• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stupid MIRCS

Just registered an AR lower and the MIRCS system won't load the pdf file for me print/save.

Anyone else have this happen to them? I haven't quit the main screen yet. I'm hoping if its a system glitch it might clear up and load at some point.

windows 7, chrome. I successfully printed one a couple weeks ago. tried pasting the URL into another browser and same results.....new page opens, but no pdf loads.

I have had that happen too. I think I found out that it had to do with not having fully updated Adobe Acrobat or something. I printed off the sheet with the transaction number and such.

I have had that happen too. I think I found out that it had to do with not having fully updated Adobe Acrobat or something. I printed off the sheet with the transaction number and such.

I just saved a pdf of the main screen that lists the transaction number. Better than nothing I guess. The MIRCS help menu that if you did not print at time of transaction, the only way to get a copy is to fill out the "request for personal search" form. This will then give a list of all activity using your license.

I've had PDFs fail to load properly in the past. I made note of transaction ID, and as mine were personal sales, I made a bill of sale as well.

Why are you registering a lower receiver? If it's not built into a rifle it does not require registration.

Typically I wouldn't bother until it was built, but I want to apply for a SBR tax stamp using this lower. I wasn't sure if it would be a good idea to submit SBR paperwork on a lower that's not in my name at that time.

Typically I wouldn't bother until it was built, but I want to apply for a SBR tax stamp using this lower. I wasn't sure if it would be a good idea to submit SBR paperwork on a lower that's not in my name at that time.

SBR paperwork has nothing to do with the state's registration BS. Nothing.

-Mike

Good to know. Thanks Mike.

This is my only preban lower, so I know I won't be selling it. I'm not worried that I registered it "early"

So what did you put for barrel length? I wonder what happens if you FA-10 a rifle with a barrel length < 16".

So what did you put for barrel length? I wonder what happens if you FA-10 a rifle with a barrel length < 16".

The state doesn't care, the computer gobbles up whatever you feed it. You could build a gun manufactured by CLOWN SHOES INTERNATIONAL and it would accept it.

-Mike

ughhhhh a "preban" lower. how much did you pay for that, dude? before we begin, IANAL and there is no case law to back this up, but here are the facts in black and white.

let's check the MGLs...

“Assault weapon”, shall have the same meaning as a semiautomatic assault weapon as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(30) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994, and shall include, but not be limited to, any of the weapons, or copies or duplicates of the weapons, of any caliber, known as: (i) Avtomat Kalashnikov (AK) (all models); (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; (iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70); (iv) Colt AR-15; (v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR and FNC; (vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9 and M-12; (vi) Steyr AUG; (vii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and (viii) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as, or similar to, the Street Sweeper and Striker 12; provided, however, that the term assault weapon shall not include: (i) any of the weapons, or replicas or duplicates of such weapons, specified in appendix A to 18 U.S.C. section 922 as appearing in such appendix on September 13, 1994, as such weapons were manufactured on October 1, 1993; (ii) any weapon that is operated by manual bolt, pump, lever or slide action; (iii) any weapon that has been rendered permanently inoperable or otherwise rendered permanently unable to be designated a semiautomatic assault weapon; (iv) any weapon that was manufactured prior to the year 1899; (v) any weapon that is an antique or relic, theatrical prop or other weapon that is not capable of firing a projectile and which is not intended for use as a functional weapon and cannot be readily modified through a combination of available parts into an operable assault weapon; (vi) any semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition; or (vii) any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine.

in hr4296: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/103/hr4296/text

..."rifle" is not defined. however, in the MGLs it is.

a short-barreled rifle does not meet he legal definition of a "rifle" in massachusetts. it is a title II firearm, and the legal definition for the item is a short-barreled rifle. MA has this to say about "rifles":

“Rifle”, a weapon having a rifled bore with a barrel length equal to or greater than 16 inches and capable of discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger.

well hello there, greater than or equal? isn't a SBR 16" or LESS? why yes, yes it is.

Short-barreled rifles (SBRs)—this category includes any firearm with a buttstock and either a rifled barrel under 16" long or an overall length under 26". The overall length is measured with any folding or collapsing stocks in the extended position. The category also includes firearms which came from the factory with a buttstock that was later removed by a third party.

tl;dr: the "preban" lower was a stupid money-spending move.

aolsf6.gif

did I over pay, sure. I paid a couple hundred dollar premium for a "pre-ban" lower. No biggie.

What was point of all the info you posted? Are you saying once an AR-15 is SBR'd it is no longer a rifle and therefore I could put whatever accessories I want on it, even in the state of MA?

My original intent for the lower was to simply have some sort of adjustable stock. Then I started looking into AR pistols which seem to be impractical in MA....so I figured a preban/SBR might be the next best thing....

did I over pay, sure. I paid a couple hundred dollar premium for a "pre-ban" lower. No biggie.

What was point of all the info you posted? Are you saying once an AR-15 is SBR'd it is no longer a rifle and therefore I could put whatever accessories I want on it, even in the state of MA?

My original intent for the lower was to simply have some sort of adjustable stock. Then I started looking into AR pistols which seem to be impractical in MA....so I figured a preban/SBR might be the next best thing....

yes. the MA AWB in theory here does not apply to a SBR as it does not meet the legal definition of a rifle.

sooooo this brings me to my next point, if you have all this extra cash to toss around, i've got some credit cards which would appreciate a few bucks on 'em.

...if it helps the debt is all pre-ban.

hmm, that's an interesting way to look at it. I see what you're saying, not sure I'd want to bet my license on it though. I'd be curious to see what others think of this.

i personally was going to build my SBR however i wanted, but then i moved. it would have been the exact configuration it is now with a magpul CTR stock and six position tube, LMT 10.5" upper complete with AAC flash hider and a bayonet lug.

i know people sit on each side of the fence with regard to their own personal comfort / fear of the state.

and if you're looking for an AR pistol? good luck unless you can find a legitimate pre-ban pistol, otherwise you have the 50oz requirement among the rest of the AWB BS to contend with.

Could a reason to use a preban lower for an sbr be that if you wanted to strap on a 16"+ barrelled upper would have no AWB potential conflicts?

What is this registering you speak of?

Basically an electronic FA-10 form. It's used for face to face private sales or if you "build" a firearm yourself. Typically AFTER the firearm is built you visit the site, enter the make/model/serial, etc. and register it to your name.

Basically an electronic FA-10 form. It's used for face to face private sales or if you "build" a firearm yourself. Typically AFTER the firearm is built you visit the site, enter the make/model/serial, etc. and register it to your name.

I was being sarcastic [wink]

Think he was being sarcastic

Back
Top Bottom