Steel Target Set Up

New to steel targets. I got an 8" and 12" gong and a 12"x 20" silhouette (all 3/8") for christmas. Each target has a centered hole for single point hanging and 2 outer holes for the option of using two pieces of chain.
I've seen shepards hooks, bolt & spring combos on a post, chain, fire hose, and strips cut from tires. How do you guys rig your stands to best manage the movement of the steel while firing multiple rounds?

The center sucks. I use the two outer holes, chain and bolts with the threads peened after tightening. They hang from a 2x4 frame that slowly gets chewed up from the fragments. Better than bouncing off I guess. I tried the shepherds hook. It didn't last. Also I think if it hangs straight, not rotating on a single point, it's safer. Less chance of hitting the plate at a hard angle.

I have some 6" square steel plates into which I made a hole in the corner so they hang like diamond shapes, those are just on shepherd's hooks. I have two 12x20 steel silhouettes which I have mounted onto a post using a long 1/2" carriage bolt thru the center using washers and springs to hold some tension on them. They stay angled towards the shooter so they direct bullet fragments downward.

Sean

Use wood. Its cheaper, lasts longer, and its more available. I use old firehose to hang 12" and 16" gongs. I tried using chain but one 5.56 or 7.62 projectile will break even hardened chain steel. I welded up a simple stand. Two triangles connected together.

My gong came with "S" hooks, but at 100 yards a 7.62x54R would knock the plate off them every time... 5.56 was OK. I changed them out to hardened carriage bolts, with the threads sticking out the back attaching to the chain. There was an added bonus with this setup that the plate had a bit of a backward tilt so less lead splatter hit the paper thin frame.

I also upgraded the chain to the most high speed hardened stuff I could find, and so far it's held up much better than the stuff that came with it.

What ever you use, keep the bottom free swinging, see if you can angle it top forward, this will deflect all splatter into the group. If you put it flat or angled up, your chances of ricochet increase significantly.

Use wood. Its cheaper, lasts longer, and its more available. I use old firehose to hang 12" and 16" gongs. I tried using chain but one 5.56 or 7.62 projectile will break even hardened chain steel. I welded up a simple stand. Two triangles connected together.

I use wood stands also. Very inexpensive, very portable, and angled correctly, nothing comes back at you.

Jay

IMAG2655_zpsfztc0het.jpg

IMAG2654_zpsbadp2cbo.jpg

I bought a cheap rubber welcome mat and cut it into strips to hang my gongs from hooks (below) screwed to the back of a 2" x 4." I use metal conduit and the below brackets off ebay. The set up is lighter and more durable without chain.
269d1f7b-384b-4ca9-9c4f-f5e9caedda02_1000.jpg
s-l225.jpg

Back
Top Bottom