Suggestions on first pistol caliber SBR

After some serious thought, I decided I want an SBR. I also decided I want to go pistol caliber rather than rifle. That's where I hit a wall. What to buy/build?

As of now I have it narrowed down to 2 options: a Kriss Vector in .45ACP or a MP5/SP89 style in 9mm.

For the MP5/SP89, should I go for the real thing at ~$4-5K or buy a pre-made SBR from someone like Coharie Arms?

For the Kriss would the 13 round mag capacity, the overall weight of the .45 plus the cost of the ammo be a deterrent? I already own the rifle version, so I could buy the SBR lower for a reasonable price from the factory.

Is there another platform anyone would recommend looking at? Anyone have any experience with the ones I have mentioned? Thanks.

I have a Coharie MP5K clone that is SBR'd. Great gun but I did have some issues with it at first. The bolt and trigger pack that it came with were pure crap ... the extractor hardly funtioned and the trigger would rarely reset on it's own. Luckily they are 100% compatible with real HK's so I could replace the parts pretty easily and now it works great.

I was looking at getting a Kriss Vector SBR but there isn't any way to get one cheaply in Mass without violating your warranty. Four Seasons is the only dealer in MA and they don't have a SOT so they can't sell you a SBR'd version.

I have a Coharie MP5K clone that is SBR'd. Great gun but I did have some issues with it at first. The bolt and trigger pack that it came with were pure crap ... the extractor hardly funtioned and the trigger would rarely reset on it's own. Luckily they are 100% compatible with real HK's so I could replace the parts pretty easily and now it works great.

I was looking at getting a Kriss Vector SBR but there isn't any way to get one cheaply in Mass without violating your warranty. Four Seasons is the only dealer in MA and they don't have a SOT so they can't sell you a SBR'd version.

Thanks for the info. So after replacing parts for the Coharie, are you anywhere near what it would cost for an off-the-shelf SP89? I have no idea how much the bolts/trigger packs are for an HK, but I'm sure they are not cheap. Does Coharie not warranty their parts?

Also, I believe you could order the Kriss SBR direct from them and have it sent it to another dealer in MA. I find it hard to believe they would turn down the direct sale. The arrangement they have with 4S is nonsense.

if it were me... I'd probably push for a mod A uzi sbr. Parts are plentiful and cheap. And mine is absolutely 100% reliable.
Or for an alternative a ps90 sbr is a real lot of fun.

if it were me... I'd probably push for a mod A uzi sbr. Parts are plentiful and cheap. And mine is absolutely 100% reliable.
Or for an alternative a ps90 sbr is a real lot of fun.

I'm not an Uzi fan. They just don't feel right in my hand. I think the MP5-style is the way I would go for a 9mm.

A PS90 would be great if it wasn't for the fact that no pre-ban mags exist for it. I would have bought a PS90 rifle by now if it wasn't for the crappy 10-round limitation.

Thanks for the info. So after replacing parts for the Coharie, are you anywhere near what it would cost for an off-the-shelf SP89? I have no idea how much the bolts/trigger packs are for an HK, but I'm sure they are not cheap. Does Coharie not warranty their parts?

HK parts are all over the place if you look around, really shouldn't have trouble finding them...If your Coharie didn't work "out of the box" and you couldn't "tweek" it youself, chopped real HK parts kits ussually hover at $1000, so even if you replaced every single part you'd probably still be under the cost of a real HK sp89 or 94...

As far as 9mm SBR's there are two "factory" guns that instantly jump into my head as "needing" to be SBR'd, the above mentioned SP89 and mini Uzi's. both are sweet little SBR's...infact the only semi i ever regret selling was my mini uzi...

Also, I believe you could order the Kriss SBR direct from them and have it sent it to another dealer in MA. I find it hard to believe they would turn down the direct sale. The arrangement they have with 4S is nonsense.

I am nowhere near the cost of a SP89 with the parts I replaced. Coharie has a warranty and AFAIK they are pretty good now with getting their stuff fixed. But for the cost of shipping and all the waiting I had more fun troubleshooting and fixing it myself :)

Also the rep I spoke to says the won't ship a SBR Kriss Super-V to a non-dealer. Maybe he was mistaken but this is the info I got. The best option he would give me is to buy the rifle and ship it back to them to have it SBR'd. However they charge an arm and a leg for this.

Back
Top Bottom