Storage of Fire Arms

I think the OP is in NH, and someone correct me if I'm wrong but I dont think it is required to have gun locks or safes for storage. Its only a MA thing ...

Search is your friend: http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51929&highlight=storage

Yes, as you suggest, they need to be locked or in the safe.
As derrick_lui and lord1234 said, I think the OP is talking about NH, not MA.
Just asking what the laws are about storage firearms of in the house
Do they need to be lock or in the safe?
In NH, in your home, as far as I am aware, no, there is no broadly-stated general requirement to lock up firearms - however, you could be held civilly liable (sued) for the consequences of unauthorized access to them, and there is a criminal provision specifically setting forth a duty to prevent unauthorized access by minors: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/lxii/650-c/650-c-mrg.htm (it's short - click and read it).

In a vehicle, it gets a little more complicated.

ObDisc: I am not a NH attorney.

My apologies. You are free to store them as you wish.

As a matter of protecting your investment, I'd suggest a gun safe.

I would do so even if it weren't law in Mass. I'd just feel BETTER about it if it were my choice...

My apologies. You are free to store them as you wish.

As a matter of protecting your investment, I'd suggest a gun safe.

I would do so even if it weren't law in Mass. I'd just feel BETTER about it if it were my choice...

No argument. I too would store my (or at least most of my) firearms in a safe even if I wasn't required to.

In NH you are free to own and store firearms as you see fit. If someone breaks in and steals them they have committed a crime, not you. Most if not all cases of this, your home is not an authorized place for someone not invited to be, and if they break in, you are usually good.

However, if someone invited into your home finds a gun and does something bad with it, you would definitely be found responsible.

Alot of people who dont have guests, and dont have kids, have loaded guns in every room - in drawers, behind headboards, etc.

My personal choice: Locked doors at all times. Some people in NH dont lock their homes at all, and I dont agree with this. An additional locked door to the room with the safe. Locked safe - loaded and ready guns inside (no trigger locks). Only gun in my home that is always accessible is my carry firearm. However, when I am not home, and/or not carrying it - it goes in the safe.

Part of my excessive security is me being cheap - dont steal my $hit and I will save $$. Other part is knowing in my heart I did the best I could to not allow some innocent person be killed by one of my firearms.

Part of my excessive security is me being cheap - dont steal my $hit and I will save $$. Other part is knowing in my heart I did the best I could to not allow some innocent person be killed by one of my firearms.

Its a small price to pay for the protection of your stuff, and yourself! I dont understand people that don't lock their doors at night?! But then again im in MA... where our criminals are just "misguided" theyre not out looking to kill me and take my dollar...

I live in NH and don't even know where my door keys are. They came with the house 25 years ago but I must have thrown them in a drawer somewhere. And car keys are easiest to find if you leave them in the ignition at all times. I do have a gun safe though.

Back
Top Bottom