Surface for reloading bench??

Hi,

I have a bench I built myself, with a 1/2 inch plywood top, 2x4 frame and 4x4 legs. I like how sturdy and heavy the bench has turned out.

I reload, tinker and clean firearms at this bench. I've noticed that the plywood top is not ideal, because it is pourous and solvents, oil etc are soaking into the top. Also a smoother surface would be helpful with keeping the location clean.

I was thinking a sheet of some type of thin hard surface would work well to place over the plywood? What would be the preffered material to use?

I've already mounted a metal vise and a couple single stage presses to the bench and I'd prefer not to have to rip it all apart to replace the whole top.

Anyone have any suggestions what would work well?

Thanks!

I'm in need of something for my bench as well. I was thinking white Formica would do the trick but I'd be curious to see what others suggest. I'm not sure how well the formica would hold up to solvents etc.

I built one from a pre-manufactured counter top available in various legnths at Lowes or Home Depot. holds up great. I would think you could laminate a plywood top with a glued down formica type material and it would work fine

1/2" plywood?

do yourself a favor and add at LEAST another layer of 1/2"....or 3/4" CDX ideally. you want to have as LITTLE flex as possible for a press.

white formica is a good choice! that's what i did on my bench. the white covering keeps you from losing small parts easily (almost anything is easy to see on a white surface), although it does tend to get dirty pretty easily (nothing a little windex cant clean off though). contact cement FTW....just make sure you cut your formica a little oversized, then clean up the edges with a router.

DSC_2473.jpg

bench surface

How about epoxy paint like you'd use on a garage floor? It's chemical and abrasion resistant. It's also washable and you don't need to remove anything you've already mounted to the bench. If it gets messed up, give it another coat. Just a thought.

If you start using the vise hard, you may find that the top isn't heavy enough. I suggest another sheet of 1/2" plywood and paint it gloss white plus install a 1/4" lip around the edge to stop stuff from rolling off.

Last edited:
When I built mine I used doubled up 3/4 ply, I wrapped it with 1X pine leaving it 1/4" above the plywood. I cut a piece of hardboard to fit, dropped it in and a few screws to hold it in place so now it's flush with the pine wrap. When it gets messed up...I just replace the hardboard. A piece of laminate is pretty cheap as well and easy enough to put down.

I painted my bench with a heavy duty grade garage flloor paint. After I topped my bench off with MDF over the 3/4 in plywood. It is a smooth finish.

1/4" tempered hardboard over the base, attached with a few brads. Rugged, warm, not too shiney, a little absorbent, easily removed and cheaply replaced.

I put 1/4 masonite on my bench but built the sides up 1/4 inch (1 X 4 surrounding the bench) over the 3/4 CDX. With the lipped top, I cut the masonite to fit and after it gets real grimy, I'll put another piece in. Cheap and easy.

+1 formica

do the formica thing, be careful about getting countertop at HD or Loews,

its not Formica, its some cheap shit they mold to make it look good.

mine is white formica and it works well and is eay to clean.

you can do this yourself, get some MDF or particle board and some contact
cement, not the water base crap, and lay it up yourselrf.

if your not familiar on how to do it, PM me for instructions...

JimB

Last edited:
Built my bench with a prefab countertop I got at Lowes. I didn't care for the slippery surface, I found that carpet squares work great on top. They come 24" X 24" and they're rubber backed. I do all my cleaning on these. Eventually I'll have to clean them,but there just laying on top, so I'd don't think Its anything a pressure washer can't fix.

I used 0.75" plywood topped with the fake wood patern formica. It has lasted for years and is showing no signs of letting up. Solvent, oil, powder, grease... what ever. Just wipe it up with a rag and your done.

Back
Top Bottom