• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Student allegedly says he's gonna shoot up school, relatives gun get taken for safe k

I'm going to take a guess. Older relative like Grandpa or Uncle who willingly turned it over out of fear from the police scaring them. Anyone with more intel? Other guesses?

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

The report said "seized"... This could be sloppy journalism, or more evidence of DRPMA overreach.

If it was indeed seized under threat of LTC revocation, I do hope legal action moves forward. But thinking about this more, the C.O.P. can immediately declare you unsuitable for resisting seizure, and he can take your guns and send you to jail. Immediately.

The question is if Com2a is going to reach out to the family and investigate if this would be a good case.

I'm going to take a guess. Older relative like Grandpa or Uncle who willingly turned it over out of fear from the police scaring them. Anyone with more intel? Other guesses?

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

My very first thought.

The report said "seized"... This could be sloppy journalism, or more evidence of DRPMA overreach.

My very next thought.

If he lives with that relative, from my knowledge of police operations in MA, I would say this was SOP on the PD's part . . . not that I agree with it, just stating that this is how they roll.

If he didn't live with this relative, that is way over the line.

In either case, I don't think a MA marsupial judge would disagree with the police action, not for a second.

And yes, it wouldn't surprise me if the relative was told to either "voluntarily" turn it/them over or they would suspend his LTC in which case failure to turn everything over is a felony charge under C. 269 S. 10.

Suitability let's the PD do anything they want. If you "choose" not to cooperate you become unsuitable. It's why someone would turn in their gun when there isn't a reason, it's why people meakly submit to extra licensing requirements. It hangs over the head of every MA gun owner. Comply or be found unsuitable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

What Chapter law covers confiscation for safe keeping? Holey Ch+t

Sir. I'm not going to ask you again sir. Do you want your grandson to shoot up a school, sir? And then you'll be responsible. We are taking the firearm for safekeeping, sir. Whadamgonnadonow is take the firearmok?

If a relative is going to shoot up a school - you are going to keep them locked up right? No, then it's all on you - have a nice day.

"My firearms are locked up according to Mass law and he does not have access to them. Good day officer."

What should have happened anyway.

The question is if Com2a is going to reach out to the family and investigate if this would be a good case.

Problem is nutbag kid issue contaminates things. Having a nutbag or criminal in the mix makes it easy for a court to justify taking a piss on someone.

Problem is nutbag kid issue contaminates things. Having a nutbag or criminal in the mix makes it easy for a court to justify taking a piss on someone.
And it makes it very easy for the newspapers to make COMM2A look bad. "Pro-gun group defends family of kid threatening to shoot up school graduation."

Lt. Dana Flynn said police visited the boy's home and determined a relative owns a properly licensed and secured weapon. Police seized the weapon "for safekeeping" while the investigation continues, Flynn said.

Quoted directly from the article.
Just No.

Lock the kid up until a dangerousness hearing can be held. Why take someone else who is not involved guns away. If they kid is taken out of circulation it solves the potential threat.
He must be a smart kid, graduating at 16

IMNMO it really violates the 4th amendment but INAL , and it's Mass. so I'm sure you'd get jacked up on something anyway and then the whole suitability thing comes into play, Just face it, in Mass. we're all at the whim of a COP's pen.

Last edited:

If it was indeed seized under threat of LTC revocation, I do hope legal action moves forward. But thinking about this more, the C.O.P. can immediately declare you unsuitable for resisting seizure, and he can take your guns and send you to jail. Immediately.

So glad I left Mass. Especially when I read this and realized you're right!

Im assuming its sloppy journalism, police intimidation.
My ltc was revoked, before i even received the paperwork two PD were at my door asking for my LTC and demanding my guns."we know you have them,we know there here and they are just coming to come in and look around for them."i proceeded to laugh in their faces and said not without a warrent. They said theyll just be right back. I said ok and slammed the door...never heard from them again.

Now if i was making violent statements i doubt they wouldn't have jackbooted their way in.
As far as the circumstance of the article if they were in a safe how would the police take them without consent? Force THEIR way into a safe without a warrent? I dont think so.
More than likely the firEarms in question were surrendered.

Last edited:
If he lives with that relative, from my knowledge of police operations in MA, I would say this was SOP on the PD's part . . . not that I agree with it, just stating that this is how they roll.

If he didn't live with this relative, that is way over the line.

In either case, I don't think a MA marsupial judge would disagree with the police action, not for a second.

And yes, it wouldn't surprise me if the relative was told to either "voluntarily" turn it/them over or they would suspend his LTC in which case failure to turn everything over is a felony charge under C. 269 S. 10.

Yet another example for those that say 'who's going to know'... 'how are they going to find out?', when they have a illegally configured post-ban rifle and/or
post-ban magazines in their possession... it's the unexpected, out of the blue things that can get you caught.

Given the circumstances (no other criminal charges involved), they may or may not decide to press charges, but at the very least chances are they
won't be getting their shit back and possibly having their LTC yanked for being an unsuitable person.

Suitability let's the PD do anything they want. If you "choose" not to cooperate you become unsuitable. It's why someone would turn in their gun when there isn't a reason, it's why people meakly submit to extra licensing requirements. It hangs over the head of every MA gun owner. Comply or be found unsuitable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
The firearms belonging to my wife and I would be headed back to Alabama that very moment. If they want to declare me "unsuitable", they can take the license and use it for a butt plug!

Im assuming its sloppy journalism, police intimidation.
My ltc was revoked, before i even received the paperwork two PD where at my door asking for my LTC and demanding my guns."we know you have them,we know there here and they are just coming to come in and look around for them."i proceeded to laugh in their faces and said not without a warrent. They said theyll just be right back. I said ok and slammed the door...never heard from them again.

Now if i was making violent statements i doubt they wouldn't have jackbooted their way in.
As far as the circumstance of the article if they were in a safe how would the police take them without consent? Force THEIR way into a safe without a warrent? I dont think so.
More than likely the firEarms in question were surrendered.
I wonder what happens here when you have firearms at other properties....in other states. Do they drive up with you?

Call local law enforcement would be my guess..its a bad situation to find yourself in.
If you own NFA its a tragic situation to find yourself in.

I wonder what happens here when you have firearms at other properties....in other states. Do they drive up with you?

They do nothing, because they can't do shit, unless they can convince a judge in another state to give a warrant. If it involves a direct felony though and the guns belong to you, or its a 209A/DV RO, its not that hard to get a remote court to bend, happens in NH all the time. Years ago there was a dude on here from NH who had long since left his wife, but some time passed and bam, local NH cops showed up at his door to collect his guns because his wife filed a DV RO against him in MA. . That shit "follows" people easily throughout the system.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom