and how much? I got mine from BladeHQ for a little under a hundo delivered... ($98.60) CURRENTLY IN STOCK
Morakniv Garberg Fixed Blade Knife Black w/ Sheath (4.25" Black Carbon) - Blade HQ

All excellent advice/observations. I’m definitely counting on it being ‘more than meets the eye’, and the class reviews tell the story a little better than the official syllabus.

I forgot you were really involve with the scouts with your sons. Also something I’ve toyed with getting involved in at some point if they’re still accepting un-woke non-transgender people into the organization? Might seem a little weird for a guy with no kids to want to get involved with a youth group, but I was in big brothers/big sisters for a while too when I was back in MA and it was a really rewarding experience.

anyway, back to the knives, I’ll probably take your advice on one of the Mora’s, but can’t bring myself to buy a k-bar, lol. I refrained from buying one through 8 years in the corps because I never wanted to be ‘that Marine’...there are plenty of those guys out there to satisfy the quota. That being said, it WAS a standard issue item to some (like your dad), which is totally bad ass. I’m not that cool...all I got was an m16 and an m9.

Have a look at the Boker BK2. I wouldn't go out in the bush without mine.

Back
Top Bottom