Striper Fishing

Hey everyone. So I'm gonna try to get into striper fishing from shore, because doing charters is pretty expensive. I don't know a whole lot about fishing, so I was just wondering what people think I should use for a test, bait/lures, etc. Like I said, I don't know a whole lot about Striper fishing, so any advice/suggestions would be very much appreciated. I was also wondering about places to go. I've heard Castle Island is a good spot, but other than that I'm clueless...
Thanks everyone.

I don't fish Boston Harbor, so I can't help you there. I use a 10 1/2' St. Croix Avid rod, mono, Penn reel. I've had best luck with Storm Shads. I'm not a bait fisherman, so can't help you there.

Mouth of the merrimack river is great, last time i went 2 years ago caught 2 keepers and like 15 others, it was a good day. Used mackeral as bait, also sea worms work good too. Marshfield area is good too and surrounding towns.

There are a few spots on the North and South rivers (Marshfield and Scituate) where you can fish for stripers from shore. I don't fish myself but I see a lot of people fishing from Damons Point. There's also a public park across from Mary's Boat Livery (who can rent you a skiff fairly cheap), although I don't see as many people fishing there. I'm not sure what they are fishing for at the next bridge upriver (Union/Bridge St) but there's an adjacent park that sees a lot of fishermen from the bank.

-Nat

Can use clams, seaworms, chunk bait, live eels, or lures. Plenty of shore fishing on Cape Ann. Bass rocks, Stage fort park, good harbor, long beach, pebble beach. Lots of people fish off the dog bar in the harbor. Can also use plugs and swim baits. Drive along the shore and look for birds working the water and cast out to the action. Best thing to do is go to a bait shop in the area you are planning on fishing. Spend some money and get them to tell you what too do.

Winchesters or Fisherman's outfitters in Gloucester, Fin and Feather in Essex, First Light Anglers in Ipswich, Fishing Finatics in Everett invented the Santini Worm and is your best bet in the Boston area. Also Surfland on Plumb Island.

Live/dead chunk bait, at night, at high tide is a good way to set yourself up for shore fisherman's beginners luck.

You can catch monsters off the shore once you find a few good places.

Hull Gut holds huge fish, just be prepared to deal with current and rocks.

Ive had good luck in the joppa flats section of the merrimack in newburyport, and around the 95 bridge but only been there in a boat but you can shore fish just not sure where the access points are. Mackerels good, I keep thinking squid but it was probably clams I tried once without much luck. If you catch a sturgeon you have to throw it back if it doesnt break your rod [wink]

Since you are from Newton, there are plenty of urban locations for stripers. Herring are in so you can try the mouth of the charles on the drawbridge. Emelia Earnhart locks, Rt 99 bridge. There is also a freshwater striper fishery. Just follow the herring up the river, fish the bottleneck areas and you'll find them (right in your backyard).

There are so many ways to fish for stripers. But if you want to catch stripers you have to consider a few things ie time of year, time of day, weather conditions, and even location. Stripers like any other bass like structure so look for rock piles, jettes, reefs, canyons, ledges and areas where different currents meet. Schoolies and sizes up to mid 30" fish can be found in tidal rivers around this time following shad and herring, and if your lucky you can be around for the cinder worm hatch. Swimming baits such as sluggos, sassy shads, and fin-s minnows produce the best in these areas while plugs will sometimes get good results. As for the bigger fish, they didnt get big by being dumb. They sit at the mouths of rivers, edge of canyons, etc catching baitfish that pass them swept by the tide or current. The go to artificial for these fish while not on a boat would be used on or near the surface such as poppers, plugs, googoo eyes, or other slow swimming plugs. As for bait it would depend on time of day. Durring daytime your best bet would be sandworms or bloodworms and chunk bait. Night time use eels or chunk bait particularly the head, especially with bunker. The eyes glow in the moon light. Any questions just PM me.

I've been out a few times so far this season with no luck yet. There's a tidal river I go to where you can see keepers swimming through but they don't like what's being offered. Bastards.

ETA: I guess they liked what I was offering last night!! 2 keepers, 29" and 34".

Last edited:
I hooked a 32 this past weekend in Lynn Harbor among many others in the 26-30 range using a Rapala

They are headed out into CC bay in which they should hit the North Shore in a week or two. I heard it was Epic last week in the canal. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom