Storing of a Rifle

I think I know the answer to this question, but wanted to get other views:

Is it legal to store my Mauser 1891 rifle unlocked as long as I have the bolt and firing pin removed and locked in my pistol safe? I can always snag a trigger lock, butI figured that since the rifle is effectively disabled, it may meet the letter of the law.

"If not under the your direct control, or under the direct control of some other person with the proper FID or LTC, all guns must be stored in a locked container or equipped with a tamper resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render the gun inoperable by the owner or other lawfully authorized user."

I'm thinking this falls under "other safety device" but I'm not 100%. Any ideas?

When I picked up my lower receiver from FSguns I had to run a cable and lock through it per the law. The Lower Receiver!!!!

Nope, this does NOT meet the law. Even if you strip the gun and put the parts in a vat of solvent . . . if you are not right there (within arms reach) there MUST be a trigger or cable lock on it.

STUPID? Yes, but that is the law as those highly paid wizards on Bacon Hill wrote it!

I posted something about this in the past week or so, so you might find more info here if you do a search. I don't recall which forum or topic.

Thanks for all the replies and info. It's a good thing I've got a cable lock on it, just seemed like locking up the bolt might be easier. Ah well, thanks much!

YogSothoth said:
Thanks for all the replies and info. It's a good thing I've got a cable lock on it, just seemed like locking up the bolt might be easier. Ah well, thanks much!

The laws here are so out of control, it really is like living in communist china. :x

commie.gif

commie.gif

commie.gif

Adam,

Yes, a safe, trigger/gun lock, locked cabinet (could be glass and $0.25 lock), locked closet (but NOT a locked room), locked trunk (of car), locked gun/tool box, etc. are all OK by the law.

I bought cheap plastic and screw/nut trigger locks for whenever I get around to cleaning my C&R rifles. They can soak in solvent legally and if they get ruined a pair of pliers removes the lock and no big deal.

Trigger lock -- OK

Cable lock -- OK

Gun safe -- OK

Removing the bolt and firing pin and storing them elsewhere -- Not OK

(There is an Massachusetts appellate case on this topic dealing with a machinegun that lacked a firing pin)

Back
Top Bottom