Student allegedly says he's gonna shoot up school, relatives gun get taken for safe k

The firearms belonging to my wife and I would be headed back to Alabama that very moment. If they want to declare me "unsuitable", they can take the license and use it for a butt plug!

Funny that you think you'll get that choice. They'll show up at your house with the revocation and take the firearms right then. You won't have a chance to send them anywhere. And before you say you won't let them in. They know you have firearms, when you refuse to turn them in they'll call that probable cause to search, or they'll just hold you there until they get a warrant. And you can bet that anything they see, while searching for something as small as a bullet, that might be unlawful is far game for more charges.

And when you applied for your LTC did you provide references? The law doesn't require them but they are on the form as "optional". Did you meekly comply or did you take a stand?

What world are you living in?

Given the circumstances (no other criminal charges involved), they may or may not decide to press charges, but at the very least chances are they
won't be getting their shit back and possibly having their LTC yanked for being an unsuitable person.

All depends on the mentality of the PD and the LEOs involved. A metric shit ton don't care or dont give a shit, or don't even want to be embroiled in that, particularly when dealing with someone who isn't otherwise a real public safety problem. Then theres a bunch of other dudley dooright anti gun, LTC holder hating type rejects, that take great pleasure in overanalyzing anything that you've surrendered. The responses in MA range from "sign here, get your gun and contraband back in a box, we dont care" to "woah hoa kehd you got 10 felonies, you probably were aware of 3 but we invented 7 more that you didn't know existed. Have fun with that. "

-Mike

Funny that you think you'll get that choice. They'll show up at your house with the revocation and take the firearms right then. You won't have a chance to send them anywhere. And before you say you won't let them in. They know you have firearms, when you refuse to turn them in they'll call that probable cause to search, or they'll just hold you there until they get a warrant.

Depends on the context of the incident in question. Also this isn't hollywood in most cases they're probably not going to get a warrant in 5 minutes.

Also, they can't have "PC to search" simply because you refuse entry upon lack of a warrant. That would defeat the entire purpose of having warrants/due process to begin with. They can revoke his LTC- but merely having a revoked LTC doesn't automatically waive all of his 4th amendment protections.

If he's smart- there are also ways you can hedge against administrative gun rights issues in MA, if you order property somewhere else.. the key first part of which, is keeping most of your shit outside of MA. If I was a dual, I'd keep 90% of my guns outside of this state, there's no need to expose it to tyrants here.

-Mike

Last edited:
Lock the kid up until a dangerousness hearing can be held. Why take someone else who is not involved guns away. If they kid is taken out of circulation it solves the potential threat.
He must be a smart kid, graduating at 16

In a small way I understand the police,are afraid the kid might go Lizzie Borden on his family in the middle of the night.Then get to the guns,and we all know some home lock up is very easy to get threw.
Like stated here the safe thing to do is lock the kid away,but how long can you keep him locked up?

I in no way agree with the relative having to surrender their gun(s). That is just ridiculous. They could section 12 the kid. The family could send him for a psych eval under section 34 (maybe it's 35, not positive). That would give the family member time to perhaps move the gun to a friend's house or somewhere else safe (not that he should have to, but it's an option). And if they didn't revoke the guys LTC, what's stopping him from just going to a gun store and getting another gun? I mean, with a valid LTC the guy could go buy 100 guns if he has the money. The surrender of firearms in this scenario is just stupid. The kid is the problem.

Being a cop, if I personally had to deal with that situation I would take the kid to the Looney bin and then ASK the family member if I can take a look at his safe, and the sole purpose for that would be to recommend something better if he just has it locked up in one that is easy to break open. Hopefully he could secure his tools better before the kid gets let out of the hospital. If the kid poses a threat to himself or others he should, without question, be at least off the streets until he has a psych eval, up to 72 hours later.

I in no way agree with the relative having to surrender their gun(s). That is just ridiculous. They could section 12 the kid. The family could send him for a psych eval under section 34 (maybe it's 35, not positive). That would give the family member time to perhaps move the gun to a friend's house or somewhere else safe (not that he should have to, but it's an option). And if they didn't revoke the guys LTC, what's stopping him from just going to a gun store and getting another gun? I mean, with a valid LTC the guy could go buy 100 guns if he has the money. The surrender of firearms in this scenario is just stupid. The kid is the problem.

Being a cop, if I personally had to deal with that situation I would take the kid to the Looney bin and then ASK the family member if I can take a look at his safe, and the sole purpose for that would be to recommend something better if he just has it locked up in one that is easy to break open. Hopefully he could secure his tools better before the kid gets let out of the hospital. If the kid poses a threat to himself or others he should, without question, be at least off the streets until he has a psych eval, up to 72 hours later.

This-

The kopsch should have put the ****ing kid in a looney bin instead of going and stealing peoples guns. Of course its not PC anymore to put junior in a looney bin, so we end up with this shit... where kopsch are running around taking sharp objects from people who said they were going to stab someone, instead of just looking up the person who said they were going to stab someone.

-Mike

What a load of horse shit. By law, the firearm is locked up so that unauthorized users can't gain access. Does the commonwealth not trust its own laws? /sarcasm

Don't give them any ideas. Next thing you know everyone is going to have to bury their safe in a remote location, eat the map, and have a ninja unicorn within 25 yards of the secret burial site at all times. Licensing fee for ninja unicorn is $10,000. You must provide your own unicorn. The state offers the ninja training, but it is very expensive and there is a 2yr waiting list.

Seriously..... The problem is the kid, not the gun. Pretty sure that Somalian dude at Ohio State dealt some pretty serious damage with a car and a blade. The problem is crazy.... Good thing the liberals shut down a bunch of psych hospitals.

In a small way I understand the police,are afraid the kid might go Lizzie Borden on his family in the middle of the night.Then get to the guns,and we all know some home lock up is very easy to get threw.
Like stated here the safe thing to do is lock the kid away,but how long can you keep him locked up?

In a small way you agree that lacking a way to formally charge someone for a crime not commited threat and intimidation is a suitable solution. Now if it was a car being used as the threat would that be impounded? Golf clap sir. That is just awesome...

Funny that you think you'll get that choice. They'll show up at your house with the revocation and take the firearms right then. You won't have a chance to send them anywhere. And before you say you won't let them in. They know you have firearms, when you refuse to turn them in they'll call that probable cause to search, or they'll just hold you there until they get a warrant. And you can bet that anything they see, while searching for something as small as a bullet, that might be unlawful is far game for more charges.

And when you applied for your LTC did you provide references? The law doesn't require them but they are on the form as "optional". Did you meekly comply or did you take a stand?

What world are you living in?
If they break in with no warrant, that is home invasion and I would act appropriately. Head shots, anyone?

If he said he was going to run over people at his school with a car, would they have confiscated all the vehicles owned by his family? What if they did, this would cause a whole different general objection, but because it's a gun it's OK. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! It's because the nut job in CT took his mother's AR and shot up the school. This will happen over and over again and it may end up being a normal practice when someone in the family makes a stupid remark or posts something that seems like a threat or is interpreted as a threat. I see more of this happening in future.

Back
Top Bottom