• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Suitable calibers for Bear Hunting?

Just a quick question to you all. I was recently invited on a week long bear hunt in Canada. I'm not sure I'll be going, but one question that might help me make up my mind is the gun selection. I have only one high powered rifle as of right now. My deer rifle is a 'sporterized' 8mm Mauser that my granddad gave me when I was 11 (he got it during the war and had a friend that owed him money convert it).

Is this caliber suitable for bear? If not, then what is?

Thanks in advance.

Brown or black bear? Not sure if there are any brown's in Canada but if there are you might consider a back up handgun as well. If it's legal to do so in Canada.

Black bear; 8mm will work fine (hunting ammo or handloads, NOT military ammo!).
Brown bear or Grizzly; think 35 Whelen & up

Should be OK for black bear. If you plan to shoot a brown bear with it I agree with the backup handgun suggestion (you can use it on yourself when the bear gets mad and decides to settle things).

Unfortunately the only handgun I own is a 9mm, which isn't much against the bear (better than nothing!). The legalities of bringing a handgun into Canada are unknown to me. That might be tough.

I don't use military in my rifle. I used to hand load, but not anymore (lost access to hand loading equipement). I'd be using relatively heavy spritzer bullets (Federal, I think).

Thanks for all the input.

9 mm ain't even good for people.
Are you hunting with Dogs and treeing the Bear? If so a larger calibar Handgun would be better.
If you are Open Range Hunting, if the 8mm ain't big enough, the Pissed off Bear will let you know. I would take Nothing Less than an .308. That is my Opinion.

9 mm ain't even good for people.
Are you hunting with Dogs and treeing the Bear? If so a larger calibar Handgun would be better.
If you are Open Range Hunting, if the 8mm ain't big enough, the Pissed off Bear will let you know. I would take Nothing Less than an .308. That is my Opinion.

I'd say the 8mm might do it, but I'm no expert. Otherwise, .444 Marlin is good, .45-70, 350 Rem, 300 Rem Magnum, 35 Whelen, 35 Rem, you get the idea. Don't forget the new short magnums, the Weatherbys, the .338, .450 Ruger, ... ;-) How about 12 gauge with slugs?

Isn't 8mm bigger than .308?

Edit: For that matter, see if your host can arrange a rifle for you. It would greatly simplify border crossing, and take the guesswork out of rifle selection. Just make sure to also arrange some practice time first.

Last edited:
30-06 REM 180-220 grain min.

with back up revolver starting with no less than the number .4
anything less: carry some stones to throw at him.

You can't just show up at the border with your rifle and expect a warm welcome.
Permits/licences are now required to bring any gun into Canada.
It might be simpler to borrow a rifle from your host, if possible.

Coyote
Isn't 8mm bigger than .308?

.308 is 7.62mm, I have no idea about the 8mm length, amount of powder, twist of the barrel, chamber pressure etc etc etc. The Diameter of the projectile is only a part of the picture. Everyone knows the .308. It the poof! behind it the projectile that counts.
Hopefully you didn't take it as I was saying .308 was larger, I said I would go with a .308 as a minium. If he feels his 8mm is equal to a .308 in knock down power. He be fine..... I would aim for the head and would want a round that would penetrate the head and not splatter or bounce off. Bears have been known to have THICK Heads and when they get pissed at you.. THEY EAT YOU.[laugh]
Black Bears very rarely attack a human, Browns, Polar, Grizzlies and Kodiacs will attack and to them you are just another food source. My comment above is in reference to Treadwell and his fate. The last sentence was meant as humor and as a wise crack not to bring a Knife to a gun fight.

Last edited:
An 8mm Mauser can drive a 200 Grain bullet to about the same velocity
as a 30-06. Remember that in Canada the standard bear and moose
rifle was an Enfield in .303. That 8mm should do great, and you are
already familiar with it.

F

According to the Speer reloading manual, there are a number of 8mm Mauser actions in circulation that can't stand higher pressures. As a result, the SAAMI pressure limit is a modest 37,000 and factory ammo has only marginally better performance than the .30-.30 Winchester. In spite of the fact that the 30-30 may well have killed more black bears than any other cartridge I doubt it that it would be the first choice of many today as a bear cartridge.

It sounds like your Mauser action is not one of the weaker ones, and if that's the case you can handload to give yourself much higher velocity and energy, and also a much greater selection of bullets. You mentioned earlier, I believe, that you did roll your own at one time so, while it's hardly worth getting your own equipment to load for a single hunting trip it might make sense to find a friend who's already set up and (if necessary) just get a set of dies.

Dick

Thanks for the input, I don't know enough about Mausers to sink a thimble, but when he said it was passed down to him, I knew it was old and probably wouldn't handle the new ammo.

Last edited:
That 8mm with a good soft nose bullet will be perfect for black bear. I have shot three bears so far with handguns. Two with a 45-70 TC Contender and one with a .375 Win TC Contender. They didn't go far.

Keep in mind that you will have to register your rifle with the National Firearms Center from Canada. It will cost you 50 bucks and you can take up to five long arms.

Forget about bringing a handgun to Canada. It is like England in that regard. Their own people can't even hunt with a handgun never mind a non resident. Handgun permits are as rare as hen's teeth in Canada. VIP's and job related( some guides can have one as survival equipment).

Back
Top Bottom