Surefire EP4 Sonic Defender Plus hearing protection

I am looking for some kind of hearing protection I can use for hunting and I wanted to see if anyone has tried these.

http://www.surefire.com/EP4-Sonic-Defenders-Plus

I have an old, 30 years plus, set of Sonic Disk earplugs but when I used the last weekend shooting a AR15 I found they were useless. (right ear is still not right) The specs on these don't make much sense as they rate them at NRR 19dB but they say that a 120dB level noise will be attenuated by 39dB.

I guess what I need to know is in the real world will these do the job and protect your hearing?

You can change the dB reduction by opening or covering that little hole in the center. "Open" will allow you to still hear conversation while "closed" will do a decent job of blocking out almost everything.

They're fine for a few hours, but they can become a bit of a pain if you're looking to wear them all day. Also, make sure that you get the right size, because that will only exacerbate the issue.

I've been using a set of them for 4 years now on and off at the range. They're comfy and easy to insert/remove, and perfectly adequate for .556 and 12 gauge. That said, they don't block as much sound as your standard cheap foam earplugs - which I discovered while shooting my buddy's 45-70 once. *riiiiiiiiiing*

Back
Top Bottom