SU16C MA Legality

Holy cow...

I'll ask that FFL that told me they have them on backorder if they'll transfer one.

Steve

Bah you answered before my edit, they are more different than I realized. Unfortunatly the AG specifically enumerates that a weapon is a copy if the mag well and one other item (in this case the extractor) are similar. AFAIK the SU takes ar mags, and the extractor is interchangeable between the two firearms.

The AG's "tests" are COMPLETE bullsh*t. With language like "substantially similar" and “Such operating components may include, but are not limited to”, gun owners need to simply stop complying. Period.

We’re the innocents, she’s the criminal. That’s it!

gun owners need to simply stop complying. Period.

We’re the innocents, she’s the criminal. That’s it!

I cant afford to stop complying and get caught, I have a pretty tight budget and don't keep extra money around for lawyer and court fees. I think the test is absolutely unenforceable (how the hell is she going to know the SU is "Substantially similar"? She's going to have to do her own research on that first, and then get the personally identifiable info from the registration system.

She'd charge anyone for anything she could when it comes to guns...

Having said that, if it's faaar in the penumbra of her extremely vague interpretation (which is miles beyond an interpretation) and a local FFL will transfer it, I'll buy it. I think we need to carry on with business as usual.

Steve

Apparently not though:

Those two morons from Salem were found with a apparently loaded AR in the back seat, but according to media reports were not charged with possession of an assault weapon.

Holy crap there is a ton of tinfoil in this thread! Op if you find(found) an FFL that will sell it to you, grab it. Everyone has there own tolerance level, but I WILL not get caught up in the "what if" games. If I want it, I will buy it - period!

Roger that! Now I just need to find one.

Steve

Holy crap there is a ton of tinfoil in this thread! Op if you find(found) an FFL that will sell it to you, grab it. Everyone has there own tolerance level, but I WILL not get caught up in the "what if" games. If I want it, I will buy it - period!

And please.... Stop posting who is selling potentially banned items. Nobody knows WTF is legal anymore so lets not needlessly get anyone jammed up or get even more items added to the list.

And please.... Stop posting who is selling potentially banned items. Nobody knows WTF is legal anymore so lets not needlessly get anyone jammed up or get even more items added to the list.

Yeah, the only adjective I used was "local". Could mean anything since I live in Brookline and there's nobody that's actually local. [smile]

Steve

It would be rare for a 223/5.56 rifle to NOT be compatible with an AR style extractor

Maura said:
[h=3]Guidance:[/h]A weapon is a Copy or Duplicate and is therefore a prohibited Assault weapon if it meets one or both of the following tests and is 1) a semiautomatic rifle or handgun that was manufactured or subsequently configured with an ability to accept a detachable magazine, or 2) a semiautomatic shotgun.[SUP]3[/SUP]

1. Similarity Test: A weapon is a Copy or Duplicate if its internal functional components are substantially similar in construction and configuration to those of an Enumerated Weapon. Under this test, a weapon is a Copy or Duplicate, for example, if the operating system and firing mechanism of the weapon are based on or otherwise substantially similar to one of the Enumerated Weapons.
  2. Interchangeability Test: A weapon is a Copy or Duplicate if it has a receiver that is the same as or interchangeable with the receiver of an Enumerated Weapon. A receiver will be treated as the same as or interchangeable with the receiver on an Enumerated Weapon if it includes or accepts two or more operating components that are the same as or interchangeable with those of an Enumerated Weapon. Such operating components may include, but are not limited to: 1) the trigger assembly; 2) the bolt carrier or bolt carrier group; 3) the charging handle; 4) the extractor or extractor assembly; or 5) the magazine port.
If a weapon meets one of the above tests, it is a Copy or Duplicate (and therefore a prohibited Assault weapon), even if it is marketed as “state compliant” or “Massachusetts compliant.”
AR-15 Extractors and extractor spring inserts will fit and work in the SU-16 bolt, so I guess that makes all SU-16 models verboten in MA, at least until the rules change again.

Last edited:
AR-15 Extractors and extractor spring inserts will fit and work in the SU-16 bolt, so I guess that makes it verboten in MA, at least until the rules change again.

Which is honestly, to me, the most odd part of the whole guidance. Why the hell does the extractor of all things matter? That's such a ridiculous stretch.

I think I found my new car rifle. I need to double-check but looks like it's Connecticut legal with pinned stock. I guess folded will be my cup of tea.

Last edited:
I think I found my new car rifle. I need to double-check but looks like it's Connecticut legal with pinned stock. I guess folded will be my cup of tea.

Check out the SU16 CA. It has the stock of the A model. It can still fold up, but can't be fired in folded configuration. It also has space to store 2 10rd mags or 1 30rd mag in the stock. Other than the stock, it's identical to the C, which has some improved features over the A and the B. (Reinforced front sight, thicker barrel, threaded muzzle, etc.)

Last edited:
AR-15 Extractors and extractor spring inserts will fit and work in the SU-16 bolt, so I guess that makes all SU-16 models verboten in MA, at least until the rules change again.

Yeah, this is so frustrating... I'm thinking that I'll just buy an Mini 14 and hold off on the SU16 until all this crap gets cleared up.

Which is honestly, to me, the most odd part of the whole guidance. Why the hell does the extractor of all things matter? That's such a ridiculous stretch.

Well, the reason becomes very obvious if you look at the interpretation in the context of her agenda.

Lovely. So if I walk down to my nearest Ace Hardware and get a bag of springs and dowel pins, I have a bag of assault weapon parts? Awesome.

The guidance is purposefully vague so she can have her henchmen harass and jam up anyone for anything, confiscate, offer you a deal to avoid felony prosecution and go on her merry way. The legal costs and risk to get your possessions back and fight the risk of imprisonment would surely exceed the cost of your guns to the point where you would take the deal.

I just confirmed that my FFL will transfer the SU16 as long as it is MA compliant.

Vetted members feel free to PM me if needed.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom