'Sticky' Lead in high humidity?

Patriot

NES Member
Interesting phenomenon happened to me last night. I was loading some 230gr LRN in AR
brass and the crimping die was making a sound on the piston upstroke after sizing and it
was taking a moderate amount of effort to return it to it's home position. It's a Dillon die
with the removable insert. What was happening I think is that the bullet was 'sticky' would
be the best way that I could put it (probably residual lube). Some of that 'sticky' was getting
on the crimping die and when I was extracting it from the die the case would cause the crimping
die insert to move with it.

I took the die apart and cleaned it and there was some gunk on it. I had cleaned it prior to
starting the session. When I cleaned it again it ran fine for about a dozen rounds and then
it started to stick again. The bullets were somewhat tacky and I am guessing that the
humidity was contributing to the problem as I have loaded these before with no issues but
it was not in the humidity that these were being loaded in. I took the die insert out today
to see what it looked like and it did have some more crud on it. Anyone else have problems
loading lead in a high humidity environment? The rounds loaded fine btw.

Last edited:
Not that I can recall, but it sounds like a problem you would have w/beeswax or a similar lube.

I used hardcast bullets w/wax lube and there was no humidity problem. I now use poly coated bullets and have NO sticking problems, be it with the dies or barrel residue.

Back
Top Bottom