• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Survival/Bushcraft Knife - There can be only one (or two)

Snap seems to open a little too easy for me.
You can gently ovalize the male side of the snap to increase the tension of the clip spring on it to make it harder to release.
(if you are comfortable with tools...)

1631324388856.png

Was thinking the same thing. I have several different sized hammers! Haha
i will gently squeeze in a vice for maximum control.
Thx
let you know

Is there really much benefit to the fancier sheaths? I've got some Amazon points burning a hole on my pocket.
The MOLLE mount may be good for someone who wants to hang it off their pack gear. It also has mount holes to allow you to mount it on a boat/wall/under a desk... ( [rofl] )
The Leather sheath looks like it would be good in heavy woods with lots of bushwhacking.
Where vines may catch and hold onto the belt clip style poly sheath and dislodge it from your belt.

But for me, the really useful sheath is the poly with speed clip... well, that and the great price.

Seeing how this is the most recent new thread on the topic I would like to add this review:

Ontario SP1 Marine Combat Fixed Blade Knife 7" Drop Point 1095 Black Carbon Steel Blade Kraton Handle Black​

From Midway USA $ 39.95

1631902621898.png

1631900456007.png

Bought this as a "truck" knife in the hopes that all the great reviews that I found were accurate. They were not...

This may have been a really great, low-cost "beater" pre-2016; but the manufacturer has dropped the ball on current production.

It lists as "1095" high carbon steel in the description, but a reviewer who contacted Ontario Knife Co. directly said "It's made with 1075 steel since 2016..."

So, about my knife:

~Blade was crudely finished with slight blems and discoloration.
~Blade edge was unevenly ground/sharpened; showing a non-centered edge that was what I call "blunt"
not only would it not slice paper, but it would not even "bite and tear" it. Pitiful. (I don't mind a blade that needs a "touch-up" but this needed a whole new grind.
~Top swedge also looked poorly forged, with small ripples along its edge
~Kraton handle had a nice feel and was grippy, but only in the palm swell. as far as the guard/bolsters; they were "flexible" and would easily push forwards and backwards. (think rubber knife) This "flexibility" had the feel and movement of silicone, and felt as if it would yield easily to a plunging strike with either wet or dry grip. Likewise, zero protection if object were to come at your hand from the front of the knife. Steel guard/bolsters would perform much better.
I know Kraton is injection-molded to the handle, but the "guards" are just unsupported Kraton and not Kraton covered steel.
Same with the curved butt, Raw, rubber feel. See Red Arrows above for "flexible" Kraton areas.
~Knife is "Made In USA" (one of the reasons I considered it.) but, Sheath is made in China and is of the cheapest construction.
~I felt that this knife was of such Low Quality, I paid the shipping return fee of $9 bucks... on a $39 dollar knife.

YMMV, but my suggestion is to "PASS" on this knife.

~Enbloc

Last edited:
I received my spare Mora Garberg Carbon today and it is a perfect specimen. Blade is well-executed and what I would call a solid 8 out of 10 for sharpness.
I was able to get this for $75.05 on Amazon.

I also received a Gray Glock G81 field knife from Midway ($29.99) that also was very well executed. Perfect finish and grind. The Gray color is more of a dark charcoal
and nothing like the chalky gray in the photos. I like that the G81 has a very aggressive saw-back spine. This will be my new "Truck" knife...

1632022372463.png

Color is more like this, and really looks good against the black of the blade...

1632023696250.png 1632022555909.png

Plus there's this...

Last edited:
Ordered the Mora Garberg which delivered this evening. Damn, nice knife! Very robust and perfect execution of a Scandi bevel- edge is razor sharp. I was expecting to have to work on that edge but it's GTG right out of the box. I also ordered another ferro rod- haven't seen mine since one of the kids borrowed my pack. Back of the Mora against the ferro rod throws huge sparks that keep burning a while. Pleased and impressed with both.
Thought I'd give the bushcraft knife thread a bump in honor of Enbloc, as it was his recommendation that prompted me to get the Mora Garberg in carbon steel.

This October I spent over a week at a remote, off-grid camp in Maine for grouse hunting and general outdoor adventures. Can't hunt for birds on Sunday so I hunted for gold and found some despite a flooded Carrabassett River. Weather went from too warm to too cold very quickly, so I had need to feed a small stove to heat the cabin. Cut wood was available but no kindling and any twigs or brush was wet. The Mora worked way better to split small logs and strip out some kindling from the dry center of the logs. My buddy brought a hatchet but after seeing how well the Mora worked he borrowed it to make his own kindling.

I used strips of paper and tissue for tinder and rather than use a match I thought I'd try striking the ferro rod with the back of the Mora. Hot damn, that thing throws one hell of a stream of sparks and worked way better than a match. I keep this stuff in my truck emergency pack now.

While you are at it, ask him about his favorite shooting, hunting, and fishing spots also.

😆
Naa, not enough time 4 shooting hunting or fishing. Digging gold is a sport 4 me, my ol man is a master gold smith, so I know it take a lot to dig 4 gold and turn it into something, or making a profit.

Naa, not enough time 4 shooting hunting or fishing. Digging gold is a sport 4 me, my ol man is a master gold smith, so I know it take a lot to dig 4 gold and turn it into something, or making a profit.
You missed the point of my previous post.

That nice,I did not know that one can dig for gold in newengland .I'll give it a try when I have time. Know any good place?

While you are at it, ask him about his favorite shooting, hunting, and fishing spots also.

😆

LOL, actually I do have popular spots I can recommend, though they do tend to get hit fairly hard. I'll see if there's an appropriate thread and post info there, then come back here with the link.

LOL, actually I do have popular spots I can recommend, though they do tend to get hit fairly hard. I'll see if there's an appropriate thread and post info there, then come back here with the link.
Ok,am not out to get gold and get rich(my uncle own a gold mine at home),just that it fun to run around digging for gold sometime.post what u can,public access places are best,that way I don't have to step on some redneck land and get into gun fight lol.

Back
Top Bottom