Sterno is Your Freind

Just a heads up to those living in Maine . I just recently got back from the Marden's in Lewiston , where I purchased a case (72) of Ready heat cans . They are made by Sterno , and having used a few of these during the last power outage , I can say they work well .

The price for a case ? I paid $4 for the whole case . That's 5.5 cents a piece . if you want them , you have to ask for them since they are not on the shelves . They keep them out back in the downstairs section .

Just thought I would let you guys know in case you wanted to stock up on some of these . For me , I'll be picking up another case when I head back to the city , before they run out .

Edit : my mistake , they are not "Ready Heat" , but instead are "Handy Fuel , Canned Heat" .

100_0378.jpg

Last edited:
I had some of this stuff in storage for a few years until I noticed that the contents seemed to have evaporated and the jelled fuel had shrunken and started to get hard.
Isnt this stuff alcohol based?
I dont think the tops are tight enough to preserve the fuel for long periods of time. At any rate, make sure to buy fresh product.

Yes I think it is Methyl alcohol and a few other bits. here is a web site with some good info including a recipe for making your own no idea if it is good or not..
http://zenstoves.net/Sterno.htm
I had some of this stuff in storage for a few years until I noticed that the contents seemed to have evaporated and the jelled fuel had shrunken and started to get hard.
Isnt this stuff alcohol based?
I dont think the tops are tight enough to preserve the fuel for long periods of time. At any rate, make sure to buy fresh product.

Back
Top Bottom