Stoning and filing

Chuck

NES Member
I had a stovepipe and a failure to extract this weekend with my previously trusty 1911 -- dusty conditions and a lot of dropped mags at an IDPA match. When I field stripped it for cleaning afterwards, I found a burr on the inside of the rail were the stove piped case had been!

What's the proper file or "stone" (what is stoning?!) to clean this up? It's a stainless steel frame so I assume I don't have to treat it after I file down this burr?

thanks!
Chuck

A set of quality jewelers files should do the trick and should be in every gun owners tool kit. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes. A couple of passes with the proper file, maybe followed up with a bit of fine wet/dry sandpaper with a few drops of oil should clean it right up.

Stoning is pretty much the same idea as using a whetstone for sharping knives; used to follow-up after using a courser tool (such as a file), to obtain a much slicker and smoother surface

Brownells sells files and stones specifically designed to cut slide rails, but those are more suited for gunsmiths building a custom 1911 using after market parts.

I have a set of jeweler's files, Chuck, and even some stones that might do the trick. Tonight is iffy, but if you want to come over tomorrow night I'll be home. Let me know.

Why would the case have contacted a rail? Which rail are you talking about? How would a soft brass case damage a hardened steel surface?

I would ask those questions first before I went to remove material. If you are referring to the slide rails then I would leave them well enough alone as long as the slide travels freely. You can check by removing the barrel and recoil spring assembly and then putting the slide on the frame. I would be very surprised if there was any binding.

If he just wants to take a burr down, I'd recommend against the Dremel - it's way too easy to take way too much material off with power tools.

If he just wants to take a burr down, I'd recommend against the Dremel - it's way too easy to take way too much material off with power tools.

Surely you know I was kidding - or are you just warning those less familiar with me?

Or Dremels? [wink]

Ah... I was reading your words and not noticing the smiley. Anyway, it's good words for people to take to heart - power tools are meant to work fast! Which isn't always a good thing...

Back
Top Bottom