• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Steel Challenge @ New Bedford - Sunday 10/31

Thanks to a grant from the NRA Foundation, The Rod & Gun Club of New Bedford will start hosting Steel Challenge matches. We will have our very first Steel Challenge match on October 31, 2010, expected to be 5 or 6 stages. Registration open until 9:25am, shooting starts at 9:30am.

Initial entry: $15
Re-entry: $10 per gun

You can enter as many different divisions as you like, but you can enter each one only once. No armor piercing ammo allowed! You must register for all divisions before the match starts, and shoot all entries with your squad as you go.

Steel Challenge info can be found here: http://steelchallenge.com/

Info and directions to the club are here: http://www.rodgun-nb.org/directions.htm

Many, MANY different divisions to choose from:
Open
Limited
Stock Service Pistol
Enhanced Service Pistol
Custom Defensive Pistol
Revolver - Iron
Revolver - Optic
Single Action Revolver
Rimfire Pistol - Optic
Rimfire Pistol - Iron
Rimfire Rifle - Optic
Rimfire Rifle - Iron
Pistol Caliber Carbine-Optic
Pistol Caliber Carbine-Iron

Rimfire pistol, Rimfire rifle and Pistol Caliber Carbine start from the low-ready. All other divisions start from a holster. IDPA divisions require the use of a concealment garment. If you don’t have a holster, you can still play, you will just be assessed a small time penalty to make up for it.

Steel Challenge is lots of fun, involves very little or no movement, great for kids (as long as they are safe and have good gun handling skills - parent or guardian must be present). Shooters of all skill levels will enjoy this sport, from the most basic novice to the most experienced grand masters. New shooters welcome, as are spectators. Everyone on the range must wear eye and ear protection at ALL TIMES.

Looking forward to this, Steel challenge is a great time!!

Shooting open pistol
open rifle 22lr
SSP M&P 9MM

Minimum round count: you get 5 runs per stage (5 targets per stage). So if you don't miss, you'll need 25 rounds per stage. If we run 5 stages, that's a minimum of 125 rounds. Most people count on shooting a good bit more, and it's possible we could have 6 stages (but likely will just be 5).

22 revolver will shoot in the 22 pistol divisions, depending on sights.

I too am looking forward to this. Probably shooing pistol caliber carbine iron and either 22 open pistol, 22 iron rifle or SSP.

I've never shot anything like this, but it looks like fun and I'd love to try it. I have a M&P 9mm, so that will put me in the stock service pistol (SSP) ? I have 5 magazines, a comptac holster and mag pouches, anything else I should need? Other than the obvious eyes/ear protection.

MAShooter,
Has a shooting format been established?
Will shooters be squaded or is this to be a walk up style match?
If squaded how does it work if shooting mutiple guns?
I plan to shoot three.
Thanks!
Paul

Two questions:

What distances are the plates shot from?

Are belt mounted mag carriers required?

Check out this link for all the Steel Challenge stages... Not sure which of the 8 will be in the match but they will come from this list. In Steel Challenge the stages are always drawn from these eight.

http://steelchallenge.com/sc-world-match/stages/

You do all reloading off the clock - some people put their extra mags in a bag that they bring with them to the box, or, at some clubs they will put a table right next to the shooting box so you can place your mags or bag right next to you while you shoot.

Last edited:
With the exception of "Outer Limits" - 4 strings and movement between two boxes.

Also with "Showdown" there are two boxes - you shoot two strings from one box and three strings from the other.
Okay...but, the all strings are completed consecutively.

MAShooter,
Has a shooting format been established?
Will shooters be squaded or is this to be a walk up style match?
If squaded how does it work if shooting mutiple guns?
I plan to shoot three.
Thanks!
Paul

Hey MAShooter, I was kinda wondering the same as PMD about the squading.
Folks shooting multiple guns in a squad is not the best way to go,
it can be done but don't squad too many multiples in one squad.

You could run all your shooters thru with their one gun at the start of the morning,
then after they are all done run a second batch of folks with their 2nd gun or re-shooters
if they want. (this is usually half as many as the 1st batch)

If time allows have a third batch of shooters start after the 2nd batch finishes
(this number usually dwindles down to 6-10 shooters, and they run thru pretty fast)

I plan on shooting 2 guns fer sure and a 3rd if time allows, and as always I'll hang around
to help tear down.

Lettuce know here so we can plan accordingly.

Update:
We will setup 5 stages.

We will use squading like we normally do for IDPA and USPA matches (signup in the morning with an even split across the 5 stages).

People wanting to shoot extra guns will need to signup and pay registration fee for all guns in the morning when registering.

The squads will go through like a normal match. Those who registered for multiple guns will shoot just one gun as we go through the first full round of shooting. Those shooting extra guns will go through again after we finish the first full round of shooting. This will allow those who only shoot one gun to be finished and not held back by others wanting to shoot more.

Those shooting extra guns will be squaded on the same squads so when they finish, they can change gear and keep going (no waiting for other squads to finish).

Registration will be the normal 9am - 9:30am with shooting starting at 9:30am.

Looking forward to seeing you all on Sunday. Again, the minimum round count is 125 per gun. I suggest you plan on shooting up to 200 per entry and bring more incase of the need for reshoots.

I was just cleaning my browning buckmark for this match and noticed the recoil spring guide is broken. By some miracle would anyone have a spare I could buy from you at the match. It would be very much appreciated. Joe

I was just cleaning my browning buckmark for this match and noticed the recoil spring guide is broken. By some miracle would anyone have a spare I could buy from you at the match. It would be very much appreciated. Joe

Joe,
If you don't find one - let me know and I can lend you my open Buckmark.
If you want - best to email pauld "at" pmdandini.com

btw - Brownells carries most of the Buckmark parts.

'.... IDPA divisions require the use of a concealment garment. ...

Since when did Steel Challenge require a concealment garment? The SCSA rules state:

Handguns permitted for STOCK SERVICE PISTOL must conform to the requirements of IDPA Stock Service Pistol (SSP). Handguns permitted for STOCK SERVICE PISTOL must be Double Action, Double Action ONLY or Safe Action and be of 9mm or larger caliber...

They're talking about the guns, not the competitor's attire.

Back
Top Bottom