FAB15E4D-DB45-4EED-A368-565C621B9323.jpeg
    457.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 4EE7F626-180B-4D3C-8474-09FBD36617E5.jpeg
    4EE7F626-180B-4D3C-8474-09FBD36617E5.jpeg
    482.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 7197C9F4-7596-4373-A1C1-A4FF1B7BC671.jpeg
    7197C9F4-7596-4373-A1C1-A4FF1B7BC671.jpeg
    543.1 KB · Views: 12
Looks like some sort of drop pouch. What's the three letters, "H&C", "HXC", "H&Co."?

Drop pouches weren't a thing at that time. That was the Era Of Haversacks. It wasn't made at unit level, that seems certain, though what item of equipment it was designed for, I don't know. Could be something having to do with optics or maps or artillery, since it's not made for a belt from what I can see. Looks interwar, maybe mid-late '30s.

No clue, OP. What you need is a US equivalent to Karkeeweb, but if it exists I don't know where it is.

Ok what's a drop pouch ?

I took it to mean dump pouch, which is a very modern idea. Back then, most soldiers had no mags to recover after they changed them because there weren't any box-magazine rifles in our army. The BAR was unique, but I don't think that's a BAR mag pouch.

Dump pouches weren't a thing until GWOT.

Drop pouches didn't exist then

Sure, just saying that's what it looks like - a general pouch for things that wouldn't fit elsewhere, maybe a bread or food bag. Map pouch doesn't seem applicable because those are generally flat and have covers. Nor bino pouch because those are leather and oval-shaped.

Ok what's a drop pouch ?

A pouch one drops spent magazines or other items into.

I think your best bet is figuring out who H&Co. was. Problem obviously is that's a really generic abbreviation.

Sure, just saying that's what it looks like - a general pouch for things that wouldn't fit elsewhere, maybe a bread or food bag. Map pouch doesn't seem applicable because those are generally flat and have covers. Nor bino pouch because those are leather and oval-shaped.

A pouch one drops spent magazines or other items into.

I think your best bet is figuring out who H&Co. was. Problem obviously is that's a really generic abbreviation.

Here's an M1936 musette bag, made for all the incidentals:

1594066025876.png

H&Co is obviously the contractor, which is why I don't think this is unit-level. US militaria isn't my thing, but I'm sure it's known by someone out there. That would probably give you a timeframe, but chances are that company made A LOT of different stuff.

After a bunch of searching it may be Hamel&Co (Lynn Ma. I think).

I doubt it was a map case was because of the heavy duty double strapping, maps do not require that kind of kit. Might be a grenade pouch....but not sure

I think at at that time they were still using the stacked grenade pouches or the grenade pouches that doubled as aid kits.

I wasn't thinking map case. I know what those look like. I was trying to think of things what would be issued on a shoulder strap, like organizational equipment. I don't think it's an outer sight case, say for a mortar sight or artillery compass, something, but it could be anything like that. It's so hard to say.

It's sized sorta like a GP M1 Ammo pouch, but those have buckles.

1594069888824.png

This one's obviously aftermarket.

ETA: Google pics of Thompson subgun mag pouches. They look a lot like yours, though the straps aren't always attached that same way.

Last edited:
1594070204465.png

Eh? Maybe a winner?

That one's a Boyt, but I'm thinking Tommy mag pouch. Is the inside of it sectioned?

Back
Top Bottom