• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Supreme Court to Review Domestic-Abuser Gun Ban

SFC13557

NES Member
From Today's WSJ.
Didn't see this posted elsewhere.

Hearing of case to follow court’s blockbuster 2022 ruling that expanded gun rights​

"The Supreme Court said Friday it would decide whether people subject to domestic-violence protective orders have a Second Amendment right to be armed.

The new consideration of gun rights gives the court an opportunity to say more about the scope of the Second Amendment a year after it issued a blockbuster ruling that expanded gun rights and adopted a new legal approach that bases the constitutionality of weapons regulations on whether similar laws existed early in the nation’s history.

The case is one of a half-dozen the justices added to their docket before their summer break. The court will hear the cases in its next term that begins in October.
In the gun case, the Biden administration is appealing a ruling that threw out the conviction of an Arlington, Texas, man, Zackey Rahimi, for possessing firearms while under a domestic-violence restraining order. A federal law enacted in 1994 disarmed individuals whom courts have ordered to stop threatening an intimate partner after finding they pose a credible threat. Over the past year, lower courts, attempting to apply the Supreme Court’s guidance in its 2022 decision, New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. Bruen, have issued conflicting rulings on whether the 1994 law is constitutional.
Police in 2021 executed a warrant to search Rahimi’s home after suspecting his involvement in more than one shooting, finding a pistol, a rifle and ammunition, along with a copy of the restraining order against him. His ex-girlfriend obtained the two-year protection order in February 2020, alleging in an affidavit that Rahimi physically abused her, threatened to kill her while brandishing a gun and fired a gun at her vehicle while she tried to flee him. The order restrained him from harassing, stalking or threatening his ex-girlfriend and their child.
In February, a three-judge panel of the New Orleans-based Fifth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the domestic-abuser law violated the Second Amendment. The defendant, “while hardly a model citizen, is nonetheless among ‘the people’ entitled to the Second Amendment’s guarantees,” Judge Cory T. Wilson, who was appointed by former President Donald Trump, wrote in the ruling.
The Rahimi case could clarify when misconduct or dangerousness strips a citizen of Second Amendment rights.

The appeals court relied on Bruen’s holding that lower courts should judge the constitutionality of gun-control measures based on their similarity to historical firearm regulation from the country’s early years in the late 1700s and 1800s.
That high court ruling, which struck down New York’s century-old concealed handgun permitting requirements, reinvigorated challenges to federal gun-control provisions that make it illegal for certain classes of people to possess firearms.
In Rahimi’s case, the Fifth Circuit panel concluded the domestic-abuse gun law didn’t have adequate historical support.
In March, a California federal judge declared the same statute constitutional. Judges have also clashed on whether gun rights should be extended to marijuana users, people convicted of nonviolent crimes and defendants under felony indictment.
The Justice Department moved swiftly to get the Rahimi ruling before the Supreme Court. U.S. Solicitor General Elizabeth Prelogar in the government’s appeal said the Fifth Circuit had “overlooked the strong historical evidence supporting the general principle that the government may disarm dangerous individuals.”
The federal law under which Rahimi had been convicted addresses “a profound threat to public safety that was ignored or minimized for too much of our Nation’s history,” she wrote, warning that striking it down would threaten “grave consequences for the safety of victims of domestic violence, law-enforcement officers and the public.”
Most states have their own laws that make it a crime to possess firearms while under a domestic-violence restraining order, many of which require people placed under orders to relinquish their guns.
Rahimi faces state charges including aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, and he remains in custody, according to Tarrant County records. A felony conviction on the state charges would also disqualify him from gun ownership."

It's also being discussed in the Bruen mega thread, but Rahimi definitely deserves its own thread, there's going to be a lot to discuss.

This will really send the Leftists over the edge if the Court rules against them. It's obviously illegal to prohibit a citizen from owning a firearm without being convicted of a crime. Since we live in the People's Republic, we know it's SOP in Ma. for a women's lawyer to seek a restraining order against a man as soon as she files for divorce. As I've stated before I know a few men who's ex-wives continued to torment them with DRO's.

22-915 UNITED STATES V. RAHIMI

DECISION BELOW: 2023 WL 2317796

LOWER COURT CASE NUMBER: 21-11001

QUESTION PRESENTED:
Whether 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(8), which prohibits the possession of firearms by persons subject to domestic-violence restraining orders, violates the Second Amendment on its face.

CERT. GRANTED 6/30/2023

18 U.S.C. 922(g)(8) says: It shall be unlawful for any person —
(8)who is subject to a court order that—
(A)
was issued after a hearing of which such person received actual notice, and at which such person had an opportunity to participate;
(B)
restrains such person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner of such person or child of such intimate partner or person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child; and
(C)
(i)
includes a finding that such person represents a credible threat to the physical safety of such intimate partner or child; or
(ii)
by its terms explicitly prohibits the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against such intimate partner or child that would reasonably be expected to cause bodily injury;

—I have no idea how they’re going to decide this but I’m hoping they decide that, while it may or may not apply to Rahimi, ERPOs or whatever require a greater standard to curb baseless accusations.

That’s probably one of the very few positives that can come from this as I cannot see where giving a guy like Rahimi his rights back after reading the facts in the original post here.

Need a case to get rid of the drunk driving gun ban thing too. I would NEVER drive intoxicated. However, it seems more appropriate to take someone's drivers license forever than let them earn that back and take away their gun rights forever.
Whoa, that’s a thing in Ma? I mean, convicted of a crime……

they already heard and ruled against a similar case out of Maine

I'm not holding out a lot of hope

If there has been any conviction for violation of law, you are not going to get restored as as they said in iirc Heller, gun ownership is limited to law abiding citizens

Now if you are just some poor SOB that had the restraining order weaponized against you in a divorce action, with no domestic violence charges pressed, or convicted, then there may be a glimmer of hope, bit I doubt it even in light of the Bruen decision.

Since there is a history of battered women shooting their man after a long history of being beat up, but not shooting in the midst of an attach, perhaps the system should ban victims of domestic violence from being armed [rofl]

This will really send the Leftists over the edge if the Court rules against them. It's obviously illegal to prohibit a citizen from owning a firearm without being convicted of a crime. Since we live in the People's Republic, we know it's SOP in Ma. for a women's lawyer to seek a restraining order against a man as soon as she files for divorce. As I've stated before I know a few men who's ex-wives continued to torment them with DRO's.
I know someone who this happened to. They had split custody of their child. FF about 3 months after the divorce was settled. Mr. Disarmed was still bitter about the order, so one Friday afternoon he was supposed to pick their kid up from whatever handoff agency they used and he didn't show up. This was a problem as she and her new fiancé were due to leave for a 2 week vacation in Europe within the hour. The woman's mother was out of town and she had no one to hand their daughter off to. So.. no one went to Europe that day. It wasn't smart of him though, because 3 days later she got a few cars in front of him on the highway (she knew his commuting route for work) and call MSP frantic that he was following her and going to hurt her. Well, you can guess how that ended for him....

True violent abusers shouldn't have guns, true, but who can trust 1/2 of accusers and/or red flag claims?
This! Having had a restraining order against me in the past I can tell you that as long as the woman is willing to make allegations in court, she will almost always get the restraining order even if there isn’t one iota of proof. Even with texts from my wife begging me to call off our divorce the day after the order was issued, the only route I had to end this madness was to call off the divorce and move back in with her! In my case it ended up being the right call because we have been together 29 years now, but I know so many men who have been subjected to this very low bar of proof. It isn’t even a preponderance of the evidence! If she says you are violent or threatened her, the restraining order is being approved in almost every case I know of.

I've told this story before, Vinnie worked at Digital and lived in Concord his whole life. He, wife and kid lived in his parents house he inherited and he belonged to Concord Rod and gun club and was a big trap/skeet shooter. Got sick of wife and moved out and filed for divorce. Wife was very bitter and one night called him and asked him to come over and babysit while she went out shopping. She drove down the street and called cops and told them Vinnie was in the house with kid and his was acting strange and suicidal. Vinnie told me he was sitting on couch with son watching Bruins game and hears someone outside yelling for him to come out with his hands up. Vinnie knew the Chief and every cop in Concord so he looks outside and there's 3 cruisers with a cop yelling thru a bullhorn. He walks to door and opens it and askes the cops WTF is going on. They tell him to come out and they cuff and stuff him, wife pulls up in car and runs inside. They bring him to station and tell him what's going on and they tell him what wife did/said. They finally release him but she files RO and he has to get rid of all guns. She eventually moved to Maine and would refile RO every time it expired just to f*** him over. He spent thousands of dollars on Attorney's and judges kept granting bitch renewals. This was in mid 90's and he was working a 2nd job just to pay lawyers fees.

Back
Top Bottom