Stupid Shotgun Question...

Just got a Remington 1100...it doesn't appear to have any choke in it (I looked down the barrel, there doesn't appear to be anything screwed in the top of it). I didn't receive any chokes with the gun. My question is (keep in mind, I have NO shotgun experience lol) do I have to have a choke in it to shoot it? could I shoot slugs out of it w/o a choke? Is there a cheap place to get chokes?

Scully,
The choke is a constriction in the bore at the muzzle of the gun.
Replacable screw-in chokes are a relatively new developement.
In the old days, the choke was machined into the bore when it was made.
Many shotguns are still done this way, with a single fixed choke.
The barrel should be marked near the breech end with the choke and gauge for the bore.
Look for "Full", "Mod", 'Imp", or "Skeet" stamped on the barrel.
It is possible, but expensive to have removeable chokes fitted to the barrel.
Probably better to buy a new one ready to go.

Yes, you can shoot slugs out of an unchoked barrel with no problem.
A Skeet or Imp(roved) choke shoud be OK too.
No to Full or extra full chokes and I'm really not sure about Mod(ified).

The best thing is to find out what the choke is on your barrel and check with the barrel maker for guidance.

You did good, the 1100 is a great shotgun and will give you many years of reliable service.

Jack

Ok, I checked the barrel and it says ".12 ga for 2 3/4 shells" and farther down it says "Mod." does that mean I have a barrel with a modified choke?

Also, it came with another barrel in a box that says "1100 12/21 RS Deer BBL/Imp. Cyl." is that in fact a combo deer barrel and choked barrel?

Ok, I checked the barrel and it says ".12 ga for 2 3/4 shells" and farther down it says "Mod." does that mean I have a barrel with a modified choke?

i would not shoot slugs out of that, but sounds like you have a good gun for upland birds. I have a stoeger (not sure model) side by side, one barrell with improved and the other modified (both removable chokes). You can peg grouse at like 50+ yards with it easy.

I'm not sure what would happen if you shot slugs, but i feel like it might be too much pressure.

Yes to both.

Looks like you have a Modified barrel, and a slug barrel with an improved choke. You can use rifled slugs with the slug barrel. Does this barrel have rifle sights on it?

Sabots are designed for rifled barrels and are not recommended for smooth bore barrels.

Yes to both.

Looks like you have a Modified barrel, and a slug barrel with an improved choke. You can use rifled slugs with the slug barrel. Does this barrel have rifle sights on it?

Sabots are designed for rifled barrels and are not recommended for smooth bore barrels.

Yes the slug barrel has rifle sights on it, would it also function as a standard shotgun barrel with an improved cylinder choke if I were to fire buckshot out of it?

i would not shoot slugs out of that, but sounds like you have a good gun for upland birds. I have a stoeger (not sure model) side by side, one barrell with improved and the other modified (both removable chokes). You can peg grouse at like 50+ yards with it easy.

I'm not sure what would happen if you shot slugs, but i feel like it might be too much pressure.

Awesome, upland hunting is one of my goals. Hopefully one of these barrels will work for duck and maybe skeet or trap...

Your mod barrel will work great for upland or waterfowl.

Steel and tungsten-iron shot behaves very differently than lead through a choke. Because of its lack of malleability, pellets made of that material deform less as they are forced down the bore and through the choke and thus pattern more tighly than the same charge of lead shot. So the rule of thumb is to assume your choke will behave like one choke tighter when shooting steel through it.

Your mod barrel will work great for upland or waterfowl.

Steel and tungsten-iron shot behaves very differently than lead through a choke. Because of its lack of malleability, pellets made of that material deform less as they are forced down the bore and through the choke and thus pattern more tighly than the same charge of lead shot. So the rule of thumb is to assume your choke will behave like one choke tighter when shooting steel through it.

Awesome, thanks! Would it work for Skeet and Trap, or would I have to buy another barrel and a skeet tube?

A modified barrel will be just fine for sporting clays and trap, and a little tight for skeet but at this point that is immaterial. However, Remington shotgun barrels are not expensive, so buying a skeet choked barrel or one with Remchokes (Remington's interchangeable choke pattern) is easy on the wallet should you be so inclined.

Remingtons are my favorite shotguns, hands down, and I have owned much more expensive European stuff. My 11-87 is my clays gun and my 870 is my duck gun.

Back
Top Bottom