Stinky Ass Used Equipment...

Ok, so I just purchaced a used Icom 207 off http://swap.qth.com/ for such short money it was almost like stealing it...

Well, now I understand.

He said that it was from a non smoking home...and from what I can tell, he's right. But, he must have had a lot of pets...because it smelled like my ex-wifes mom's house. And she had a bunch of cats and a couple of dogs...

Anyway, I would like to know if there's a way to clean this up? Is there something that I can put it in to suck up the stink? I really was thinking about soaking it with fabreeze, but just can't help thinking that that's not good for the radio. [wink]

I was thinking that I might just take it apart and see if I can wipe it down with alcohol or something...but wondered if there's any tricks up you guys' sleeves.

Most electronics are not bothered by distilled water. If you take it a part and wipe the inside of the case it will probably due wonders.

Would not trust water (distilled or not) around packaged components that might not be hermetically sealed.... Alcohol should be safe but be sure to let it dry well before firing it up.....

I wouldn't use distilled water...it may be true that distilled water is non-conductive, but I'm not sure how much stuff (say, dirt, dust, fur and tobacco) it would take to make it stop being distilled and start being conductive.

If you use water or alcohol, make sure all power sources are disconnected and that you let it dry THOROUGHLY before turning it on again. Without power, distilled water shouldn't hurt it, but I'd rather not take the chance.

Ya, I have used distilled water to clean out electronics equiptment that fell in salt water. One of these was a Motorola HT. I took it apart and literally water boarded the thing then I used a hair dryer. Then I said a hail Mary and fired it up and it worked.

I'd start with the outsides...

Take the covers off.. wash them in soap and water, or a grease cutter like 409. Then dry completely.

As to the insides... I would be careful here. Sometimes you can use a brush and alcohol or as others said, distilled water, but then dry carefully. But be careful!

Also, if you take the covers off (even if you don't), be careful this time of year of static electricity. One touch and you could damange components. And you may not feel it youself!

Also, if you take the covers off (even if you don't), be careful this time of year of static electricity. One touch and you could damange components. And you may not feel it youself!

Good point...and I don't have a wrist band at home... Maybe I'll just deal with the smell for the next few months and when it warms up and there's more moisture in the air...I'll take it apart.

A tried and true method for removing smoke odor from electronics is dryer sheets. Put them over the air intakes and let the ventilation system go to work. Has worked on the worst of nicotine coated rigs. After a few weeks the smell will be gone. Dont know how it works but I think its the VOCs from the sheets that latch on to the odor particles and destroy them. I am not a chemist though.

If you can get the circuit boards out, and the chassis apart, putting the thing in the dishwasher is an option. Insane? Perhaps, but it's just so crazy it might work...

You'd have to make sure to detach the speaker and LCD display before doing this though.

The drying cycle is pretty thorough in a dishwasher.

THIS IS A HORRIBLE IDEA!!!!!! Guranteed death to the equipment.

Better off just spritzing it with 90% rubbing alcohol and scrubbing it with a paintbrush with a final rinse of more alcohol.

But in my experience the smell never goes away even with cleaning. It gets absorbed by the components and when they get warm they release the odor.

Could always just stick a pine tree air freshner inside the box. ;)

If you can get the circuit boards out, and the chassis apart, putting the thing in the dishwasher is an option. Insane? Perhaps, but it's just so crazy it might work...

You'd have to make sure to detach the speaker and LCD display before doing this though.

The drying cycle is pretty thorough in a dishwasher.

Could always just stick a pine tree air freshner inside the box. ;)

Uggg Pine?

I think this would be more in order...

51PScD%2BeSQL._SS500_.jpg

What's wrong with the good old fashioned 'tuner cleaner'? That stuff has it's own smell but it has to be better than what you've described.

Radio shack should have some. Probably a computer store too. Of course a good electronics store will have it.
If it were me I would go to You Do It in Needham but that's probably out of the way for you.

Now I have only tried this once, I have been told by others they have had good luck with it and the time I tried it it seemed to work well for cigarette smoke. Take the offensive piece of equipment and find an airtight, seal-able freezer bag and place a BOUNCE or some other scented anti-cling dryer sheet in the bag, place the equipment in the bag and seal. Store in a cool dark place for a month or so. When you open it should smell fresh and clean. Don't ask me how it works, osmosis? I have no idea but it's worth a shot.

Now I have only tried this once, I have been told by others they have had good luck with it and the time I tried it it seemed to work well for cigarette smoke. Take the offensive piece of equipment and find an airtight, seal-able freezer bag and place a BOUNCE or some other scented anti-cling dryer sheet in the bag, place the equipment in the bag and seal. Store in a cool dark place for a month or so. When you open it should smell fresh and clean. Don't ask me how it works, osmosis? I have no idea but it's worth a shot.

NO Radio use for a month?? LOL! Next trick.

Though, it might be an excuse for another radio.

I need to make another trip to U-do-it. That place is fun...

I'd take the covers off and vacuum both the guts of the radio and the insides of the covers. As an alternative, you can use canned air to blow crap out of the guts of the radio. Part of the odor might be from pet hair getting inside the radios. I'd also use something like Simple Green on the outside of the cases. Also, wipe down the plastic microphone case and the rubber mic cable as well. Cat odors in particular hang around so it might take a while to get it all gone, but it can be done.

Back
Top Bottom