Stephen Willeford’s Story:

Great story. I'm also guilty of leaving my rifle magazines unloaded. That is something I will change.

Empty magazines are paper weights. Keep them loaded and ready to act. A friend has a couple of 30 rounders joined by tape in a V shape. Very quick reloads.

Wow. Just wow.

I always keep my prebans full of green tips. I replace the springs and followers, test them for function and reliability.

Wow. Just wow.

I always keep my prebans full of green tips. I replace the springs and followers, test them for function and reliability.
I read about a test someone conducted on magazine springs. I probably read it on this forum. The guy concluded that your magazine springs do not weaken if you store them loaded.

I keep one loaded mag in the bedroom rifle and 2 spare loaded mags in the rifle case right behind it.

Re-zeroed every 1-3 months as well. No sense in being ready to roll if I cant hit what I'm aiming at.

I read about a test someone conducted on magazine springs. I probably read it on this forum. The guy concluded that your magazine springs do not weaken if you store them loaded.
I foolishly started college as an engineering major ("foolishly", because I didn't have an adequate math background). I had a lot of fun that first semester, though. One class, "Engineering Materials", was about repeated strain. Strain is when a material is stressed, and then relaxed. Repeated strain can weaken a material, but stress alone doesn't weaken the material unless it exceeds a failure point. Keeping a magazine loaded doesn't strain the springs: only repeated cycles weaken them.

Steel has a lower limit, beyond which repeated strain cycless will not weaken it any further. (Aluminum doesn't.)

Of course, if the steel corrodes, that reduces its cross-section and strength. Rusty springs are a completely different matter.

You don't have to keep ALL your mags loaded, but a few will do as you never no when a mag will become faulty and cause issues. I believe in 2 is 1, 1 is none, so three mags loaded is sufficient IMO.

Mr. Willeford only had one mag, that wasn't fully loaded, and he had no shoes yet he still was able to shoot the killer and end the threat.

So put a pair of barefoot or minamalist running shoes next to the gun and magazine bandolier.

I foolishly started college as an engineering major ("foolishly", because I didn't have an adequate math background). I had a lot of fun that first semester, though. One class, "Engineering Materials", was about repeated strain. Strain is when a material is stressed, and then relaxed. Repeated strain can weaken a material, but stress alone doesn't weaken the material unless it exceeds a failure point. Keeping a magazine loaded doesn't strain the springs: only repeated cycles weaken them.

Steel has a lower limit, beyond which repeated strain cycless will not weaken it any further. (Aluminum doesn't.)

Of course, if the steel corrodes, that reduces its cross-section and strength. Rusty springs are a completely different matter.

I think the way springs are made by coiling steel wire around a bar into the right shape, they’re already stressed past the elastic limit, so they arent going to have unlimited lifetime.

Wow, what an incredible story, I am glad he was willing to share it. Incredibly important in the climate of the country IMO.

You don't have to keep ALL your mags loaded, but a few will do as you never no when a mag will become faulty and cause issues. I believe in 2 is 1, 1 is none, so three mags loaded is sufficient IMO.

Mr. Willeford only had one mag, that wasn't fully loaded, and he had no shoes yet he still was able to shoot the killer and end the threat.

So put a pair of barefoot or minamalist running shoes next to the gun and magazine bandolier.
Great point on the shoes. My sneekers just happen to be right there, never thought of that though. I did think to put my old pair of glasses right next to it though in case I forget to grab my primary pair in middle of the night confusion.

Vest with loaded mags for AR and holstered Glock, buck shot and other items needed, sits in safe. Slip on boat shoes in front of safe. Even the boy scouts say be prepared.

I, for one, am not going to put a ton of thought into a scenario as unlikely as this one. My long gun safe is not easily accessible anyways.

I think the way springs are made by coiling steel wire around a bar into the right shape, they’re already stressed past the elastic limit, so they arent going to have unlimited lifetime.
Springs are formed before being heat-treated. The heat treatment is what makes them springs, instead of baling wire.

Back
Top Bottom