Striper Fishing

Has anyone else here ever get down to the river below the dam to hunt for big Stripers? I'm talking about the 10-50 lb'ers living in the river filling up on the planted trout. There are some monsters down there but even catching the smaller 10-20 lb'ers is still worth the effort. Striper are good eatin' fish, very similar to Seabass, white meat with a very light taste.

A few of us will be heading out to hunt some of those fatties this weekend and looking forward to a fish fry.

What dam? I used to fish for rockfish aka stripers, white bass, and hybrids below dams in Tennessee. State record is over 65 lbs but there are plenty below the dams up to 25 lbs.

Definitely intrigued.

And it depends on what the locale of this damned river is. South of the Cape? Probably past peak. Well past peak, maybe. Ip-Switch and Berryport??? Probably coming into their own right now. Maine and such??? A little later????

Used to go striper fishing on Plum Island back in the 90's. They are good eating fish...

Not sure which river or what dam you speak of though.

I think the OP's vagueness was by intentional by design. The river below the dam where he and his buds hunt for large stripers is a fantasy.

The Cocheco river in Dover NH below the damn can hold some nice stripers, but not this time of year.

Ive heard of "stocking" a pond with trout, but never planting them in a river below a dam. Something sells "fishy" me thinks.......
In warmer climates the only suitable trout habitat is either rivers fed by big springs or dam tail water that is cold from deeper lake water above the dam. In tail water rivers you had to mind the hydropower generating schedule so that you were not somewhere you'd be fooked when the water rises rapidly.

S.Hadley native here.
There’s definitely good numbers below the dam about a month or two after the ice melts and the CT River is still high. Last I checked the river was between 5-7 feet deep at the fish lift. You’re better off trying down in Springfield.

Back
Top Bottom